Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First Generation AC Turbo Sleds?  (Read 322 times)

SirSpamalot

• SnoPro
First Generation AC Turbo Sleds?
« on: November 18, 2021, 03:17:46 pm »
OK I may be bending the rules a bit but these are getting close to 20 years old now. 2003/4 was 17 years ago! I know, its hard to believe. What I want is solid informed opinions and experiences with the T660 single seaters and Two-ups. These are popping up used and some are cream puffs. So, if I may, I would like the good, bad, and ugly. Thank you sirs.
I have one very special sled.
I no longer claim to be omniscient because the rules are more like guidelines.
Thank God I have more than one hobby.

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

stilldoonit

• Super-Mod
    Re: First Generation AC Turbo Sleds?
    « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 05:30:23 pm »
    I rode a friends new TURBO back in the days on the trails out in West Yellowstone. Seemingly great power but squirrelly, worst sled I ever drove on the trail.  You have to really pay attention as you were going all over the place spinning the track, on and off the power. Worthless track.  I think they may have upgraded the track the following year?  The ride was pretty good though.  We took it a year or two later to have as a spare sled in case of someone breaking down and no one wanted to even ride it. They were more willing to pay for a rental than ride the T-660 TURBO for free.

I thought they looked nice and the ride was good but you were just all over the place.

SirSpamalot

• SnoPro
    « Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 02:14:36 pm »
    Thanks. So does the two up version cure this issue with the longer track?
    I have one very special sled.
    I no longer claim to be omniscient because the rules are more like guidelines.
    Thank God I have more than one hobby.

thefoolsbro

• SnoPro
    • Hale, MI
      • Hale Area Trailblazers
    « Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 11:41:38 pm »
    I had an '04 I bought new, put about 14k miles on it. never felt squirrelly to me. a little heavy in the front caused it to push a bit in the corners,
    of course I was most likely overstudded. one thing to get used to is the engine braking especially with this sled. always around 20 mpg. ride
    was decent for that year sled. I sold it to a friend 6 years ago and he is still riding it. Problems; typical cat needs the left drive axle bearing
    replaced about every 3k miles., kill switch wire down on the steering post rubbed through shorting out causing intermittent almost stall situation
    initially thought to be tps issue. water pump started to leak one summer, not to bad to change. keep oil changed, keep charged air cooler clamps
    tight, ck valve clearance every 5-7k, mine has never needed a valve adjustment. Power; kinda slow out of the hole, once it's making good boost
    it's surprising. friends had '05 rev 800's from a 30mph roll I would be out front until they came by about 80mph, 110 hp simply won't run with
    much on top end, which normally was about 91-92 which seemed close to gps, had it to 99 on glare ice going downhill once. a good set of duallys
    and proper ski alignment is a must though. which I'm assuming the one stilldoonit was riding was not set up right.
    1970 moto-ski 375 (372 jlo) most original vintage winner 1st  Hale show
    1971 chap firebird with an executive hood
    1974 El Tigre 340
    1974 polaris colt 175

1974 chap. ssx 340

Skier76

• SnoPro
    • CT and Southern Vermont
    « Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 12:29:34 pm »
    There’s a guy over on ArcticChat who knows them really well.  I believe he has 660 in his username.  He’s really good with mechanical issues that come up with these machines. 

Wild to think the early 4 stroke sleds are now 20 years old.   :o
    1996 Puma 2-up
    1996 Jag

Earl

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 01:40:31 pm »
    yea: my go to sled is 20 yrs old and my backup is 19.   
    2001 Panther 2 up         2002 Z 570

Skier76

• SnoPro
    • CT and Southern Vermont
    « Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 01:39:45 pm »
    Where does the time go!
    1996 Puma 2-up
    1996 Jag