Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1978 RXL/ 340 Super Stock ID  (Read 1494 times)

TXC276

• SnoPro
1978 RXL/ 340 Super Stock ID
« on: October 12, 2021, 09:44:32 pm »
How can you distinguish the difference between a 1978 RXL 340 and 340 Super Stock?
There may be some cool history on this particular machine.  I have contacted Polaris Engineering to see if they can help ID the vin. number 0414003
Any help from you guys would be great.
I will add more information as it becomes available.
Thanks.

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

emrickmn

• SnoPro
    • Vintage Snowmobile Restoration. com
      • Vintage Snowmobile Restoration
    Re: 1978 RXL/ 340 Super Stock ID
    « Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 01:40:46 am »
    The two types in 78 were super stock and super mod
    There are a few “clues” to differentiate the two.
    Super stock had smaller diameter pipes than super mod
    Super stock had the mono block, super mod had the individual jugs. -03 vs -04
    The water pump pulleys were cogged ( timing gear) on the s/m while the s/s used a TXL style

Again, these are clues. My 79 is a s/m but has a T1 monoblock
    79 RXL +++++++++
    79 Centurion +++++++
    78 RXL +++
    78 TX +
    78 TXL
    78 Doo S/S
    77 TXL           
    76 SnoPro 340 +
    ------------------------------

TXC276

• SnoPro
    « Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 04:56:38 pm »
    Thanks, I will get photos of the engine too.

73 RATX

• SnoPro
    « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 06:58:54 pm »
    I thought all of the RXLs were built with the monoblock motor.  The individual cylinders were part of the RXL mod kit.  The mod kit also contained different pipes, water pump, belt, pulleys and a bunch of other stuff.  I was always under the impression that if your machine had the other stuff the mod kit had been installed.  I thought the mod kit was a 79 upgrade.  Are you saying that some of the 78 machines were built at the factory with the mod kit stuff?  Also was the mod kit available during the 1978 season so that there was two versions of 78 machines during the 78 season?

Roseaufan

• SnoPro
    • Be more.
    « Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 08:33:49 pm »
    That serial number is in my database, so I have seen that one before. I have i listed as a 340 SS from a Mike Vasser (is that you?)

So in 1978 there were not separate SuperStock and Super Mod models. There was The Superstock and then the factory race sleds, which are very close to the SS's.

In 1977, ALL the 340s started out with the individual cylinder motor, half way through the season they migrated to the monobloc because it has more torque coming out of the corner.

In 1978, all the 340s were monoblock. The factory had the larger pipes AJ speaks of, and as the year went on, they gave those pipes to a some of the independents (TJ Patrick, Team Frustration, etc) The 1979 upgrade kit came with the larger pipes.

Your handlebars, front suspension, and everything else indicates this started and finished life as a Super stock. It is in GREAT shape.
    Creator of: Quality Garage Time® (QGT) | Go Fast, Turn Left, Look Cool® | Vintage SnoPro Series® | Sky Blue Express® | The Z-Bar Militia® | The Patron Saint of Vintage Snowmobiling® | The Bull Sessions™ |

Roseaufan

• SnoPro
    • Be more.
    « Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 08:38:16 pm »
    The paint and the holes in the chain case are interesting. Probably painted black in an earlier restoration, I would bet it is magnesium.

Possible factory 250??? Should check the serial number at Eagle River.

Mag Chaincases, I think, were in short supply. The factory drivers got them first, then they put some on the superstock machines until they either A: Ran out of them and put aluminum ones in instead, or B: The Superstocks were already under the legal weight, so they probably went to aluminum to save money.
    Creator of: Quality Garage Time® (QGT) | Go Fast, Turn Left, Look Cool® | Vintage SnoPro Series® | Sky Blue Express® | The Z-Bar Militia® | The Patron Saint of Vintage Snowmobiling® | The Bull Sessions™ |

TXC276

• SnoPro
    « Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 01:05:24 am »
    RoseauFan,
    I knew you could supply some great information, thanks for your insight and knowledge.
    Yes, This is Mike Vasser's machine.  What I am trying to determine is if this is the RXL that Polaris Midnight Blue Express race team brought to Alaska for the Shakedown Race in November/December (not sure of the exact date) 1977.  If this is said machine, it was sold after the race weekend to #5 Polaris racer Larry Heal of Palmer, AK.  He raced and won the 340 class that weekend and went on to race with it for about 2 - 3 years before selling it.  His son in law, John Faeo raced same 340 sled that weekend in 440 class and took 2nd place. John looked at the machine yesterday and verified the holes drilled in the right side tub,  where they had to add 14 of weight to get machine within class legal weight limit (250 lbs)?  I have sent the vin. number to Polaris Engineering with hopes that they have record of the sale of this machine when it was brought to Alaska.  Very cool stuff. 

