Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2022 Cat Launch tonight at Arctic Insider  (Read 1504 times)

ski-doood

• SnoPro
2022 Cat Launch tonight at Arctic Insider
« on: March 04, 2021, 04:54:47 am »
Did you check out the response to the new 2022 Cats?

Read it and form your own opinion but sounds like they might have missed the boat by not jumping all over a 60th Anniversary theme?  I will also have to criticize Doo for missing that opportunity also.  Quite honestly I don't think there were even many people at BRP who even recognized the significance of 2019 to some of the Ski-doo faithful.

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

nobog

• SnoPro
    Re: 2022 Cat Launch tonight at Arctic Insider
    « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 07:29:20 pm »
    Looks like the shortest track you can get is a 137" - all I know about a 137 track is my friend has one on a Polaris and it hardly turns - at least compared to my 121"
    Everything cost more and takes longer than you originally expected

teamgreen2

• SnoPro
    « Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 01:00:59 am »
    With Covid this year everything shut down.   I didn't expect much even if it was the 60th.   I don't think the Pro Cross chassis is out dated.    A few things they could of done.   1 is the gauges and GPS.   They did address the heavy feel on the big 4 stroke with power steering at low speeds and high speed taken away so you don't over steer.  If you ever rode a pro cross with a 4 stroke.   They steer hard from sitting because of the weight.     The clutch up date with the roller bearing.  I personally am still up in the air on the team style clutches.   Heard and seen so many fail.    Everyone was begging for a new chassis.   The R & D on a sled  its just going to drive the cost up that much more.    I don't know if you look at the race results Cross Country and Sno Cross.  Cat is still hard to beat.   They need to get Tucker back on a sled.  He could be away for 5 years come back and still beat every single rider out there now.     Cat stuck a lot of money the last few year in the design of the Alpha and the Blast.     Being partner with Yamaha has its pluses and minuses.     Everyone brags up the new 850 Ski Doo engine and the New Polaris 850.   The  2010 and 2011 Suzuki powered CFR 800HO  would beat it in the drag race and has just as much HP.   They did come out with a new C tech 800 a little late to the game.   Polaris and Ski Doo have already moved on.    Ski Doo's new Mach Z  spikes some interest.  as a limited drag sled with traction control.   Cat has a programable smart ride suspension also this year.    Cat did the smart ride stuff way back in the early 2000's  with the ZL SS (smart suspension)   Polaris had it also on the 45th 99 700 XC.     I do wish they did offer a lot more colors.   I like the orange creamsicle color on the Riot.   Wish that was on all the models.    It is what it is.   I can't afford a new sled anyways.    Most the people that been bitching about what Cat did and did not do.    A are young punk kids  B couldn't afford to buy a new sled anyways C dog in heat if you hung them with a new rope.   

ski-doood

• SnoPro
    « Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 06:34:20 am »
    It's going to be hard for Cat to catch up to Ski-doo and Polaris. Both BRP and Polaris are so well funded and their engineering potential is well beyond what Cat can do (yes Textron could spend some serious money on development but do any of think that will happen?). 

If you go back to the start of the Rev, Ski-doo got out ahead and Polaris missed big with the Fusion but their commitment has been there since their big swing and miss and have done a nice job chasing Ski-doo down and now are very serious competition for them. Cat just has not had the funding to develop and quite honestly I am told by people who probably know, they had to spend way too much money correcting existing problems that it hurt their potential ability to keep up engineering wise.  And for Cat if you paid attention to their financial reports one of their biggest expenses year after year was the cost of programs to try to clean out a pipeline of very old, new, non current sleds.  I think that is in the past now fortunately.

I wish Cat (and Yamaha) luck as we badly need them in our sport.

Skier76

• SnoPro
    • CT and Southern Vermont
    « Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 01:28:47 pm »
    I know they aren't new this year, but those Blast sleds are intriguing. A single cylinder liquid cooled engine that puts out about 60hp. Seems like that would fit the bill for a lot of folks. That challenge there is the price point. I think they're close to $10k.
    1996 Puma 2-up
    1996 Jag

SirSpamalot

• SnoPro
    « Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 07:08:14 pm »
    They need a Cat four stroke back. I've chatted with some guys who still buy new every year. One fellow in particular bought a Yamacat this year because he wanted the four stroke triple. He'd wanted the Arctic stickers on it, not the Yamaha but had no choice. Cat has not had a good clutch in over a decade that they made themselves. There was a recent Insider article that talked about adding PENNIES as weights to improve clutch performance on a sled? How 1966 is that?  ::). The single cylinder sled was a great idea, but the price will cruise over 10 thou soon enough. 10 grand is not a budget machine. This is why us eastern old timer purple underwearers look at this company and go what the heck? We love this brand, but I'm still not convinced it will be around the snow in 5 years unless they get back to where they were financially before the F Series came out. To me, that's the point in time where it started to go south. Just my two cents. The one model for 2022 that would interest me is the ZR 800 137. That still looks like a sled and the seat does not look cut off prematurely and it's still mostly green white black. Yet I miss the Pantera two up. Did that just not sell? Was that why it was killed off so soon?  :o
    I have one very special sled.
    I no longer claim to be omniscient because the rules are more like guidelines.
    Thank God I have more than one hobby.

ovals forever

• SnoPro
    « Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 04:07:05 am »
    Perhaps they learned there lesson from there big flop they turned loose to early at there 50th reunions.

Polaris and Cat both made the same stupid mistake on there 50th they put out an all brand new POS that wasn't even close to being ready and it bit them in the ass.

