Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Organization?  (Read 794 times)

69MarkIII

• SnoPro
Organization?
« on: October 04, 2021, 10:34:21 pm »
In a recent PM to JLOpower regarding some Massey decals, the topic of effectively hiding things from yourself came up. I've always considered myself a very organized person, even if it was in my own autistic way that only I understand. Typically I knew if I had something, where it was, and how many. Definitely getting significantly less so with age! One of my most recent Easter egg hunts was for fasteners. I knew I had bought some stainless nuts and bolts to finish off a project. Put them in the basement on my bench. Didn't bother labeling them because...why? I know what they're to right? Fast forward a few weeks and I'm in a 'cleaning mood'. I decide to get all this crap off my bench and organize my restored parts bench according to which disassembled sled they go to. At the end of which I'm left with a pile of mystery parts. Hmmm...better not throw 'em away, they're to SOMETHING. Better just toss 'em in this box that I most definitely won't misplace and completely forget about!

This 'method' of organization has left me with a sizeable inventory of parts and pieces to things I haven't owned in a long time. Hmm...headlight rings for the '78 Pontiac Lemans I sold in 2007. Oh cool! Brake parts for a pair of Alouettes I sold last year! I feel like, at several points throughout the snowbelt, people I've sold unfinished projects to are looking for these pieces due to my incompetence. If only I could recall who bought what and when so I could send them to their proper owners.

Now here I am, buying all new stuff at an additional expense because I have no idea where I put those 1/4"x 2" long button head stainless bolts for my Boa-Ski front bumper. It's OK though, I'm sure the originals will turn up about 6 months after I sell the sled...
1958 Beeline Sapphire 16' speed boat.
1968 Scorpion Mark III.
1969 Scorpion Mark II 300.
1969 Scorpion Mark IV 400.
1969 Skiroule S-370.
1971 Ariens 300 S.

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

Earl

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    Re: Organization?
    « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 12:50:42 am »
    its called    old age       I'm there already.
    2001 Panther 2 up         2002 Z 570

Sledded

• SnoPro
    « Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 02:04:51 am »
    Ditto on everything you said. I have saved so much stuff over the years because I figure I could use it some day. Then when I do need it I'm unfortunate enough to remember I have it somewhere but can't find it, so I need to go buy it. I would rather not remember that I have it somewhere and save the frustration of spending time looking for it to no avail and simply go buy it. But then of course, when in the process of looking for something else I eventually find it. And I may not even remember why I needed to find it or whether I completed the project, whatever it was.
    I Ain't Never Had Too Much Fun. Commander Cody

chris r

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 11:20:16 am »
    Same here. I think it's a problem for be because I don't finish a project before I start on another. If something stops progress on something, it's too easy to start on something else and then time takes over.

Another thing for me is that when I started on my truck project, I bought a lot of stuff I knew (Yah, I knew  ::)) there were things I'd have to have, but then I've changed direction a few times and now a lot of brand new stuff................ I don't need. Things like a headliner, door panels, 4 different seats.
    Find good people, treat them right, pay them well, and get outta the way.

Lanceman9

• SnoPro
    • Move Over, People Are Racing!
    « Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 01:08:08 pm »
    My girlfriend comes over and "helps" clean my kitchen. Then I can't find the paper napkins that were sitting on the counter. :o
    When she goes up north I will put them back where I had them.
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

Brettm57

• SnoPro
    • You can't have too many toys....
    « Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 01:43:34 pm »
    A few weeks ago I organized all of my kart parts in a large binned cabinet; separating gaskets, carburetors, clutches, pistons, etc.  Before this I had some parts in the basement, some parts in the garage, some parts in the trailer, etc.  They were scattered everywhere.  Now that I have them all in one spot, I'm pretty sure I won't have to buy any more karts parts for a long, long time! 

While sorting out that mess, I discovered that I also have enough parts to build another 250cc single Lynx/5000 El-Tigre combo.  I had no idea!
    1971 634 Puma, 1972 340/440 Puma, 1977 Pantera, 1983 EL-JAGRE, 1980 Jag w/295 Wankel power, 2003 Z 570, 1967 Rupp A-Bone/MC90, 1984 MXK Mirage/Briggs Flathead-alky fueled

Just Wondering

• SnoPro
    « Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 02:16:04 pm »
    My girlfriend comes over and "helps" clean my kitchen. Then I can't find the paper napkins that were sitting on the counter. :o
    When she goes up north I will put them back where I had them.

For Gods sake man,,,,,keep her out of your vintage sled stuff!!    ;D
    '71 Skiroule 440 RTX racer
    '72 Kitty Cat
    '72 Speedway 440
    '72 Kohler SnoPro  1st. Gen.
    '74 Mini Twister (Jr.Brute)
    '74 SnoTwister
    '80 Polaris TXL

JLOpower

• Official Curmudgeon
    • Global Moderator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Fresh Snow makes me Whiz
      • Ski Whiz Rescue Mission
    « Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 02:54:00 pm »
    My problem is I cleared out a very large part of my so called collection, only keeping what I thought would be needed for one Ski Whiz restoration. The rest left in 3 truck and trailer loads at least 7 years ago. So 90% of what I used to have isn't here anymore.
    Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.

― George Bernard Shaw

JLOpower

• Official Curmudgeon
    • Global Moderator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Fresh Snow makes me Whiz
      • Ski Whiz Rescue Mission
    « Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 02:58:03 pm »
    And I still have too much sled stuff that needs to go.
    Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.

― George Bernard Shaw

76z

• SnoPro
    « Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 05:24:09 pm »
    Whenever I sell something whatever parts I have left which will fit on what I sell goes with the unit. Most are surprised what they get and appreciate it. But I am not one to sell small parts and won,t take the time and effort.

Sledded

• SnoPro
    « Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 06:55:41 pm »
    I do the same thing. When I sold my 55 pickup the box was full of parts for the guy. Wide rear windows, transmissions, side glass. Same with snowmobiles I think I'll never have of that model again.

2muchfun

• SnoPro
    « Reply #11 on: October 09, 2021, 10:12:12 am »
    its called    old age       I'm there already.
    I call it  Sometimers   sometimes I remember   sometimes I don't

Sledded

• SnoPro
    « Reply #12 on: October 09, 2021, 05:38:12 pm »
    The here after. What did I come here after?

beverlynsteve

• Global Moderator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Western CT
    « Reply #13 on: October 20, 2021, 07:52:25 pm »
    I was talking to a friend the other day and he said "my oldtimers is getting bad enough I can conduct an easter egg hunt for myself all within an hour"
    It seems funny until it progresses too far.