Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Vintage Sled Repair Videos  (Read 47174 times)

399jlo

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
Re: Vintage Sled Repair Videos
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 01:14:14 am »
Good sticky here  ))((
How many of you guys and gals actually wear those gloves when
working on sleds??  I just don't like the feel of them

You get used to em'  I work in the back of an ambulance and still hated the feel of them, but I got sick and tired of my hands looking like filth no mater how much you scrubbed with hand cleaners and scrub brushes. Got embarrassing, and I'd find myself hiding my hands from people.  You know you get all that dirt and filth in the dry skin cracks and it never comes out till it wears away.

Now I just wear the gloves and suck it up.  Sure the glove finger tips get caught in ring grooves and under bolt heads, but it keeps my hands a lot more presentable.
Guess I'm old school dirty hands are just part of the hobby.  The next generation is here  (Z)
dirty beat tore up hands and grease under your nails should be worn proudly
Young gal at work saw mine and said" your wife must hate your hands" my reply-That is why she married me". Shows a man ain't afraid to get iit done- but the solvents and chemicals make you wonder what is going to happen 10 years from now.
PETT member #60

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

Whitetiger

• SnoPro
    • Calgary, Alberta
    « Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 05:50:05 am »
    I'm a mechanic and I use gloves every day. Not cause im worried about the dirty hands (the right hand cleaner gets 'em clean anyways) but because used engine oil has caused cancer in labratory rats. There was a time when guys washed their hands in gasoline or varsol to get clean. I haven't seen anyone do that in ages! We are just learning more about the effects nowadays. ))((
    1992 Polaris RXL

mwohlenhaus

• SnoPro
    « Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 01:42:22 am »
    I deal with dead bodies, I got used to wearing them and went to Napa and bought the $18 black gloves that are a little thicker than the rest they offer and are well worth it. They are not as thick as some embalming gloves but they are thick enough to re-use. BTW we never re-use gloves at the funeral home.

Also, thank you so very much for uploading these great videos. I am just learning the restoration process and am dangerous so these are just what I need.

get alot of complaints from your clients about re-using gloves? :)  I deal with people to hopefully prevent them from being a client of yours and I always wear gloves when bodily fluids are involved

Yamikid

• SnoPro
    « Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 02:10:19 am »
    NIce,Nice Very NICE job on putting out some very helpful videos.  Hope that there is more to come maybe some clutch maintenance, proper lube, and annual cleanup of them. I have done several machines the past couple weeks and they don't show any signs of care AT ALL 
    The closer to death you are; the more alive you become!!

Agent_Oragnge

• SnoPro
    • 80 TXL INDY
    « Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 12:26:51 pm »
    Copper wire on the cracked winshield. that thing looks like the Bride of Frankenstein all stitched up. guess it works though.
    Some guys think that if they have a cool sled they are better than other guys,...and those guys are right!

DJS800

• SnoPro
    « Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 01:44:25 pm »
    Copper wire on the cracked winshield. that thing looks like the Bride of Frankenstein all stitched up. guess it works though.
    I use cable zip ties, have for 20 plus years, works great and easy to do on the trail..

PolCat

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Old ain't so Bad De Pere, Wi PETT #27
    « Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 12:00:22 am »
    You bring a drill on the trail  :o 
    I always drill a small hole at the end of the crack, keeps it from running any further.
    Cheap is the way to go, the less you have in them, the more you can have! 

VS BS Members Map

omcMe

• SnoPro
    « Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 10:55:32 pm »
    I have one that was stitched with fishing line. We actually call the sled Frankenstein.

Brianwood

• Modified
    « Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 11:21:35 pm »
    Very good videos!!! Thanks for the time and effort.

cheetah444

• SnoPro
    « Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 02:17:44 am »
    Good sticky here  ))((
    How many of you guys and gals actually wear those gloves when
    working on sleds??  I just don't like the feel of them

You get used to em'  I work in the back of an ambulance and still hated the feel of them, but I got sick and tired of my hands looking like filth no mater how much you scrubbed with hand cleaners and scrub brushes. Got embarrassing, and I'd find myself hiding my hands from people.  You know you get all that dirt and filth in the dry skin cracks and it never comes out till it wears away.

Now I just wear the gloves and suck it up.  Sure the glove finger tips get caught in ring grooves and under bolt heads, but it keeps my hands a lot more presentable.
    Guess I'm old school dirty hands are just part of the hobby.  The next generation is here  (Z)
    Same here i only wear gloves when its cold if its warm i never wear gloves i cant ever seem to hold small nuts and bolts i always drop em
    1973 Arctic Cat Cheetah 340

txcharger300

• SnoPro
    « Reply #25 on: June 24, 2014, 04:24:33 am »
    A video on track replacement would be awesome!  Thanks VS!

71lynx303

• Stock Racer
    « Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 12:40:04 am »
    Can you make a video of how to change the secondary clutch? I may have to do this and have no clue how.

PolCat

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Old ain't so Bad De Pere, Wi PETT #27
    « Reply #27 on: September 18, 2014, 12:46:56 am »
    It would be hard to make these 2 videos as not all tracks or secondarys come out or go in the same way.
    Cheap is the way to go, the less you have in them, the more you can have! 

VS BS Members Map

whereswade

• Super-Mod
    « Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 01:55:33 pm »
    Thanks so much for this post, and for making it sticky! I've done the recoil(have to do it again, tho, must have done something incorrectly!!)
    1983 Yamaha SRV
    1986 Yamaha XLV
    1992 Arctic Cat Lynx (parts)
    1992 Arctic Cat Prowler
    1994 Yamaha VMax 600
    19?? Polaris ?? Chassis (parts)

Just getting the hang of this vintage thing…but it's certainly got the hang of me!

TLarocca

• Powder-Puff
    « Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 11:39:37 pm »
    Can you show me where the oil line attaches to the motor on a 1978 Yamaha Enticer 250?