Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Remember when walking in to a sled dealership.....  (Read 12807 times)

randy

• SnoPro
  • R-C FARMS
Re: Remember when walking in to a sled dealership.....
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2013, 07:58:05 pm »
NO NOT ARROW PARK,THESE WERE THE RACES RUN BY THE LANNON EASY RIDERS CLUB,THEY WERE IN A FIELD RIGHT BEHIND THE BUS COMPANY ON MAIN STREET THE ENTRANCE FOR THE RACE WAS ON LANNON ROAD RIGHT PAST THE LANNON BASE BALL PARK ,THE MERCS WERE IN THERE HAY DAY AND KICKED ASS ON EVERYTHING THERE IT  WAS COOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,KIDS WOULD RIDE DIRT BIKES AND MINI BIKES FOR MILES TO WATCH THE RACES ,,,, ;D

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

emrickmn

• SnoPro
    • Vintage Snowmobile Restoration. com
      • Vintage Snowmobile Restoration
    « Reply #46 on: March 20, 2013, 08:02:04 pm »
    Anyone ever hear of Major Marine in Russels Point?
    Dad was good friends with the owner and we'd buy a new Polaris or two every year from him.  Kinda cool to get the VIP treatment when we entered the place.  I did the local races so I always had stuff to talk about.
    79 RXL +++++++++
    79 Centurion +++++++
    78 RXL +++
    78 TX +
    78 TXL
    78 Doo S/S
    77 TXL           
    76 SnoPro 340 +
    ------------------------------

Vics stuff

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Go Big Or Go Home
    « Reply #47 on: March 20, 2013, 10:01:21 pm »
     I remember back in the fall of 1972 when I was 14 and was racing Polaris from a local shop here in Alaska and was restricted to the 250 cc sleds in the Juniors class. In the show room floor set for the entire season  1973 Polaris 650 Starfire.  WOW did I always like to stop by that shop and drool over  possibly having one of those BAD BOYZ.   40 years later I still get that feeling. I have not given up yet.
     Vic 

ski-dew

• Super-Mod
    « Reply #48 on: March 21, 2013, 12:25:25 am »
    I also am from SE WI.Sussex actually.I am very famaliar with Town and Country.We bought quite a few sleds from there.My dad bought them from there starting in 1970.Many good memories.Most time was spent down in partsand service under the barn.I remember they had an Olympique on the roof and then later the Blizzard.Randy the guy you remember down in parts was Mike always had a smoke and wore an old Ski Doo winter hat.Always enjoyed looking at the used sleds down there.I got two RVs from them a regular 77 and my CCRV.I will never forget getting that CC and thinking how ugly yhe windsheild was.I remember getting the first regular 77 and saying how fast it went through gas and Mike suggesting I buy a CC seat with the rear tank.I did and never put it on I still have that.Also became good friends with Joe Mingari as my dad always bought new sleds only from him.I cant remember the name of the other guy who worked in service.Still remember Mikes red Dodge Dart sitting behind the barn by the door where you go in.My dad even saved the wood crates that said Ski Doo from his new sleds.I also remember going to Badger Kart to get Parts for my Ruppster.Sussex had a Rupp dealer B&H Motorsports.owned by my friends dad.They still have a bunch of Rupp stuff.Including NOS Ruppster bodies and a Rupp L/C Nitro still in the crate.Bought a few new Roadsters from them I still have one.Now its a pool store.Also in toen was Sussex Mills they sold Bolens.I remeber the outside of the barn must of had 20 metal Bolens signs still on it when it was torn down in the 90s.Now a retirement village.In the late 80s and early 90s I worked at Reichards Performance Center.It was awesome getting paid to go to all the shows and BS with everyone.Went to MN Il and WI.Thats when Reichards was in the back of Yamaha Outlet Center.Now an appliance center.Also getting paid to ride new modded sleds but unfortunatly they were Yamahas (die hard Doo guy).They gave me a 91 Exciter to use all winter all modded.Used to hit 96mph or so.Well thats enough for now.More later.

EricR

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Official Tillotson ambassador to the south!
      • Jethros Garage
    « Reply #49 on: March 21, 2013, 12:53:04 am »
    I grew up in south eastern Todd county MN, bordered by Stearns Co to the south and Morrison close by to the west.  In Long Prarie MN Hillig Impliment was a Ski Doo dealer as well as John Deere, they sold Ski Doos before JD started making sleds so I guess JD did not make them quit.  I dropped my name in a can for a raffle when I was about 14 and in there getting John Deere "B" parts, later found I won a bug zapper, which they let me trade for a JD snowmobile coat. I still have it but can't wear a medium any more that's for sure!