In 2003 when Polaris introduced there POS Fusion Doo turned out the Rev and Polaris went from number 1 to number 2 where they currently still are.

Here is the moral of the story for both Cat and Polaris
    The decision to release those sleds when they knew they weren't ready could only of been made by the CEO the very top and guess who doesn't work at either place anymore nope they did what CEO's do filled there pockets got paid big money to leave and rode off into the sunset and left everyone else holding the bag.

It's called Corporate America   
    « Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 01:20:34 am by ovals forever »

chris r

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 12:48:38 pm »
    That's exactly how I feel. I used to go to all the snow shows and check out new models and when the Fusion came out it seemed that nobody was really looking at it, at least at the show I was at.

That said, regardless of sleds, cars, anything, I feel if it made it to market before it was ready, it's because someone was filling their pockets.
    If you can't look back on your younger self and realize you were an idiot, you're probably still an idiot.

ovals forever

• SnoPro
    « Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 01:19:01 am »
    I remember being in E.R. that year at the Derby and talking to a couple of guys that had just bought them, I don't remember what the issues were but I do remember that they were pissed off.

What really made it bad for Polaris was the Rev came out that same year and it was completely new from the ground up and other then the fuel gauge being junk they really didn't have any problems at all. Worse yet for Polaris everyone that bought one loved them.

Down the road to 2012 not learning a fking thing from Polaris, Arctic Cat did the same exact thing on there 50th they turned out a sled that was at least a year away from being ready for the consumer, oh they sold the sht out of them because they looked cool but that mistake sent a bunch of Cat faithful over to Ski-Doo.

If you think about it Cat and Polaris probably did more damage to them self then the Rev did to them.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 01:30:22 am by ovals forever »

chris r

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 11:17:17 am »
    It's the end result of putting bean counters in charge.

But not to get too off track, check what hardcore sledder has to say on the Fusion. It seems the readers there loved their Fusions.

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/threads/polaris-600-xc-sp-edge-or-polaris-fusion-600.1489298/

If you can't look back on your younger self and realize you were an idiot, you're probably still an idiot.

XCRacer440

• SnoPro
    « Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 06:23:23 pm »
    I remember being in E.R. that year at the Derby and talking to a couple of guys that had just bought them, I don't remember what the issues were but I do remember that they were pissed off.

What really made it bad for Polaris was the Rev came out that same year and it was completely new from the ground up and other then the fuel gauge being junk they really didn't have any problems at all. Worse yet for Polaris everyone that bought one loved them.

Down the road to 2012 not learning a fking thing from Polaris, Arctic Cat did the same exact thing on there 50th they turned out a sled that was at least a year away from being ready for the consumer, oh they sold the sht out of them because they looked cool but that mistake sent a bunch of Cat faithful over to Ski-Doo.

If you think about it Cat and Polaris probably did more damage to them self then the Rev did to them.
    Yeah that longevity of crank bearings in isoflex grease. Skidoo really has it figured out...  ::)

SirSpamalot

• SnoPro
    « Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 07:47:19 pm »
    Cat did email me a bunch of adverts for the 60'th swag. I guess they finally are making some. I might grab the  flag as it would be neat next to my old Cheetah for shows. Sweatshirt looks plain but price ain't bad. 
    I have one very special sled.
    I no longer claim to be omniscient because the rules are more like guidelines.
    Thank God I have more than one hobby.

teamgreen2

• SnoPro
    « Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 11:24:06 pm »
    They need a Cat four stroke back. I've chatted with some guys who still buy new every year. One fellow in particular bought a Yamacat this year because he wanted the four stroke triple. He'd wanted the Arctic stickers on it, not the Yamaha but had no choice. Cat has not had a good clutch in over a decade that they made themselves. There was a recent Insider article that talked about adding PENNIES as weights to improve clutch performance on a sled? How 1966 is that?  ::). The single cylinder sled was a great idea, but the price will cruise over 10 thou soon enough. 10 grand is not a budget machine. This is why us eastern old timer purple underwearers look at this company and go what the heck? We love this brand, but I'm still not convinced it will be around the snow in 5 years unless they get back to where they were financially before the F Series came out. To me, that's the point in time where it started to go south. Just my two cents. The one model for 2022 that would interest me is the ZR 800 137. That still looks like a sled and the seat does not look cut off prematurely and it's still mostly green white black. Yet I miss the Pantera two up. Did that just not sell? Was that why it was killed off so soon?  :o

The pennies in the clutch are on the new Blast sleds.    It's in the  style of power block clutch.    Which that style clutch been around for 50 years.    Ski Doo ran power block clutch back in the early 70's.  If I remember correctly.    They are flat disks that slide out as the RPM rises just like a fly weight.  The weight of the penny is just enough to get the correct amount of weight and the correct size.    Not really  Jerry Rigging just seems a trick that works. 

SS440-80

• Super-Mod
    « Reply #13 on: July 24, 2021, 07:57:45 pm »
    Power Bloc aint a bad substitut clutch for the old sleds. And the clutch type still exist and you can get it for both +50Hp and +80Hp.

The old Ski-doo variant was called Comet Duster I think, but not sure.
    MY SLEDS:
    LYNX Boondocker RE 850 -18
    LYNX RAVE 600ace -12
    YAMAHA SRV -91
    YAMAHA SRV -90
    YAMAHA ET 400 T/R -89
    YAMAHA ET340T/R -84
    YAMAHA SRV 340 -82, Daughters edition.
    YAMAHA GP292B -73
    OCKELBO 6000 -86
    OCKELBO TRIOMAN -75
    2x JOHN DEERE SPRINTFIRE -83