Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Better shocks for Early Arctic Cats  (Read 450 times)

uncletom

• SnoPro
Better shocks for Early Arctic Cats
« on: February 13, 2021, 01:46:37 am »
I sold a friend a 1972 Cheetah and he is very happy with the sled but keeps asking if he can get better shocks for it.  Are there any?

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

mwohlenhaus

• SnoPro
    Re: Better shocks for Early Arctic Cats
    « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 05:36:49 pm »
    I know when I was looking up new shocks for my 74 colt I could get gas ones.  Problem is that the shock doesn't address the worn out bushings, springs, lack of maintenance in it's former life.  Luckily they are simple machines and don't really have alot of moving parts so it's cheaper than trying to redo a newer machine.  I would guess venture to bet that the original shocks could be measured and a similar sized one used if there weren't any model specific ones available.

Sorry, not a definitive answer that you were likely looking for.

Jesse

• SnoPro
    • Southwest Montana
    « Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 12:29:38 am »
    1 suggestion I might make is simply tune the skid frame up. I thought my 73 panther rode horribly until I adjusted the springs to my weight and greased everything. Ultimately, the shock itself still dampened in its full range when I pulled it out to check.
    1968 Ski-Doo Olympique
    1968 Ski-Doo Olympique Plaisted Replica
    1975 Ski-Doo Elan
    1973 Arctic Cat Panther

Projects: 1966 Sears by Scorpion
    1969 Luger

SirSpamalot

• SnoPro
    « Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 02:45:04 pm »
    Maybe go back through the old articles on Arctic Insider and look up what Brian Nelson has done with El-Tigre suspensions? (2010) That might point you to what you need? Also I have had issues with some generic hydraulic replacement shocks that have weak damping. Most likely foreign made. Jim Dimmerman, I think, built a ZRT powered leafer El-Tigre a few years ago and that sled build is mentioned on that site too. Other than that keeping the swing arms swinging and not freezing up, as rust and ice loves to work into there and create havoc, is key as others have said here.
    I have one very special sled.
    I no longer claim to be omniscient because the rules are more like guidelines.
    Thank God I have more than one hobby.