Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Star Car build by High School Students  (Read 84119 times)

54DAVE

• SnoPro
  • "Don't bug me if it ain't about snowmobiles"
Re: Very special members need our help
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 12:19:18 am »
Welcome to the site.  This is awesome, please take pictures of everything the kids are doing and post them up.  We like pics!
One day riding with my son, "I asked him if everything was OK".  He said "My face hurts". I said "Why".  He said "From smiling so much when I ride".

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

Docjim

• Good luck racers! Play it safe.
    • Administrator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Fuji baby!!
      • DocJim's project Album
    « Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 12:26:41 am »
    Jim

Feel free also to ask if you need clutch pullers or flywheel pullers or any tools to help you out.   I am sure many here have what you need and will let you borrow it for the fix.   ALso,   post here if you need parts such and pistons, rings and such.   Someone will have what you guys need.

It would be great if you could get the kids in your class to join the site.    They may enjoy all the old sleds and the members here are very receptive to what we call  "The Young Guns".
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.

32plywood

• SnoPro
    « Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 02:58:36 am »
    If the bolt holes in the flywheel are bad you could possibly use or make a knock off tool to screw on the end of the crank shaft...this is what I use to remove the flywheels on my old cushman scooters...works better than a puller...Allan

allis 180

• SnoPro
    « Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 02:12:57 pm »
    32plywood, what do you mean by a knockoff tool?
    Reggie

Jkocherer

• Modified
    « Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 09:45:46 pm »
    The kids were impressed about having responses already...They came in asking for pullers, wondering if anything was stripped out, and asking for a digital camera.  Just took over the job a month ago and still assembling tool inventory and getting purchase orders ready.  The instructor before me had a rule about nothing larger than a weed whip or ice auger, so tools are limited.

They pulled the head off today and discovered a broken piston ring (pic).
    Recoil is good on the pull start.

No spark on the tester after they soaked the piston chamber with oil to loosen the piston--was why they were tearing into it to check for corrosion/rust on strike locations/armiture.

They got dirt into the crank case (I know I know Watch them!) which is why we are working toward a total tear apart trying to get inside to find the bolts and get the crank shaft out and cleaned.  Two days into poking around and they have at least five levels to fix if anyone can relate.   :D

Another thing they are working on is the corroded 1/4" at the end of each of the flywheel bolts--threads are worn and I need to find the die to rethread it. 

It is the lighting on the timing gear as it is not stripped but a little worn...the was all over with the kids through the 70s and adjusted the governor so that they flew to explain the wear and tear, which is why the recall in the first place I hear. 

there isn't too much about the car out there due to the short span of production.  I would love to know exactly what year this is. 

Send resources to Ag dept of Watertown Mayer HS MN if anyone can part with them.

I have pics but can't get anything to insert into the posting if there is a way to do it.  Hitting the insert button gets an [img] result but no pic.  CLick and drag from a desktop isn't working either.

One last thing is it would be neat to hear about anyone within 50 miles of Watertown/Waconia MN that is into this stuff for real-life connections...I hope to make it to the show on the 27th.  I live next door to Poirier Racing in Big Lake MN, but haven't approached him yet.

Docjim

• Administrator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Fuji baby!!
      • DocJim's project Album
    « Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 10:02:54 pm »
    Jim
    Thanks again for alowing us to help.   Everything you need you will find here.  Including the guys that originally built them.  Just ask and you will find tools, parts and the best tech help on the internet.   

A few members here work at Polaris and some helped build the Star car.   One of the original founders of Polaris is here also.   AJjohns or any one else,   it would be great if you could right a post with some history and interesting facts about the Star Car for the students to read.

