Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Refresh my Memory for the next book: When did vintage racing really take off?  (Read 1263 times)

Roseaufan

• SnoPro
  • Be more.
when I first started to check out vintage racing, I think it was 2002 or 2003, and we started the vintage SnoPro series around then. I think before that, they had one exhibition vintage race at Eagle River, then the next year Armand and SLEDS put on a show before they got a full weekend for vintage? Is that right? Or did ProVintage start the Eagle River weekend races?

Creator of: Quality Garage Time® (QGT) | Go Fast, Turn Left, Look Cool® | Vintage SnoPro Series® | Sky Blue Express® | The Z-Bar Militia® | The Patron Saint of Vintage Snowmobiling® | The Bull Sessions™ |

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

ski-doood

• SnoPro
    My memory is pretty foggy on this topic to answer your questions but.....

I do know a handful of guys talked Deckers into some track time on Derby weekend for the vintage stuff back in the 90's, maybe even late 80's?  I can not remember all the guys but I know Fred Smith, Larry Smith, maybe Terry Purvis??  Robin with a Thunderjet was back near the beginning.  Whoever that gang is deserves credit for building the vintage weekend into what it became.

I do remember in 2000 we hosted an event called the "Ski-doo Reunion" at LeSueur MN and as part of that event we invited in Pro Vintage to do a display and at that time PV was starting to to take off.  We had a nice showing of Pro Vintage race sleds.  That was prior to the 2001 race season so they were going strong in 2000 already.

sledder1

• SnoPro
    • VSCA #143
    I remember going to a race around 1994 in Rome NY where they had some guys oval race vintage sleds as part of the PRO races they were having.
    Tony P. may be able to add more to this.

Skip

Jekyll

• Global Moderator
    • SnoPro
    • Coloma MI (soutwest corner of lower MI)
    I raced there (Eagle River) with Pro Vintage for the first time in 1999.

We raced on Friday during the day and had (I think) 3 exhibition classes that ran with the Friday Night Under the Lights show.

I think there was also 1 or 2 classes that ran during the Sunday part of the WC show.

I'm pretty sure PVR was racing there in 1997.

Side note.......Back in these years they had to be an actual "Super Modified" type chassis 1973 or older (Starfire, Blizzard, Thunder Jet ETC) but even back then we had Wilwood master cylinders, Mikuni carburetors, Whal Skids and deep "v" aluminum skis.

I remember asking Terry Purvis if I could run 1974 SnoPro glass on a 1973 Starfire and he said no. I asked why not, he looked at me and said (I'll NEVER forget this), "Roger, do you really want to be here when there are 400 entries"?  He and the others that started PVR were very visionary!

Take care,
    Roger
    BASHING a Moderator is NOT a victimless crime!

Founding Member of ETJ
    (Enduro Team Jekyll)

mcshane48

• SnoPro
    When I was racing USSA at Eagle River in the mid 90's they were running vintage classes during the derby week. I went vintage in 99 and  I think they were still just running 3 classes as I recall 340, 440 and 800 Mod.
    As vintage got bigger more classes were added and I think vintage ran earlier in the week. Of course eventually vintage got it's own weekend. Terry Purvis, Fred Smith and others really got vintage going at Eagle River.
    "Trample the weak and hurdle the dead!"

ski-doood

• SnoPro
    Fred Smith would be a key figure to talk to.  I know he and Larry Smith took advantage of their friendship with the Decker Family back then and had to do some fast talking to get a time slot on the track during a then, very busy Derby Weekend.  I could get you in touch with Fred if need be.  Fred, my brother and I started riding together in 68 on matching 68 Super Olympic E's.  Even back then Fred could sure ride.

AHood

• Global Moderator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    I don't know when the "racing" took off, but I remember specifically when 2001ish I contacted "vintage sleds" and said there needed to be a discussion forum about vintage In general.  Some "forums" had vintage sections. Some clubs obviously had non internet based  "vintage" races. 
    AH Engineering   two stroke engineering solutions, welding, cnc machining,  fabrication, 3D cad design. digital programmable ignitions. custom aluminum sleeves.

bigbert

• SnoPro
    I took these E.R. pics in 90 or 91.

cotterpin

• SnoPro
    When the 15 year rule came out. 😜
    Why is the vintage stuff only rare and expensive when I'm looking to buy but is worthless when I try to sell it?

Racing Elvis

• Global Moderator
    • SnoPro
      • RUPPSHOP
    i started vintage racing in 2000, there  were good entries at that time.  By 2003 there was a huge jump in entries, by 2005 vintage racing was in full swing. b.s.171

SirSpamalot

• SnoPro
     ;D When the second vintage sled was restored in your neighborhood is when vintage racing took off.
    I have one very special sled.
    I no longer claim to be omniscient because the rules are more like guidelines.
    Thank God I have more than one hobby.

taxidermy mann

• SnoPro
    Is vintage racing fading off a little, seams like there was a lot more traffic in this forum 10 years ago or so?

jschaffer

• SnoPro
    No, it is more popular than ever.  But most people use Facebook instead of websites like this, unfortunately.
    1975 Yamaha GPX 433G
    1977 Yamaha SRX 440A
    1979 Yamaha SRX 440C