Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Remember when walking in to a sled dealership.....  (Read 12808 times)

Throttle Junkie35

• SnoPro
Remember when walking in to a sled dealership.....
« on: March 19, 2013, 09:17:26 pm »
 When I was a kid I remember going to several dealerships for parts and having a feeling of total excitement. Looking at all the new sleds and listening to my dad and the guys behind the counter talk tech was always something I looked forward to. There was a Yamaha/Cat dealer (Reichard Yamaha) in our town. I remember everytime we would try and order parts for our 69 panther they would have to call another dealership because they lost or could never find the parts book for the 69.
 At that time I was maybe four or five years old, 81 or 82ish, I actually remember seeing the all new 81 SRX and remember begging my parents to buy me the yz50 or 60 that was in the showroom.
 There was also a Rupp/ Kawasaki dealer that was still in business untill the late 80's on the north side of milwaukee.(Badger Kart) We were regular customers there as me and my brother seemed to find Rupp after Rupp sitting in back yards the were usually picked up for as little as 25 dollars. Back then I remember buying an nos clutch spring (white) $20and a lower RH side pannel for $70. I also remenber seeing a mint metal flake blue Scorpion Whip in there show room. Another sled that I wanted soooooo bad.
 There is still one of those good ole dealerships left in my area. It was a snojet/ Kawasaki dealer back in the day. The guy still runs a repair shop and has a ton of sno-jet and kawi parts. Everytime I walk in there it takes me back to the early 80's during my childhood. There's always good conversation and never leave with out learning something. My how things have changed.
Lean it out til she blows, then go up one size. Optimum.

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

Racing Elvis

• Global Moderator
    • SnoPro
      • RUPPSHOP
    Re: Remember when walking in to a sled dealership.....
    « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 10:40:40 pm »
    throttle junkie, sounds like great  memories. i was able to buy badger cart sales out and get all of there rupp inventory. they had alot left.
    when i was a kid, my dad bought 2 brand new moto-ski's. i remember going to several differnt moto-ski dealer ships back then, i remember sitting on a 1980 moto-ski super sonic, i told my dad i was going to have one of these some day, just awesome memories!!!!,....b.s.171

VinRacer12

• SnoPro
    • Oregon
      • Western States Vintage Snowmobile Association
    « Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 11:16:25 pm »
    One of my fondest memories was going in to the "Ellis Alpine House" ... our local Polaris / Rupp dealer. I would spend at least a couple of hours there everytime I went in and would see others come in and talk the race talk !!!  I ended up working there for one season wrenching on and setting up the new sleds and they even sponsored me for a few races.  Our Ski Doo and Merc dealer was not quit as personable, but still loved going in to the store... especially when the 76 Twisters showed up. I actually had one ordered but the first race was just two weeks away so I went to the NEW Polaris dealer about 30 miles away and bought a new 250 Starfire !!!!  Been with Polaris ever since.

tomahawk cat

• SnoPro
    • just dont build them like that anymore
    « Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 11:17:35 pm »
    badger kart on fond du lac ave,, been there many times, picked up a 76 Lc 440 nitro from them and back plenty of times for parts, they had a guy there name larry cottum who was a big racer back then, use to get his named messed up with the great arctic act tracer larry coltom  .  larry cottum used to race with jimmy the greek if im right,, they had a race team called Black and gold way back then out of lannon wis, by the way now you wouldn't really want to go to the old badger kart a pretty bad area. lots of empty apartments and boarded up ones times change

randy

• SnoPro
    • R-C FARMS
    « Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 11:22:49 pm »
    i know were you are talking about i go there to ,,,,rockfield always a good story it takes me 2 hours when i buy some plugs but thats why i go there ,great guy,,,,for me its the cigarette smell every time i went for skidoo parts  at town and country in the falls the dude at the counter had a cig lit,and that mixed with the smell of 2 stroke smoke  had a unique smell so when i go in by rockfield that smoke smell always takes me back,,,,i remember going into the scorpion dealer ship in lannon and drooling on the scorpions on the show room floor,i can still see the big cuyona ? oil display,and the box of free scorpion race posters,and the scorpion black leather fur lined gloves,,,,,,,,,i remember seeing brand new 77 skidoo rv,s at town and country and thinking they were the coolest sled i had ever seen,then i saw the bull whip at the lannon dealer and was confused on which sled was cooler i still am not sure,,, i use to go to that rupp dealer to brings back memories ,,,,,,,,,,,things were sure better in the 70,s

sharrk

• Modified
    « Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 11:32:58 pm »
    Wow!  I worked next door To Badger Kart at Southeast Sales for a summer in 1979.  I assembled new motorcycles out of the crate.  I was eighteen at the time.  Summer job.  I also went to Reichard's in Richfield many times for parts for my 1976 Yamaha YZ125X.  I also bought parts for my 1974 Chaparall SSX 440 at the harware store on 76th and Mill Road back then.  So, where is this Sno-Jet/Kawasaki dealer you are referring to?   I'm restoring a Kawasaki powered 1982 Liquifire now.

sharrk

whisper jetter

• SnoPro
    « Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 11:33:24 pm »
    TJ35, I have been down there and bought some parts from Warren. He has giving me a lot of great INFO. It is a two hour drive for me and always a hour or two to visit with him.

