Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Polaris Engines Defined  (Read 3367 times)

tr waters

• SnoPro
Polaris Engines Defined
« on: June 06, 2021, 04:25:34 pm »
Can someone enlighten me, it simple terms, what the difference is between "small block" and "big block" Polaris engines. Is it the actual case width, i.e., bore spacing?  Thanks.

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

AHood

• Global Moderator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    Re: Polaris Engines Defined
    « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 04:48:11 pm »
    Yes it's bore spacing, stud pattern ect. In simplest example a Polaris TX 340 is small block. A TX 440 is big block. Which pretty much carries back to the older engines. Starfire ect. A 650 triple Starfire is big block. A 440 triple Starfire is small block as are the 295 and 340 Starfire.  The bigger twins I'm not sure about. 530 twin ect.   A carryover is the 650 Indy triple is a small block pattern where as the earlier 650 free airs were big block.
    AH Engineering   two stroke engineering solutions, welding, cnc machining,  fabrication, 3D cad design. digital programmable ignitions. custom aluminum sleeves.

73 RATX

• SnoPro
    « Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 02:03:19 am »
    I never really heard of anyone referring to Polaris engines as small or big block.  On the old ones the only real difference between engine families is the stroke. 55.6mm or 60mm.  530 and 795 are 60mm stroke but have a larger base pattern.  I think the only exception for 795 was the 73 kit cylinders which I believe had the 650 base pattern.

Mario

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Dr Mario's, In Biz Since 1998
    « Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 02:59:50 pm »
    Small block is short stroke, 250, 295, 340 twin, and 439, 399, 500 triple. Big block is the longer stroke (340, Electra only) 398, 440, 488, and 530 twin, and 650, 795 triples.

It gets blurred up in the 80s a bit when the shrunk a big block long stroke crank to fit in a centurion small block case for the 600-650 triple. They just moved the pins closer to the edge of the crank wheels to simplify explanation
    Ignorant people find me irritating. Isn't that precious

It takes dedication, and commitment to make a difference..

Please don't expect me to take you seriously, if your tinfoil hat is leaning to the far left,,,,,

and mercury is not a good replacement for tinfoil,,,,

Have a nice day!

73 RATX

• SnoPro
    « Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 08:42:50 pm »
    Mario, glad to see you back.  Long time no post.

Mario

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Dr Mario's, In Biz Since 1998
    « Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 05:21:23 pm »

Not really back. Just felt obligated to give correct info.

Unfortunately, this site has run it's coarse for a lot of us. Too much drama I guess. Miss the old days like a lot of others do
    Ignorant people find me irritating. Isn't that precious

It takes dedication, and commitment to make a difference..

Please don't expect me to take you seriously, if your tinfoil hat is leaning to the far left,,,,,

and mercury is not a good replacement for tinfoil,,,,

Have a nice day!

opsled

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 10:35:46 pm »

Unfortunately, this site has run it's coarse for a lot of us. Too much drama I guess. Miss the old days like a lot of others do

You ain't alone.
    A conscience is a tool used to keep in control those who are prone to betraying their own principles.

I have no need for one.

Omertà is a code of honor that places importance on silence, non-cooperation with authorities, and non-interference in the illegal acts of others. "A criminal's code.

AllenJ

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 12:03:59 pm »

You ain't alone.

Truer words were never spoken ! A small group has taken any fun that there was to be had.
    Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

pj81ac

• Super-Mod
    « Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 08:01:29 pm »
    So where are you guys going to talk vintage sleds if not on this site?  FB really sucks for technical discussion...

motorman45

• SnoPro
    « Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 11:36:18 pm »
    I dont see anywhere else on the web that has this much knowledge saved and a still functioning and posting vintage sled base. no matter what some do here it wont sway me from the hobby or posting here. only been on here for 5-6 years so im not sure who the usurpers are frankly. met some really helpful, friendly and knowledgeable guys here
    2 x 71 Puma dual carb 303
    71 lynx 303 mod
    70 panther 303w