Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Vics MIRA Enduro RXL 340 restoration project  (Read 52375 times)

Vics stuff

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
  • Go Big Or Go Home
Vics MIRA Enduro RXL 340 restoration project
« on: February 09, 2012, 02:14:59 pm »
 Well I bought this sled 2 years ago from a fellow sled head in Northern Michigan. It had spent its first 2 years as a race sled in the MIRA circuit.  Ran and finished the SOO  500 12th  in 1978 and 13th in 1979. Planned to just clean up and take around to some of the local events . After this sled had sat dormant for over 25 years the steering was rusted and could not steer , the brakes were in serious need of attention and the carbs were seriously corroded. With that , I started the disassembly process to just clean up this vintage racer and get it mobile again. As this process continued , things got out of hand. Now I have this sled completely stripped and rebuilding and repairing everything . I will try to get some pics of the before and during process posted. I just need someone who can post them on this forum for me.
 Vic
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:38:03 am by Vics stuff »

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

clem79

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    Re: My MIRA Enduro RXL 340 restoration project
    « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 02:18:32 pm »
    You can email them to me, if you need my email again just let me know.

-Adam
    Wanted: 1982 Arctic Cat's(sleds and parts)

smoknbs

• SnoPro
    • 2 time Ivy League Discus CHAMPION Victoria Buhr
    « Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 02:39:10 pm »
    waiting to see this
    Reget nothing and only say your sorry if you REALLY mean it !

GHenry

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • ... if that's what you want me to do, Nance ...
    « Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 01:06:36 am »
    C'mon Vic .... you can't start a thread like this without pics .............

INDY LIKES PICS.
    VINTAGE YAMAHA PERFORMANCE / PARTS AND RESTORATIONS - AVAILABLE THROUGH KOCHS PERFORMANCE, MIDDLE INLET WISCONSIN

(715) 854 - 2463

LEON AND PENNE WOULD BE HAPPY TO ASSIST ANYONE IN NEED

AWARD WINNING RESTORATIONS

VINTAGE YAMAHA PARTS, THE RIGHT PARTS AT THE RIGHT PRICE WITH KNOWLEDGEABLE SERVICE

rotax to the max

• SnoPro
    • keep your rotax to the max
    « Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 01:57:21 am »
    his is going to be GOOD 
     Please Share
     mike
    keep your rotax to the max it's easier to hold on doo

Vics stuff

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Go Big Or Go Home
    « Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 02:16:13 pm »
     Now that I have your attention !!!!!!!   LOL , I will post some pics this afternoon.
     I was not aware how flimsy these were but Brad and Jerry and Steve did their job and took care of business.

Edgeman

• SnoPro
    « Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 02:36:41 pm »
    Vic, sounds good, cant wait to see pics.
    1973 Polaris Colt SS 295 (a work in progress)
    1973 Polaris Charger, 295
    1971 Polaris Mustang,488

GHenry

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • ... if that's what you want me to do, Nance ...
    « Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 12:39:17 am »
    Posting these for Vic ........ he can add the commentary to the pics -

Hopefully he will chime in shortly.  I know he can explain the pics better than I can.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 12:59:25 am by GHenry »
    VINTAGE YAMAHA PERFORMANCE / PARTS AND RESTORATIONS - AVAILABLE THROUGH KOCHS PERFORMANCE, MIDDLE INLET WISCONSIN

(715) 854 - 2463

LEON AND PENNE WOULD BE HAPPY TO ASSIST ANYONE IN NEED

AWARD WINNING RESTORATIONS

VINTAGE YAMAHA PARTS, THE RIGHT PARTS AT THE RIGHT PRICE WITH KNOWLEDGEABLE SERVICE

KKWILL

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 12:45:01 am »
     ???
    Doesn't require social validation.

yamaha nutz

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • It's All Junk But I can Fix it
    « Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 12:49:44 am »
    looks like this one will take a while but will look great when finished    ;D ;D ;D
    YAMAHA ......... YA I GOT 1 OR 2

Only stupid question is one never told

The Truth Hurts ..........Deal With It !!!

PETT Member # 84

Vics stuff

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Go Big Or Go Home
    « Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 02:28:20 am »
     Thanks  G Henry for posting the pics of my project.
     The first picture is a shot of it when I bought it from a individual from Michigan. The sled sat outside in the elements for many years. I originally just wanted to do a clean up and get it running ,leaving  it this way . After the years setting the steering was rusted so bad that the skis could not be turned. I proceeded to work on the steering issue , meaning that I had to remove the motor . As I removed the drive clutch I noticed the it was full of leaves and grass. Well have to disassemble the clutch and clean it right !!!!!!!!!!!. Well carbs were removed to have a look at the pistons , well there was a lot of oxidation in the carbs and boots. Good thing that I did not pull the motor over. Now the motor will be disassembled , freshened up and detailed.
     After seeing this , I realize that I would not be happy with just a cosmetic make over . Now the restoration began.

In the second picture , the top of the tunnel is damaged from loose tracks , I am going to slice the tunnel and replace the top . There were running board heat exchangers installed and removed leaving mounting holes and coolant hose holes. I am going to  plug tig weld all holes closed. The clutch guard area had seen a lot of weld buildup. This all will be cleaned and rewelded back to factory.

In the third picture , the rear running boards have had a bracket welded on , These are coming off and cleaned up.

In the fourth picture , the ski tips had been hammered and damaged. I am going to rebuild these back to like new.

In the fifth picture , the front of the tunnel had seen many tracks and objects gone through here. I am going to remove the bulkhead from the tunnel and cut out the tunnel front and fab a new replacement.

I am really glad that I am a component aluminum welder and fabricator to tackle this project. It was just going to be a short quick project , but as some know me , I am a stickler for detail and perfection.

The tunnel does have the qualifying numbers scribed on the side. I am going to leave those there.

I did contact Arctic Restorations at Larry Prestons recommendations and had the guys hand lay a new hood just like the original one. I am going to hang the original on the shop wall.

Will try to keep everyone posted as to the progress.  Shooting to have done before the snow is gone.
       Will see.

taxidermy man

• Super-Mod
    « Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 02:31:06 am »
    Would be very interesting to here what modifications were done to the sled to run the soo-500 and then to finish so well. Thanks for sharing your project with us.

VinRacer12

• SnoPro
    • Oregon
      • Western States Vintage Snowmobile Association
    « Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 03:52:42 am »
    RXL restoration !!!  I can relate to what lies ahead for you. Keep a dedicated camera at the ready.

bucky

• SnoPro
    « Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 04:08:57 am »
    I got to see this sled before you bought it very nice to see it go to someone thats going to restore it
    1980 eltigre 6000 with 1986 530 motor with twin pipes
    1983 indy 600
    1984 eltigre 6000 hpe pipes
    199? exciter 2 psi twins
    2001 zr 600 psi twins
    2006 crossfire 700

TakeItToTheLimit

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • '78 MISA Sprint Oval Stock D Masters State Champ
    « Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 09:50:34 am »
    Vic...I love the fact that you are doing a complete restore...and documenting the condition of the sled after running the MIRA Circuit.  It sounds like it will end up a thing of beauty...with history.

I am always hoping to locate the '78 RXL 340 fielded by Roger Anderson's Team.  In '79, it was qualified in the top 10 at the TC250, TB250 and even (6th) at the Soo I-500 against much larger engine displacement entries.  In fact, it was the only sled to qualify in the top 10 at all 3 legs of the Triple Crown.  Quite a statement about the "little 340".

-Rich
    Making sure "Nothing Runs Like A Deere" since 1971
    Some are historians...others made history