I was lucky to drive one of these when I was about the age of your students.    They are fast and fun.   Like riding in an Indy car  ;D

Jim send me pictures of the project and I will post them for you.   You have my email address.   Thanks Docjim

32plywood

• SnoPro
    « Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 04:47:02 am »
    The knockoff tool I have for my cushman is made out of a big piece of hex shaft ----hole bored in the end ---theads cut in it to match crankshaft ----the hole in mine is about 3/4 deep ---screw this on to the end of the crank --hit it with a big hammer the the weight of the flyweel and the pop on the end of the hex and the flywheel should pop off.  The big thing that I can see is the tool needs to be tight and bottomed out on the crank to keep from damaging the threads of the crank...I may be able to post a pic.    remember this tool will need to be built for this motor---Allan

m_buzzo

• SnoPro
    • Battle Creek and/or Felch, MI
    « Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 04:56:44 am »
    Here's a link to how to post pictures on this site. You have to upload them to photobucket or a similar site, then cut and paste their link onto your post on this website. Its not too bad, just takes a little while to figure it out. If I can do it, anybody can! I downloaded an app on my phone so any picture I take is automatically uploaded, so now all I have to do is go there and find the pic, click to copy the img link, then paste it onto the vintage sleds post.
    https://vintagesleds.com/bs/index.php/board,11.0.html
    People for the Ethical Treatment of Tillotsons Member #63
    1968 Ski Doo Super Olympic Rotax 299
    1969 Rupp GTE300 Sachs 298
    1970 Ski Doo Olympic Rotax 335
    1971 Arctic Cat Panther Kawasaki 399
    1972 Sno Jet Star Jet Hirth 292
    1973 Evinrude Quiet Flight
    1979 Scorpion Whip Cuyuna 440

m_buzzo

• SnoPro
    « Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 07:42:47 pm »
    Is this what you are working on? I had never heard of these before. Pretty neat. Do be careful, though. He said they will do 100 mph! That's too fast for young folks. Heck, I almost killed myself on a 68 Doo, and it only went 30 mph, LOL!!! Good luck with the project.

Small | Large

dirtman

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • nort west mini-sota ya betcha
    « Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 07:56:32 pm »
    buzzo thanks for posting that!   ;)   there ya have it! a brief history of the StarCar from the man himself....   Mr. David Johnson!   8)

dirtman
    a bunch of Polaris's   PETT # 85

m_buzzo

• SnoPro
    « Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 08:05:17 pm »
    Here's a thread where they discuss it a little more, and a pic of them being built, apparently. You better dig into the history some more before you do too much with it. If there really are only 10 left in the world, you better get it appraised and don't repaint it your school colors or anything, in case that might cut thousands off the value. LOL!!! Sounds like you've got a sweet piece of history there!

https://vintagesleds.com/bs/index.php/topic,52961.0.html

m_buzzo

• SnoPro
    « Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 08:26:14 pm »
    We need some pics of your machine! You got us old guys drooling down the front of our shirrts! Hahaha! Found this pic, is it what you have there? Holy cow, I guess I see now why they were recalled. I guess the safety features just weren't developed enough in those days to match the speed they achieved. Send some pics to Doc, or do it yourself if you can get it figured out. Thanks!!!!!!!!! (DROOL)!!!!!!

Forrest

• SnoPro
    « Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 09:42:23 pm »
    Jim,
    I love to see this! I am just finishing up my degree in technology education/industrial arts out here in Central New York. It is really great to see students having an interest in getting their hands dirty and learning a potential trade. If there is anything that I can do to help, please let me know. Best of luck and I will be keeping a close eye on this. Forrest
    1974 Massey Ferguson Ski-Whiz 304

m_buzzo

• SnoPro
    « Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 12:47:36 am »
    Well... were you able to get the flywheel off yet? Inquiring minds want to know! So does your class meet daily, or just a couple times a week? Just so we know what to expect! You're probably going nuts trying to figure out the picture posting thing! LOL! The thing that screwed me up was the button and the inserting between the IMG bracket things. If you copy and paste from another site like photobucket, you don't have to do that. Just copy and paste the link as is. Don't make it harder than it has to be! Anxiously awaiting more news on the project! Thanks!

Docjim

• Administrator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Fuji baby!!
      • DocJim's project Album
    « Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 10:05:24 pm »