Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Star Car build by High School Students  (Read 93689 times)

72 Blizzard 340

• SnoPro
  • John Taylor
Re: Very special members need our help
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 10:33:12 pm »
WAIT WAIT WAIT..... They got a star car? lucky kids.
If you cant move it, paint it.

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

hoppy

• SnoPro
    Re: Star Car build by High School Students
    « Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 10:50:55 pm »
    arent these as rare as a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow??!!! Can you please tell us how this project came to you and your kids? What an awesome project. I might have done well in school if we did things like this. Way cool. Please keep the pictures coming. Do the kids know exactly what a great piece that is to be working on? Seriously those things are hard to find and when you do they are big bucks. Wow cool stuff.

SnowAttitude

• SnoPro
    « Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 11:34:02 pm »
    I was gonna say... "how did you get your hands on a Star car". ..rare.... I hope the kids know how lucky they are......I wish that was my project.... :D

Have the students load up the pics, thats there job   ;) :)

I would think?? Waconia this weekend would have some engine/parts laying around....

Good luck

God is Great
    Beer is Good
    People are Crazy

71TXman

• Global Moderator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #33 on: January 28, 2012, 12:57:36 am »
    Very cool project!

Like many others, I am also curious to know how you found this gem!

pdafast

• SnoPro
    « Reply #34 on: January 28, 2012, 01:13:03 am »
    If you guys need any boring done on the cylinder or any crankshaft work done let me know I will help you guys out.

Jkocherer

• Modified
    « Reply #35 on: January 29, 2012, 03:35:14 pm »
    We just changed semesters and I will be training in new kids.  There are three returning as Independant study that will be heading into engine mechanics so the car will continue along on the restoration I think.  There will be a lull in activity for a couple of weeks while we cover safety, tools, etc you all know the drill in classroom routine.  Hope Waconia was fun for those of you who went!

When the head was popped off (see pic) it was discovered that one of the piston rings was cracked in two which might explain part of the power issues on acceleration a few years ago.  Does anyone have a preferred suggestion for where to get parts (rings, gaskets, etc) for this fuji?

Kocherer

PolarisGuru54

• Modified
    • Love collecting and talking Polaris sleds!
      • Polaris Virtual Museum
    « Reply #36 on: February 03, 2012, 09:41:31 pm »
    This is WAY COOL...have an original Star Car of my own and is a real Polaris relic! Have fun with it! :)

Docjim

• Good luck racers! Play it safe.
    • Administrator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Fuji baby!!
      • DocJim's project Album
    « Reply #37 on: February 05, 2012, 02:37:00 am »
    Jim I looked all over and couldnt find a piston.  However,  I found a complete good running 372 Fuji engine that can be donated if your interested.
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.

Jkocherer

• Modified
    « Reply #38 on: February 06, 2012, 05:21:42 pm »
    Kids covered displacement today and proceeded to "wow" when they realized how big the combustion chamber is on this little go cart and what "372" actually means.  It's always fun to bring them into those light bulb moments.  DocJim, absolutely I would love to have a 372 donated--especially if it runs!  Write an email to me to get my phone number so we can discuss the details.

Things have ground to a standstill until I can secure a way to purchase a three hole/flywheel puller and replacement rings/gaskets.  Anyone suggest a good place to purchase the parts?

Thanks!

Kocherer

Docjim

• Administrator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Fuji baby!!
      • DocJim's project Album
    « Reply #39 on: February 06, 2012, 05:27:02 pm »
    Here are the gaskets on ebay.  Someone contacted me about rings and I lost the contact.    If anyone can help with new or good used rings please post here.    Also a flywheel puller should be no big deal.    Larry Goede at Gooselakeauto.com   should be able to help you out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Polaris-Fugi-Star-Gasket-372cc-single-1969-Colt-Mustang-Others-/190636467479?pt=Snowmobile_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c62d1a517

Docjim

• Administrator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Fuji baby!!
      • DocJim's project Album
    « Reply #40 on: February 06, 2012, 05:29:45 pm »
    Jim I have the donor 372 engine in the garage.   The guy that donated would like a picture of the students around the car land maybe a card with all of them signing it for the engine.   Sounds like a great deal to me  ;D

70txpmr

• SnoPro
    « Reply #41 on: February 08, 2012, 03:00:10 am »
    Jim I have the donor 372 engine in the garage.   The guy that donated would like a picture of the students around the car land maybe a card with all of them signing it for the engine.   Sounds like a great deal to me  ;D

I live in Monticello, MN and have customers I call on out in the Waconia area. If you need someone to get the engine the last leg of a trip, I can get it down there.

-Matthew

Jkocherer

• Modified
    « Reply #42 on: February 09, 2012, 05:38:17 pm »
    Students cleaned out the crankcase, put the flywheel back on, cleaning contact points as they worked their way out today, HUGE spark.  Put the engine back on, now they are looking for the rings, going to check the stickiness on the carbeurator throttle, and will be looking for the broken rings, a gas tank (missing), and some throttle cables to replace the rusted and stuck ones.

The spark really got them going today.

Jim

Jkocherer

• Modified
    « Reply #43 on: February 09, 2012, 05:40:21 pm »
    70tmxpr (Matthew).  No problem, I live up in Big Lake and drive that corridor through Monti daily. 

Let's coordinate.  write me an email at bandjim@izoom.net and we can exchange phone numbers.

Kocherer

Jkocherer

• Modified
    « Reply #44 on: February 09, 2012, 05:42:17 pm »
    Doc, just realized you stated that the engine is with you and not Matthew.  Where are you located?  Pics and card should be no problem.