Hilllig no longer sells JD and appears to be a car dealership of some sort.  I recall in Melrose, MN Melrose TV and Marine sold Kawasakis,  there was a Ski Doo dealer in Sauk Center and I am not sure if it was Center Sports, the current dealer just at the old location.  There was a Van Beck sports on HWY 28 coming in to Sauk too, the building still says Van Beck on it, I think they were Cat? 

I also recall a Skiroule sign outside an old garage in Sauk too.

In the little town of Grey Eagle I was from, Gary Glockzin sold Moto Skis, but that must have been before my memory but there were a LOT of pre Bombardier MOto Skis around the township.

Perhaps Mike Meaghar who is about ten years older than me and from GE will chime in.   
    I scatter them from the midwest to south of the Mason Dixon

Throttle Junkie35

• SnoPro
    « Reply #50 on: March 21, 2013, 01:34:49 am »
    In the late 80s and early 90s I worked at Reichards Performance Center.It was awesome getting paid to go to all the shows and BS with everyone.Went to MN Il and WI.Thats when Reichards was in the back of Yamaha Outlet Center.Now an appliance center.Also getting paid to ride new modded sleds but unfortunatly they were Yamahas (die hard Doo guy).They gave me a 91 Exciter to use all winter all modded.Used to hit 96mph or so.Well thats enough for now.More later.
    Cool story ski dew!! I used to work at the Out House in the mid 90's. We probably ran into each other back then.
     My 90 exciter does about 95. Mostly Reicahard bolt ons. :)
    Lean it out til she blows, then go up one size. Optimum.

sno-pro79

• Modified
    « Reply #51 on: March 21, 2013, 11:53:30 am »
    I am from northwest Ohio. My Dad was a partner in Sno-Jet Dealer from 68 until Kawasaki bought them and tried to make them sell motorcycles.
    They Raced USAC sprint cars and Silver Crown Dirt Cars and did not have the time in the summer.
    I can remember riding a new SST 440 FA when I was around 10 yrs old.
     West Branch Mi was where I remember going riding UP North .
    They never had any Thunder Jets, but we would go get parts at Van's, a Sno-Jet dealer up by Ann Arbor and I remember 5-6 of them sitting in a row.
    I wish I had a picture.
     There was a Local  SkiDoo Dealer, Action Marine owned by Myron Smitley in the late 60's/early 70's he raced Blizzards,back in  93  my buddy got to dig through hisrace  old trailer sitting out behind his house and found a couple Kelsey Hayes Master Cyls in the Box.

I don't remember any Local Oval races , but there was Drag racing on the Ottawa River and Grass Drags at Hines Farm west of Toledo.
    I bought My first sled a 76 Massey Ski Wiz in about 1981, Then I bought 1980 Blizzard 9500 in 82, Bought a 79 440 Superstock Skidoo in 85 and Drag Raced until 96 I owned 7 sleds at one time during the 80's ,now all I have is a 1980 Ultra Sonic and an 81 9500.

skidoonut3

• SnoPro
    « Reply #52 on: March 21, 2013, 01:15:09 pm »
    I remember when my dad bought our 69 12/3 in 68 and brought it in for warranty and a check up. Saw all the new sleds at the Phils Gulf gas station- ski doo dealer in Virginia MN on the end of main street.. That memory will last forever. They even let us test a few.

Triple Z

• SnoPro
    • Lapeer & Lupton Mich Host Ogemaw Hills Ride
    « Reply #53 on: March 21, 2013, 05:11:53 pm »
    I can remember going into Wohlfeil's Hardware-- which was a Ski Doo dealer for many years back in the late 60's and 70's.  We lived about 10 miles away, and it was not uncommon for me and some buddies to ride our bicycles down there just to ogle the sleds.

This is where dad bought our first sled in the fall of 69-- a brand spanking new 70 Oly 335E.   

