Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Landline options  (Read 1243 times)

YOOPER

• SnoPro
Landline options
« on: January 01, 2021, 12:08:46 am »
Because of where we live we have crappy cell service.A mile or 2 either way down the road  there is decent service.
Getting tired of paying almost 60 bucks a month for a landline.I personally don't have a cell phone but my son and wife do.
We tried service through a internet provider we had but it sucked,both the internet and the phone.Had to go back to the landline.
We do now have a decent internet service through a different provider  and i have been looking at OOMA phone service which would be about 6 bucks a month.
Anyone here have any experience with them ? I would also consider a cell booster but they are pricey and not even sure if it would help much.
Any input on either ?

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

Earl

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    Re: Landline options
    « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 02:28:02 am »
    We have volp (voice over internet protocol) and love it for several reasons.  1. no more sales calls    2. our YEARLY cost is about $13.00  yes per year.   I think its 1/2 a penny a call.  Granted we don't use it that often but if you don't want  unwanted calls its the cats ass.   NOW the bad: once you sign up you have to go to there site and manually put in every persons (friends,neighbors, work, doctors etc) everyone that you want to talk to in your data base.  ONLY those people will be able to contact you, all others will just get a busy signal.  Its quick and easy to enter those numbers.  Get international calling, long distance calling etc. included.    something to research.....

Paul

• SnoPro
    « Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 01:45:57 pm »
    You might call the place where you bought the cell phone and get a different SIM card for it........ one that has better coverage for your area. I had to do that when I got my iPhone. We'd bought three of them at the same time. Two of them had all four bars for reception lit up, and one (mine) only had one bar. The thing that made me question it was that the phones were lined up side by side on my desk.... not a half an inch apart. When I called the provider, they informed me that one of the phones had a different card than the other two. They sent me a new card for free, that was identical to the others. Never had a problem after that.

Worth a shot!!
    I am not completely insane.......
    Some parts are missing! 🤓

Skier76

• SnoPro
    • CT and Southern Vermont
    « Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 02:17:19 pm »
    Does wifi calling on the cellphones work? We use that on our iPhones at our weekend place. No cell service, but we have cable internet/wifi. Works pretty good most of the time. It flakes out on occasion, but switching over to airplane mode or turning wifi off/on (on the phone) clears it up.

A buddy of mine uses a VOIP setup at his house instead of a landline. It was a cost issue for him and the family. Like you mentioned, the land line was spendy for what it was.
    2002 Z570 SS
    2001 Panther 440

YOOPER

• SnoPro
    « Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 03:23:02 pm »
    The main issue where we're at is the hills and the location of the towers.
    OOMA is hardwired into your home phones but says that you can link to a cellphone also.
    I will look into all the options you guys mentioned.
    Thanks

theSLEDwhisperer

• SnoPro
    • "I think we are going the wrong way"
    « Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 03:42:59 pm »
    Yoop - I have had OOMA for over 3 years now. If you have good internet it is a viable option. I don't have any complaints about it other than when your internet service goes out so does your landline. OOMA is a VOIP system and there are dozens to choose from. We basically picked OOMA because the price was right. They want you to provide a credit card number for monthly payments so I just get a preloaded card at the store and let it run out over time and then repeat the process.

Also as briefly mentioned if you have good internet and a wireless router you can make wifi calls from most cell phone now.
    # 101
    I could be mistaken, I frequently am.

JLOpower

• Official Curmudgeon
    • Global Moderator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Fresh Snow makes me Whiz
      • Ski Whiz Rescue Mission
    « Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 01:12:13 am »
    We have a Verizon network extender that plugs into the back of our router. Has a small antenna so our cell phones work at home.
    Do Not believe everything you think.

YOOPER

• SnoPro
    « Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 06:24:14 pm »
    So after at&t upped the landline to over 65.00 a month we ended up geting OOMA.
    Just hooked it up yesterday and it seams fine.Going to use it for a couple weeks before we ditch at&t and switch our number over.
    So if it pans out we will be paying just over a months payment of at&t for a whole year of the OOMA.

399jlo

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • "Poor kids are just as bright as white kids"
    « Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 10:44:00 pm »
    Way to go. We have had ATT Uverse for about 12 years. We are ditching it after out special pricing period is up. We started streaming TV and found enough to keep us entertained while we are counting the $120 a month savings. Our land line may be next to get axed
    "Let's Go Brandon"
    "Poor kids are just as bright ,just as talented as white kids"-SEN Joe Biden

AHood

• Global Moderator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 06:10:24 am »
    So after at&t upped the landline to over 65.00 a month we ended up geting OOMA.
    Just hooked it up yesterday and it seams fine.Going to use it for a couple weeks before we ditch at&t and switch our number over.
    So if it pans out we will be paying just over a months payment of at&t for a whole year of the OOMA.
    That's market capitalism. Glad you found a good option.
    AH Engineering   two stroke engineering solutions, welding, cnc machining,  fabrication, 3D cad design. digital programmable ignitions. custom aluminum sleeves.