Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Website changes may be coming soon  (Read 1182 times)

Roseaufan

• SnoPro
  • Be more.
Re: Website changes may be coming soon
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 07:32:49 pm »
In the limited interaction we have had with VS behind the scenes, it is obvious that they do not understand the programming that Larry left behind....

That said, the person most deceived in the takeover was Larry himself. Somehow VS convinced him that they were capable of continuing the VintageSleds legacy. I hate to think it was all about the money and VS was just the high bidder.

I think there is still a non-disclosure in place but I can't say much, but I did believe they would have the resources and commitment to keep it getting better, more so than the other interested parties at the time. It doesn't appear they have much interest in doing very much with it now. But you're right it was not about the highest bidder. I wanted someone in a better position than me to keep going.

As for the code.. there is a lot of good code in the classifieds, but it was good code way back in 2006. It is very outdated now. It would be a hoot to update that with things like user accounts and being able to repost your ad, etc.

Creator of: Quality Garage Time® (QGT) | Go Fast, Turn Left, Look Cool® | Vintage SnoPro Series® | Sky Blue Express® | The Z-Bar Militia® | The Patron Saint of Vintage Snowmobiling® | The Bull Sessions™ |

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

jettawreck

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Grand Rapids, MN
    « Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 11:20:13 pm »
    In the limited interaction we have had with VS behind the scenes, it is obvious that they do not understand the programming that Larry left behind and they are not going do anything to modify it. They want to convert it to their standard format. I think the conversion will happen. They have converted many sites with far less traffic, snowblowerforum.com being just one example.

Anyone that thought PhillipB was a real person after the first day of the takeover was only fooling themselves. All those welcome greetings and inquiries about his sledding experience that went unanswered. Turns out 'his' fake identity was even more destructive than Kidsonic, just with less malice directed toward the members.

That said, the person most deceived in the takeover was Larry himself. Somehow VS convinced him that they were capable of continuing the VintageSleds legacy. I hate to think it was all about the money and VS was just the high bidder.

Larry made a sound business decision, I'm sure, and no doubt there was/shouldn't have been any sentimental attatchments after the papers were signed and the check(s) transferred.
    Of course it was about money but maybe time more about being able to do other (probably more profitable) things.
    I'm not too sure if things would have been much different if he still owned/ran it. Members and people's attitudes and interests have changed, mostly not for the better.
    If VS converts this forum to the Xen Foro (or whatever) platform that most of their sites are using be prepared to be drowning in ads mixed in between posts and all over the pages and learn new terminology for all the common headings, but if you view any/many other forums you may already be accustomed to those changes. Many here probably won't adapt well (or quietly).
    « Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 11:21:58 pm by jettawreck »
    I'm not sure where that came from.....

SRXS

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 12:40:11 pm »
    I happened to notice today that the company that owns this site is making all their other sites look exactly the same, and they are probably going to do vintagesleds.com at some point as well.

Go to this page, scroll down to the Snowmobile section and click on hardcoresledder.com, snowmobilefanatics.com, snowmobileforum.com, and snowmobileworld.com - all of them look EXACTLY the same.

I note they did not "upgrade" vintagesleds.com and dootalk.com - that could mean the traffic on this site has diminished enough that it's not worth it for them to keep working on it.. and given the fact that they have changed NOTHING since 2016, my best guess is they will just allow this to fade away.

Whatdya think?

The sites you mention have more traffic than this one?

https://www.verticalscope.com/our-verticals/powersports/

Roseaufan

• SnoPro
    • Be more.
    « Reply #18 on: September 17, 2020, 02:14:27 am »
    In the limited interaction we have had with VS behind the scenes, it is obvious that they do not understand the programming that Larry left behind and they are not going do anything to modify it. They want to convert it to their standard format. I think the conversion will happen. They have converted many sites with far less traffic, snowblowerforum.com being just one example.

Anyone that thought PhillipB was a real person after the first day of the takeover was only fooling themselves. All those welcome greetings and inquiries about his sledding experience that went unanswered. Turns out 'his' fake identity was even more destructive than Kidsonic, just with less malice directed toward the members.

Larry made a sound business decision, I'm sure, and no doubt there was/shouldn't have been any sentimental attatchments after the papers were signed and the check(s) transferred.
    Of course it was about money but maybe time more about being able to do other (probably more profitable) things.
    I'm not too sure if things would have been much different if he still owned/ran it. Members and people's attitudes and interests have changed, mostly not for the better.
    If VS converts this forum to the Xen Foro (or whatever) platform that most of their sites are using be prepared to be drowning in ads mixed in between posts and all over the pages and learn new terminology for all the common headings, but if you view any/many other forums you may already be accustomed to those changes. Many here probably won't adapt well (or quietly).

"But you're right it was not about the highest bidder. I wanted someone in a better position than me to keep going." Wasn't about the money Jettawreck.
    Creator of: Quality Garage Time® (QGT) | Go Fast, Turn Left, Look Cool® | Vintage SnoPro Series® | Sky Blue Express® | The Z-Bar Militia® | The Patron Saint of Vintage Snowmobiling® | The Bull Sessions™ |

750-h2

• SnoPro
    « Reply #19 on: October 04, 2020, 06:00:21 pm »
    I have seen this often in the vintage car hobby, when dominant sites like VS start to get neglected someone else sees the opportunity and starts a new improved site. Soon afterward the word gets out and everyone moves over to this new site causing the demise of the once popular site. This is in fact what happened when Larry first opened this site, many existing sites [Sled Shed, Iron Dogs, Stump Jumpers etc] soon disappeared all together. 
    « Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 09:19:49 pm by 750-h2 »