Vics stuff

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Go Big Or Go Home
    « Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 04:00:12 am »
     The Alaska  shake down race at Brandts Lodge took place the last week end of October and first weekend of November.  That was typically the first motor mushers  oval race of the season along with the first XC race . This gave the factory race  teams time on the ice before heading back to the states for the up coming race season. Yes there were some exotic sleds that were there testing as well. I just wished I had carried a camera back then. Would have some cool pics to share today. Now it is all distant memory.
     Vic
    « Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 12:19:19 am by Vics stuff »

Roseaufan

• SnoPro
    • Be more.
    « Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 02:28:36 pm »
    RoseauFan,
    I knew you could supply some great information, thanks for your insight and knowledge.
    Yes, This is Mike Vasser's machine.  What I am trying to determine is if this is the RXL that Polaris Midnight Blue Express race team brought to Alaska for the Shakedown Race in November/December (not sure of the exact date) 1977.  If this is said machine, it was sold after the race weekend to #5 Polaris racer Larry Heal of Palmer, AK.  He raced and won the 340 class that weekend and went on to race with it for about 2 - 3 years before selling it.  His son in law, John Faeo raced same 340 sled that weekend in 440 class and took 2nd place. John looked at the machine yesterday and verified the holes drilled in the right side tub,  where they had to add 14 of weight to get machine within class legal weight limit (250 lbs)?  I have sent the vin. number to Polaris Engineering with hopes that they have record of the sale of this machine when it was brought to Alaska.  Very cool stuff.

Mike Smith from Wasilla has photos of two of the sleds - One was setup for Jerry Bunke, the other for Brad Hulings. The pictures were taken in Mikes shop around 1979. I don't think this is one of those, as those had particular handlebars and footloops I don't see on this one.

They also brought I think, 3 Superstock machines and it was a test to see how a rider who had never driven and IFS would do. I think Faeo was the first, and he held his own after only a lap. Those three machines were sold and left their, so there should be at least 5 RXLS that were up there at one time.

WrenchDeere

• SnoPro
    « Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 03:15:34 pm »
     8)
    Snow may be temporary but wrenching is forever

Vics stuff

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Go Big Or Go Home
    « Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 12:25:27 am »
     In the fall of 77 at Brandts Lodge , I do remember seeing a slue of those plus a couple of leafers for comparison purposes there for that week of testing. I still visualize Larry Heal and John Faeo taking turns on their sled.
     Vic

Roseaufan

• SnoPro
    • Be more.
    « Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 04:34:25 pm »
    In the fall of 77 at Brandts Lodge , I do remember seeing a slue of those plus a couple of leafers for comparison purposes there for that week of testing. I still visualize Larry Heal and John Faeo taking turns on their sled.
     Vic

You were there at a historic moment: First non-factory guys to try an IFS! Very cool!

duallydave

• SnoPro
    « Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 05:04:55 pm »
    You were there at a historic moment: First non-factory guys to try an IFS!
    Wouldn't that have been a Chap in 72?

Vics stuff

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Go Big Or Go Home
    « Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 06:00:42 pm »
     Vic

You were there at a historic moment: First non-factory guys to try an IFS! Very cool!

Yes it was at the time , but did not realize the historical value.
     Cat , Ski Doo, Scorpion  and Yamaha  teams also were there testing .
     It was real exciting for me beings that I was still on a 77Z .
     Vic

Roseaufan

• SnoPro
    • Be more.
    « Reply #14 on: October 15, 2021, 07:35:56 pm »
    You were there at a historic moment: First non-factory guys to try an IFS!
    Wouldn't that have been a Chap in 72?

Don't think any independents got to run those did they??