The other dealership that I used to spend alot of time was up at Spicers Boat City in Houghton Lake MI.      They handled Cat and several other brands throughout the years.    For a brief time they had the Suzuki line of sleds, and we ended up buying several of their close out 73 292's brand new in the crate from them.    Always enjoyed heading down to Spicers to dream.

the 3rd dealership that i spent a lot of time at was Drapers in Saginaw.   They were a big yamaha dealer and i had good friend that worked there through high school and after graduation too.    The Draper family was pretty big into drags and ovals too- so it made it more fun to see some of the race stuff.     

tons of neat memories. 
    65 D100,65-170,66 D100,66 140D,67 H15 Panther,68 PantherH17, 69 Panther H19,69 Panther P19SS,70 Panther 295J ,  70 634 Mod P
    70 Puma 295 EXT,70 Panther295 EXT, 71 292 EXT Special,71 340 PumaZ,72 250&290 EXT,73 250 El'T ,74 295 El'tigre,76 Jag3000,75-76-77 250Z,78 El'Tigre 6000,
    79 CCC ,80snopro

racinfarmer

• SnoPro
    • That guy
    « Reply #54 on: March 22, 2013, 03:49:51 am »
    I think my favorite memory of going to the dealer was going to pick out our 2002 ZR440 Sno-Pros.  OMG, those looked like nothing else I'd ever seen before. 

I guess the dealer too because they were both front and center in the showroom when we showed up.

TakeItToTheLimit

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • '78 MISA Sprint Oval Stock D Masters State Champ
    « Reply #55 on: March 22, 2013, 11:18:48 am »
    The first 3 sleds that I ever rode were purchased by my Grandfather, Uncle & older Cousins (Evinrude, Johnson & Ski Doo).  These were purchased from Beck & Hyde just N of St. Johns, MI on M27...and Shippie & Smith in Owosso, MI on M21.  These were the first dealerships that I frequented in the '60s.

Stopping at Spicer's at Houghton Lake was also a "must" when "up north".

Ironicly, my Father never purchased one...but my Sister & I were "bitten" by the bug early.

-Rich
    Making sure "Nothing Runs Like A Deere" since 1971
    Some are historians...others made history

skidoonut3

• SnoPro
    « Reply #56 on: March 22, 2013, 02:40:13 pm »
    When we would go to Eveleth MN to buy parts for our ski-doos and admire all the new sleds and accs. Loved to see all the new sled and clothing. Also going to Hayden Marine in Biwabik MN thats where I bought my first sled a 1970 335 oly and wish I still had it.

70Oly399

• SnoPro
    • Groton, VT
    « Reply #57 on: March 22, 2013, 03:11:24 pm »
    I remember in 95 I was 12 yrs old and got my first sled, a 1970 Olympic.  Dad and I went to Benoits shop to get driveshaft bearings and seals and the place was full of race sleds.  They weren't a Ski-Doo dealer anymore but still had a repair shop and worked on theirs and others race sleds.  They dug out some old dusty parts for me and showed us all the cool racers they were prepping for the next weekend.

69MarkIII

• SnoPro
    « Reply #58 on: March 23, 2013, 11:31:49 pm »
    It's sad really. We used to have several dealers in our area when I was in high school, and none of 'em are there anymore! There was Edema Ski-Doo, where I bought my '98 Formula 500 new. Just down the road from them was Leader's Marine, which sold Arctic Cat, and just down the road from that was Flannery Polaris.

Now the closest ones are an old Arctic dealer 25 miles south, or a Ski-Doo dealer 40 miles north!

1958 Beeline Sapphire 16' speed boat.
    1960 Studebaker Lark Regal wagon.
    1967 Ski-Doo Olympique.
    1968 Alouette GT "Snoopy".
    1969 Alouette GT "Flash".
    1969 Skiroule S-370.
    1970 Boa-Ski Mark I 246.
    1970 Scorpion Mark IV 400.

Plum Street Vintage Speed.

ski-dew

• Super-Mod
    « Reply #59 on: March 24, 2013, 12:25:49 am »
    AeroPark in menomonee falls had radar runs and they were put on by the SnowBirds Snowmobile Club.This is such a cool thread.It really gets my mind and memories rolling.I will have to post a vintage pic of me and my buddy that made the front page of the local paper.Me on my 77 RVCC and him on his 76 Pantera 5000.We put hundreds of miles on per season and never really left town.Just up to Sussex park and out to Aero Park and everywhere in beetween.That was 1984 when I was 12 and just got my license.I remember being out on lake Kesus and watching a guy on a new VMax or SRX and my buddy told me to "Go Get Him".He was doing full throttle blasts across the lake and I came up on him half way across looked at him hit it and pulled him easy.We met up at Kandlers bar and he was pissed,he asked me what size my sled was I said"340" he said I was full of S#!T no way"Such great memories.More reflections later.