Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: has anyone ever added hardener to spray paint?  (Read 13418 times)

Adam_G

• SnoPro
has anyone ever added hardener to spray paint?
« on: April 17, 2013, 01:56:20 pm »
Has anyone ever emptied a can of spray paint into a container and mixed hardener with it?

I have a custom color spray paint but don't want to use it without a hardener of some sort.

If anyone knows if this can be done successfully, please let me know. Otherwise might have to get a paint mix at an automotive store.
Does the 5-second rule apply to soup????

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

beverlynsteve

• Global Moderator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Western CT
    Re: has anyone ever added hardener to spray paint?
    « Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 04:24:59 pm »
    Contact DDub on here......He is considered the "local paint stud" or now "LPS"

ddub

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Ride it like it is your Brothers!
      • Tips and Toys
    « Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 04:52:17 pm »
    Adam,
    You probably can, BUT

An aerosol uses special reducers and generally at a greater ratio than the paint used in a spray gun.  (interpretation, it will be thin)

If this is a can that a paint store mixed and it uses automotive style paint, you should be able to do it.

If this is a hardware store paint, you are on your own.  I'd do a test panel and make sure you like how it sprays, drys and looks before doing the real thing.

Also use caution when emptying the can.  It is under pressure.  I know you know that, but the lawyer is telling me to say it! 

LPS  LOL 

PolCat

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Old ain't so Bad De Pere, Wi PETT #27
      • VS BS Members Map
    « Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 11:23:43 pm »
    High Jack

Can you ad hardener to Rustoleum?  It does need to be thinned out to be able to shoot.
    Cheap is the way to go, the less you have in them, the more you can have! 

VS BS Members Map

ddub

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
      • Tips and Toys
    « Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 12:10:50 am »
    High Jack

Can you ad hardener to Rustoleum?  It does need to be thinned out to be able to shoot.

Sorry Polcat, no Jack here that I see.  Adam/Steve and Ddub,  BUT HI!

Qualification, I don't use rustoleum so I have no experience with it.  Not trying to be "smart" just saying it like it is.

I did a bit of checking though and found what I suspected.  First off, there is MANY versions of Rustoleum.  But what I found is that they seem to be either a "Acrylic Latex" (think house paint) or "Oil Based Enamel's".

Most likely you are using one of the "oil based enamels".  What you would probably purchase hardener for would be "acrylic enamel", "acylic urethane" and "alkyd enamel" (could be also called implement paint).  so, you can see that the chemistry is going to be different. 

Now, with that said, I know Valspar makes a hardener for "all implement enamel" whether oil based, or synthetic enamel.  So in a round about way, MAYBE.  LOL  Same advice to Adam, you are on your own, test it on a scrap piece first and make sure you are happy with the results.

I'll throw something out there though.  I wouldn't want to spray oil through my paint gun...........
    Now, if you have a "dedicated oil base enamel paint gun" it would probably be ok. 

I will also tell you this, oil based enamels do not seem to take automotive paints above it, most often it seems to lift.  The reducers in automotive paints are much harsher than what oil base can handle.

I hope I don't sound harsh or bashing, I am just trying to be upfront and informative.
    « Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:12:30 am by ddub »

PolCat

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
      • VS BS Members Map
    « Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 12:38:31 am »
    ddub thanks for being upfront with it.
    I have only painted 1 sled with a cheap gun from Fleet Farm.  It was a 69 Oly using Omni paint.
    I had just heard of people using Rustoleum and getting good results.  Thanks for researching it  ;D  I had heard that it sometimes takes awhile for the Rustoleum
    to dry :-\ and had wanted it to dry quicker.

I do not paint often so I am not putting a lot of $$ into a high quality gun. 

P.S. the Oly turned out pretty good  8)  maybe I'll look back at Omni again.
    I've heard the term "I added a touch of Pearl to the paint"  What exactly does that mean if you could comment on that?
    Does that give the paint a creamier look to it?
    Thanks

VS BS Members Map

way back when

• SnoPro
    « Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 12:42:09 am »
    My opinion is you can paint without hardener it just takes a long time to dry. Hardener lets you run a vehicle out of the paint booth faster.

ddub

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
      • Tips and Toys
    « Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 12:48:55 am »
    Polcat,
    Hardener most times actually slows the dry times down but then helps "lock the paint up" for a more through cure faster.  This is not a bad thing all the time.   The REAL job of hardener is to make it more chemical resistant.

Touch of pearl, you ask.  Here is a touch of pearl!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 01:27:56 am by ddub »

PolCat

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
      • VS BS Members Map
    « Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 01:18:04 am »
    ddub
    You know what I like best about this site?  It's been said many times but still not enough.
    You get guys like me who like working on sleds from just tuning up a motor or doing a restore or like I'm doing now a custom
    who get on here and ask questions and we get guys like you who give us your benefit of years doing what we only do a few times in our lifetime.
    Thank you for your time and knowledge on PAINT.  8)

Sorry Adam for taking over your post I'll back off now ;D

VS BS Members Map

ddub

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
      • Tips and Toys
    « Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 01:32:35 am »
    Polcat,
    thanks, but it's all good.  We all learn from each other. 

I have learned A LOT from different people here.  We are all just sharing.   8)

one shot

• SnoPro
    • Aint livin long like that
    « Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 01:54:25 am »
    How will you apply this paint, by brush or with a gun? Theres only about 4 oz.s of paint in an 8 oz. aresol can, the rest is reducer thinner and propellant. Depending on the paint in the can you may not need a hardener.

Adam_G

• SnoPro
    « Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 01:56:10 am »
    I will be using my HVLP setup. A little more inclined to buy automotive paint but exploring my options
    Does the 5-second rule apply to soup????

one shot

• SnoPro
    • Aint livin long like that
    « Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 02:12:45 am »
    You might want to look into buying some automotive type paint depending on how much painting your going do. Most single stage paints are somewhat affordable.

outRAGEous!

• SnoPro
    « Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 06:13:43 pm »
    Someone mentioned Rustoleum spray paint.  I have been using the new (new to me anyway) Professional grade Rustoleum spray paint with excellent results.  It has a very good quality nozzle and is much thicker than most spray so it builds up very fast and dries to a very nice gloss finish.  Not the fastest dry time, but my experience is that the slower drying paints are usually the hardest and most durable.

Racing Elvis

• Global Moderator
    • SnoPro
      • RUPPSHOP
    « Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 06:44:58 pm »
    rattle can paint is a 1k paint meaning no additives needed. as this paint does dry and get hard it is called reversable paint. meaning thinners, gas, carb cleaners, can loosen the paint and take it off like stripper does. they do now make rattle cans with a plunger in the bottom of the can, you push that up and it injects a hardener into the paint, making it a 2k paint. that may be more up your alley what your looking for. i have tried right here in my body shop what you have tried with no success. it may be the type of automotive hardener i use in my ppg paint that doesnt mix with the rattle can paint but i had no luck regardless. i would be glad to help out if i could....b.s.171