Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Weight distribution hitches  (Read 3607 times)

HYDRAULICYAM

• SnoPro
Re: Weight distribution hitches
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2021, 11:36:27 pm »
Had reese on my wifes stock / horse trailer and the horse was loaded ahead of the axle
and tended to wander side to side in the trailer and it was a hazard with out the bars BUT
i often stopped on road to hook or unhook them as most horse shows involved entering
a field though a ditch or swail and the noise was awful plus it could hang up the rear drive axle
and spin out...
Horses gone !!
I like the steer design on this chain hitch for weight distribution theory BUT it wont be as effective
as the nasty reese bar to stop sway,, My 7x18 V sled trailer can have the odd nasty dip or dive
BUT that V pushes the pickup sideways in a gust or meeting a highway trailer ..I have a little
wedge device on the ball platform to keep it tight in the truck hitch as the top of the ball
wiggling side to side will steer the trailer as well... I installed a friction sway bar to stop the
wind moving me around ...drives straight but one noisey device when you turn  ::)
Recall taking the Fat quadtrac to a show in a flat wind swept area ... winter . pack ice and you get
the strange felling something is wrong and then i could see the entire side of my trailer and
read the writing on the decals at 40 mph ... Adjusted the steering and headed for the shoulder
which had a nice crusty coating of ice and straightened me out... Load was good for tougue weight
and just a 40 mph side wind on the trailer and glare ice..
I like the design but think you might like a sway brake as well ,, curious to see how it feels
with heavy side winds on trailer ..
Ron
Collecting Hydraulic Drive Yamahas ,,72-77
EW643 , TL433 ,TW433 , PR440

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

chris r

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #16 on: May 21, 2021, 11:29:26 am »

Horses gone !!
    I like the steer design on this chain hitch for weight distribution theory BUT it wont be as effective
    as the nasty reese bar to stop sway,,  ..I have a little
    wedge device on the ball platform to keep it tight in the truck hitch as the top of the ball
    wiggling side to side will steer the trailer as well... I installed a friction sway bar to stop the
    wind moving me around ...drives straight but one noisey device when you turn  ::)

I like the design but think you might like a sway brake as well ,, curious to see how it feels
    with heavy side winds on trailer ..
    Ron

Trailer sway is something that I'm concerned with for sure. I had asked the Gray beard guy about needing a sway control shock absorber (if that's what it's called  :-\) and he's saying not necessary. Told me that customers are using these hitches for large and small rigs with no complaints. But, he's the guy I gave the cash to so.................  ;D  ???  ::)  ;D
    When I grow up, I want to be a biker. But Mom says I can't do both.

Teamgreen711

• SnoPro
    • Six restos later and still going strong!
    « Reply #17 on: May 21, 2021, 07:30:22 pm »
    Please let us know how this works out for you.

Thanks, Teamgreen
    1976 440  Sno Twister-five months of pure hell!
    1974 Sno Twister 400-Yep she's fast!
    1976 440 Trail Twister- First resto
    1975 340 Sno Twister-resto finished!
    1973 Speedway Max 440
    1976 Sno Twister 250

chris r

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #18 on: June 11, 2021, 11:12:34 am »
    So I had put the hitch together a couple weeks ago and finally got the trailer out yesterday for my maiden voyage. I have the trailer setting nice and level and the back of the truck might be "just a tick" high, but didn't have any added weight in the bed or a full tank of gas so I'm thinking I'm close on my tension adjustments on the chains.

I took it down the road probably 10 miles, making 10 left/right turns. Did a few panic stops (almost panic) and got the brakes adjusted and everything felt good. Then, I did some soft swerves like if a garbage can or naked stripper was in the road with no big concerns. It seems that the trailer sway was very much under control.

This is the first time I've had the trailer on the road even through we've had it 2 years so I'm for sure behind on getting educated. One of my friends stopped by on his way home so he hung out and went for the ride with me. He got his first camper when he was 12 so I value his experience, not only about trailers in general, but also when it comes to hitting the road. He uses the cast iron arms with the chains that clamp to the trailer tongue like I had years ago and he looked at the new style hitch I bought with some extra scrutiny and honestly said he wasn't sure about it, but once hooked up and down the road I think he feels it will be a good deal. Said he'd have never bought it because it was too different than what he is used to.

We'll see how it goes moving forward but so far I'm saying it's a +1.

Thanks for the replies and have a nice day, night, whatever the case may be.

:)
    « Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 11:01:24 am by chris r »

chuck k

• SnoPro
    « Reply #19 on: June 12, 2021, 05:04:18 am »
    I tow a 26' toy hauler with a 2014 Ram 1500 4x4. 5900 empty, 7500 loaded. 935 tongue weight empty.
    I use a Curt Trutrack anti sway hitch. this system works very well. I have had no issues with side winds.
    I could see where your system would work for distribution.

chris r

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #20 on: June 12, 2021, 11:17:03 am »
    I tow a 26' toy hauler with a 2014 Ram 1500 4x4. 5900 empty, 7500 loaded. 935 tongue weight empty.
    I use a Curt Trutrack anti sway hitch. this system works very well. I have had no issues with side winds.
    I could see where your system would work for distribution.

My camper is 6,500 empty, not real sure how the total weight will add up but I'm hauling my own water. I'll get some miles on it this coming week and will have a better idea of how well it works. Curt is what I was intending on when I went to purchase. Basically I got steered in the other direction by the guy behind the counter. Price was the same. 

chris r

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #21 on: June 19, 2021, 01:33:24 pm »
    Put on 400ish miles with no big concerns. Did have some cross winds to deal with and had some sway, but I'd say it was minimal compared to some of the campers that were passing me. At this point, I'll go with success.