Throttle Junkie35

• SnoPro
    « Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 01:04:35 am »
    throttle junkie, sounds like great  memories. i was able to buy badger cart sales out and get all of there rupp inventory. they had alot left.
    when i was a kid, my dad bought 2 brand new moto-ski's. i remember going to several differnt moto-ski dealer ships back then, i remember sitting on a 1980 moto-ski super sonic, i told my dad i was going to have one of these some day, just awesome memories!!!!,....b.s.171
    So did you ever end up with a moto-ski?? I know you have my old rupp jacket. I gave it to one of your former employees last summer in a deal for some cat parts. As much as I wanted to keep the jacket I knew it was going to a good home and that was the only reason I gave it up. I had gotten that jacket with a 71 440 sprint I bought from a friend of mine around 1992-93. Next time Im up in your area I sure would like to see your collection. My all time favorite sled is the 75 Nitro F/A........some day I'll have one of them. lol

Throttle Junkie35

• SnoPro
    « Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 01:09:19 am »
    badger kart on fond du lac ave,, been there many times, picked up a 76 Lc 440 nitro from them and back plenty of times for parts, they had a guy there name larry cottum who was a big racer back then, use to get his named messed up with the great arctic act tracer larry coltom  .  larry cottum used to race with jimmy the greek if im right,, they had a race team called Black and gold way back then out of lannon wis, by the way now you wouldn't really want to go to the old badger kart a pretty bad area. lots of empty apartments and boarded up ones times change
    Ya, That area went down hill pretty fast. Jimmy the Greek raced a few races for the kawi dealer I spoke of earlier.I know Jimmy the greek Jr stops at the old dealership from time to time.

Throttle Junkie35

• SnoPro
    « Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 01:12:57 am »
    i know were you are talking about i go there to ,,,,rockfield always a good story it takes me 2 hours when i buy some plugs but thats why i go there ,great guy,,,,for me its the cigarette smell every time i went for skidoo parts  at town and country in the falls the dude at the counter had a cig lit,and that mixed with the smell of 2 stroke smoke  had a unique smell so when i go in by rockfield that smoke smell always takes me back,,,,i remember going into the scorpion dealer ship in lannon and drooling on the scorpions on the show room floor,i can still see the big cuyona ? oil display,and the box of free scorpion race posters,and the scorpion black leather fur lined gloves,,,,,,,,,i remember seeing brand new 77 skidoo rv,s at town and country and thinking they were the coolest sled i had ever seen,then i saw the bull whip at the lannon dealer and was confused on which sled was cooler i still am not sure,,, i use to go to that rupp dealer to brings back memories ,,,,,,,,,,,things were sure better in the 70,s
    I dont think I was ever in town and country for sled parts, but my dad bought plenty of simplicity parts from there though, so Im no stranger to the place. Do you remember the Blizzard they had on the roof?? I always thought that was cool as h***!

Throttle Junkie35

• SnoPro
    « Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 01:16:44 am »
    Wow!  I worked next door To Badger Kart at Southeast Sales for a summer in 1979.  I assembled new motorcycles out of the crate.  I was eighteen at the time.  Summer job.  I also went to Reichard's in Richfield many times for parts for my 1976 Yamaha YZ125X.  I also bought parts for my 1974 Chaparall SSX 440 at the harware store on 76th and Mill Road back then.  So, where is this Sno-Jet/Kawasaki dealer you are referring to?   I'm restoring a Kawasaki powered 1982 Liquifire now.

sharrk
    76th and mill?? I think there is a good year store there, a strip mall, a vacant lot, and some sort of fast food joint there now. Been a couple of years since I was down in that area. Where exactly was the hardware store??

Throttle Junkie35

• SnoPro
    « Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 01:20:46 am »
    TJ35, I have been down there and bought some parts from Warren. He has giving me a lot of great INFO. It is a two hour drive for me and always a hour or two to visit with him.
    Ya Warren is a hoot. He also is a heck of a nice guy and extremely knowlegable. Must be some locals on here. I was surprised you guys figured out what sno jet/ kawi guy I was talking about. But then again, how many dealerships of that kind are still up and running?LOL

CARS

• SnoPro
    • Christopher Rathman, Comfrey MN
    « Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 01:22:48 am »
    Great memories, but what was rattling around in my head as you were talking about going here and going there were two things.

A.  Remember when there were dealers in every town?  Now I can't even think of where the "local" dealership is.

B.  Remember when you could see what brand of sled it was???  Now you literally have to read the sled to know what you are looking at.  What happened to company pride showing off THEIR colors???
    1972 Suzuki XR400-Restored
    1980 Yamaha Enticer 340-Rider
    1985 Polaris SS 340-Rider
    2-1971 Yamaha SL292-Future Projects/Trading Bait
    1972 AMF Ski-daddler XX Racer-Future Project

1969340dart

• SnoPro
    « Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 01:25:02 am »
    I remember going to Bob's Yamaha City in Wisconsin Rapids, WI from my earliest childhood memories. (now called Donahue Super Sports, still same family owned)  My Dad had bought a '70 SL396 new from there and owned it til '83 or so. We would go to buy oil or "skags" as Dad called them and often ran into Dick Trickle. Was always interesting hearing him, Bobby Donahue Sr., my father, and many others tell stories. That was a wonderful place and time with all the new Yamaha's and Moto-Ski's they sold there. I wish I would have taken a camera there, as looking back it was race history in the making. Bobby Jr. was still in High School, and we all knew then he was destined for greatness.
    '77 TX340, '77 TX250, '76 TX250, '76 TX340, '82 TX-L, '80 TX-C, '95 RXL 40th,  '04 Legend 1000,  '03 Legend 600,   '71 Bolens Racer free-air triple 440, '74 Eltigre 295 Mod, '74 Eltigre 295, '71 Lynx 292, '70 Panther 399.

Throttle Junkie35

• SnoPro
    « Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 01:25:20 am »
    Anybody remember the Sno-Jet dealer in Butler?? Don's tire and auto?? I had a guy buy a sled from me a few years ago and we got to talking and his dad was the owner. No sleds anymore, but the place is still in business doing auto repair.