Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Polaris / Zero hybrid sleds.  (Read 2802 times)

chris r

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
Polaris / Zero hybrid sleds.
« on: October 15, 2021, 12:52:28 pm »
Times are indeed changing. I'd rather not change, but the future will interesting either way.

https://snowgoer.com/latest-news/polaris-plus-zero-motorcycles-equals-electric-snowmobiles/28892/
You can a have different opinion but you can't have a different truth.

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

snowracer

• SnoPro
    Re: Polaris / Zero hybrid sleds.
    « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 09:49:05 pm »
    I suppose next, you are going to tell me to change my underwear. ???

Ski of Plenty

• SnoPro
    • Caution: Has an opinion you may not like!
    « Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 06:18:06 am »
    Our club just had our annual hayride/chili dump on Saturday. It's always a fun day but this time it felt different. Several of us were talking about what we feel is going to happen over the next few years. Everyone agrees the industry is pricing itself out of business. These new electric sleds will be no exception. Pretty much an expensive novelty. Fewer people can afford new sleds these days. Most young people spend their money on tattoos and smart phones...they have little interest in getting cold on a snowmobile. Lack of snow, short seasons, limited use and the explosion of UTV sales has just about sealed the fate of trail riding as we have known it...it's circling the drain now. If the economy/politics continues on it's current trajectory, a lot of people are going to be lucky to keep up with their everyday living expenses...much less having money for motorized recreation of any kind.
    Here in Wisconsin the consistent snow line continues to move north. Pretty much have to make the Tomahawk area to get decent snow. A lot of us feel the trail system will mostly collapse south of that, with the exception of a couple corridor trails that will connect to the north woods...if there's enough snow. Most people will have to trailer to find anywhere legal to ride. A return to more normal winters could make a big difference...but that's not likely to happen. Despite what some would have you believe, raising taxes won't make the weather change either. 
    There will always be some kind of snowmobiling for the very well off. For the rest of us...smoke 'em while you got 'em...the end may be near. 
    « Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 06:47:12 am by Ski of Plenty »
    If you're angry, frustrated or crazy and feel you have to kill someone...start with yourself!

2012 Polaris IQ LXT 550
    1994 Polaris Trail Deluxe
    1993 Polaris XCR 440
    1977 Scorpion Sting 440
    1975 Scorpion Whip 340
    1975 Rupp Nitro F/A 440

chris r

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 12:30:46 pm »
    I suppose next, you are going to tell me to change my underwear. ???

Not telling you to do anything.  ;)
    « Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 01:42:26 pm by chris r »

chris r

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 01:46:04 pm »
    Our club just had our annual hayride/chili dump on Saturday. It's always a fun day but this time it felt different. Several of us were talking about what we feel is going to happen over the next few years. Everyone agrees the industry is pricing itself out of business. These new electric sleds will be no exception. Pretty much an expensive novelty. Fewer people can afford new sleds these days. Most young people spend their money on tattoos and smart phones...they have little interest in getting cold on a snowmobile. Lack of snow, short seasons, limited use and the explosion of UTV sales has just about sealed the fate of trail riding as we have known it...it's circling the drain now. If the economy/politics continues on it's current trajectory, a lot of people are going to be lucky to keep up with their everyday living expenses...much less having money for motorized recreation of any kind.

I for sure agree about the prices of stuff. My first thoughts are that the cost to manufacture electric/gas powered vehicles should be less. Based on what I know about vehicle production throughout my career.

On the young people, the same thought has been discussed here for years, yet there are young people who are into sleds, bikes, and cars. Sure some are not, no different than being not into anything but laying on their aszes, but sled sales have been good the last couple years and vintage/antique sled values have risen from what I see, at least advertised prices.

Ski of Plenty

• SnoPro
    • Caution: Has an opinion you may not like!
    « Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 02:11:40 pm »
    I read the article you referenced in a different thread. The electric sleds will have a place in rental tours in low emission areas like national parks...etc. I also agree that they should be less expensive...but we all know how that goes.

I really want snowmobiling to survive. Unfortunately there are a number of factors beyond our control that dictate what's going to happen (like the weather) I base my comments regarding the young people on how many will actually find a little time to come and help with the trails. I've watched the young riders and if a tree branch falls on the trail they'll drive around it or just run it over rather than stop and take 15 seconds to throw it off the trail. I'm about a month off major back surgery and walking is recommended by my doctor. Took my first long walk last Sunday after the Packer game...Me and my dog checked out a section of trail that I hope to be signing very soon. Yep, I'll be with it to the bitter end.   
    If you're angry, frustrated or crazy and feel you have to kill someone...start with yourself!

2012 Polaris IQ LXT 550
    1994 Polaris Trail Deluxe
    1993 Polaris XCR 440
    1977 Scorpion Sting 440
    1975 Scorpion Whip 340
    1975 Rupp Nitro F/A 440

70txpmr

• SnoPro
    « Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 09:30:33 pm »
    I originally got into the vintage sled side of things in 2007 because I couldn't justify paying what new sleds were going for.

Plus it was a walk down memory lane grabbing some of the sleds my family had when I was a kid.

