Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Polaris Sno-Traveler Voyager OE-16  (Read 312 times)

biggurn

• Powder-Puff
Polaris Sno-Traveler Voyager OE-16
« on: September 27, 2021, 03:13:25 pm »
I finally made a deal to buy a Polaris Sno-Traveler OE-16 Voyager. It's missing the primary clutch and engine (fortunately I have the correct Onan, albeit off a Cat). I can use a couple pipe fitting to change the exhaust direction until I locate a correct muffler, but what about a clutch?

After exchanging emails with Tony R., he noted based off the 2ndary, I'll need a Fairbanks-Morse clutch, he's keeping an eye out for one. Anyone here have one? (Ironically I sold a set and a transmission on here off our burnt up sled nearly 15 years ago!)

If I can't find one, is the Comet 780 an option? Do I need to look for a 1190/1195?.

Also, what drive belt should be used?

Owning one of these sleds has been a 30+ year journey for me and finally having one will be a dream come true.

A friend picked it up for me (it's in BC and I'm in Idaho). Hopefully we'll get it down here in the next several weeks. The seller included an Evinrude Skeeter for my four boys (they already have a Johnston Skee Horse Wide Trak). We'll probably convert both over to modern Honda clones just to simplify things for them and give them electric start.

I've been holding on to this engine for many years, just waiting to find the a sled! (I do have the starter and generator for the onan).

The previous owner put a ski-don't engine on just to give it a go.

Video of that test drive:
https://youtube.com/shorts/XsAVDtoUd3k?feature=share

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

hotdoo

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Linwood- Mi
    Re: Polaris Sno-Traveler Voyager OE-16
    « Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 02:37:13 pm »
     That is a monster? I have a '61 Ranger with no reverse, it hasn't left the barn on it's own since I restored it! hotdoo

Mr_Plow

• SnoPro
    • People for the Ethical Treatment of Tillotson's
    « Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 10:55:33 pm »
    Are you sure you have the trailer blocked well enough?
    Looks like a long way down!!
     :o
    My sled picture albums: Wild-One, '65 Arctic Cat, AMF, Others
    https://skydrive.live.com/?sc=photos&cid=1a878d203f056b3a

biggurn

• Powder-Puff
    « Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 02:50:05 pm »
    It's currently sitting at a friend's place, on the side of a mountain, hence all the blocks. Wish it was here at my place on my trailer! Hopefully it'll make its way down to Idaho from BC, Canada by the end of the month.