My last brand new sled was a 1995 Polaris Indy 440. Sold it after a couple brown winters around 2000. Have the same sled again, only used and cheaper  8)

SirSpamalot

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 02:12:27 pm »
    Interesting. Here's a couple things on my mind:

1. A real reporter for a car magazine, not a network mouth breather,  finally cornered a big shot at Ford and asked him the question that I wished someone would ask all the EV makers: " What do you see as the big problem with EV vehicles? Without hesitation he said " Too expensive. We have to get the cost down to 30,000 dollars base price with decent content to really get the conversion going. 100 grand for a flashy EV pickup is nice for that market, but the average Joe will not buy it yet."  For me it was like "FINALLY! Somebody gets it."

2. Chasing EV sleds is great for perhaps a third of the market. Why they are not going hybrid with a lean burn 4 stroke gas back up for the true back woods riders I will never know. They already know (Yama-Cat) how to build a lighter 4 stroke. I can imagine a 500cc twin, plus a turbo, 4 stroke with EV that would give the best of both worlds. At least if the battery pack strokes out you can get home? Yea it will not be a rocket ship, but they have been building Prius for what, 20 years now? Shrink the tech, get the price at 10 grand. Hmmm? Might work.

3. I went vintage about 25 years ago out of necessity. I had three little kids who got tired of hiking through three feet of snow on Grandpa's farm to go downhill sledding. I had stopped riding by 1987, when sleds got to 4 grand a piece for the big ones. Fast forward ten years and I came across an add for two minty barn fresh Wankel 1972 Panthers in the shopper. I only wanted one. So I jumped a now defunct sled site and asked for someone to buy the other one. The Deal was done. My kids all grew up on that sled, it's still running and I sold it about 2011 to another collector who's kids love it as much as mine did. 45mph was fast enough, it went through deep stuff like a dozer and towed hand sleds and cutters for several seasons just fine. Growing up a dealers kid from that era I knew how to keep it alive for cheap. The best thing was it connected me with a fellowship of alike individuals who had a passion for this hobby.  ;D Today that fellowship has dimmed, but it's still out there. The Gee Whiz gang may have left, but the die hards are still here, and I like that crowd better. 8) We will never be a concern for the new sled makers, we don't make them much money.  As long as the greenies don't punt us all to a museum or a motorsports park or just ban us entirely, I hope we'll be OK.
    « Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 02:18:53 pm by SirSpamalot »
    I have one very special sled.
    I no longer claim to be omniscient because the rules are more like guidelines.
    Thank God I have more than one hobby.

69CAMARO

• SnoPro
    « Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 03:20:25 am »
    Very interesting read Chris. I can't say I'm looking forward to riding a EV snowmobile either. It looks like Polaris is forward thinking indeed. I actually saw a Polaris EV Ranger on the trail this year. When you have 500 plus noisy 4 wheelers go past your home on a Saturday I have to say I liked it. I'm positive that I won't go out and buy one any time soon but it was neat. For now I'll keep riding my Sportsman 570 and Indy 600. Times are changing.
    I've got to get my sleds fixed. They seem to be multiplying.

canam2005

• SnoPro
    « Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 09:19:11 am »
    Times are indeed changing. I'd rather not change, but the future will interesting either way.

https://snowgoer.com/latest-news/polaris-plus-zero-motorcycles-equals-electric-snowmobiles/28892/

just an observation on how quickly things are changing, dewalt came out with a different battery tech for their tools above the current flexvolt series. I know this is not an apples to apples comparison to powersports, but this new tech is getting to the market fairly quick. " BREAKING! DeWALT's IMPOSSIBLE new battery tech will change every tool they make. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N326c8Tv3wQ

chris r

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 08:00:23 pm »

just an observation on how quickly things are changing, dewalt came out with a different battery tech for their tools above the current flexvolt series. I know this is not an apples to apples comparison to powersports, but this new tech is getting to the market fairly quick. " BREAKING! DeWALT's IMPOSSIBLE new battery tech will change every tool they make. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N326c8Tv3wQ

There are a lot of electric vehicles out there now and more coming into the market very quickly. Time waits for no one.

duallydave

• SnoPro
    « Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 08:30:48 pm »
    And beyond DeWalt, there is a lot of interest in solid state batteries.

ski-doood

• SnoPro
    « Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 05:43:26 am »
    Sorry to go off-topic some more here but we lost a lot of trees at our cabin in two recent storms and one of our regulars shows up with three brand new Milwaukee battery powered chain saws and I thought you have to be kidding me.  Well, I was shocked on how well all three worked.  I never thought I would think this but I could own one of those and maybe not miss my Stihl all that much.

THEY SOUND FUNNY THOUGH.

beverlynsteve

• Global Moderator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Western CT
    « Reply #13 on: October 20, 2021, 07:18:34 pm »
    Stihl makes an electric chainsaw now also.

chris r

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #14 on: October 21, 2021, 12:34:44 pm »
    Sorry to go off-topic some more here but we lost a lot of trees at our cabin in two recent storms and one of our regulars shows up with three brand new Milwaukee battery powered chain saws and I thought you have to be kidding me.  Well, I was shocked on how well all three worked.  I never thought I would think this but I could own one of those and maybe not miss my Stihl all that much.

THEY SOUND FUNNY THOUGH.

I have two friends who've bought Milwaukee cordless chainsaws and they love them. I could use one too.