Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Remember when walking in to a sled dealership.....  (Read 13268 times)

sdsnocop

• SnoPro
Re: Remember when walking in to a sled dealership.....
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2020, 04:12:26 am »
In 1974 my father bought the only new snowmobile anyone in our family would ever own, a 1974 Chaparral Firebird 292. I went with my dad to the dealership in Sioux Falls, SD. My 12 year old eye was drawn to the burnt orange liquid cooled SSX. I asked my dad why we couldn't buy one of the orange SSX's. He responded it was too expensive and you will kill yourself. That memory led me to the search and restoration of the Chaparral SSX I have today. And so far I have not killed myself.
05 Arctic Cat M7
01 Arctic Cat Mountain Cat 600
87 Polaris Indy 400 SKS
74 Chaparral SSX 440

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

69CAMARO

• SnoPro
    « Reply #76 on: September 22, 2020, 06:46:19 am »
    I was 11 years old in 1975. I grew up on a dairy farm in West Central Wisconsin. My dad had John Deere tractors. Well there was a John Deere dealership 25 miles away in Granton WI called Kuhl Implement. Dad is buying tractor parts. I had already caught the bug and I was a Deere fan although I had only drove my grandpas Elan a couple miles. It was the beginning of February. They had a demo JD 300 for a really good deal. That JD dealer was all sleds in the winter. He had a new 75 340/s for sale as well as some new 100 series JDX models. He probably had a half a dozen used sleds too. I remember at least one used 74 295/s too. Anyway a few days later my dad gets me out of the house just a bit before farm chores normally started because he needed a hand with something. Here was that John Deere 300 in the back of the 1969 Chevy farm truck. I think I could not breath since I was so excited. It was on my birthday on February 5. I put over 800 miles on just in my parents fields since I was not old enough to ride the trails. 45 years later I was in that dealer a couple weeks ago to get some JD riding mower parts. The name has changed and there are no more new John Deere sleds there but there is a lot of great memories from that dealer.
    I've got to get my sleds fixed. They seem to be multiplying.

bnkmotorsports

• SnoPro
    « Reply #77 on: September 22, 2020, 12:06:53 pm »
    Great story 69camaro.

XCRacer440

• SnoPro
    « Reply #78 on: September 22, 2020, 02:20:34 pm »
    These stories are great to read, love hearing about all the different brands and experiences

ski-doood

• SnoPro
    « Reply #79 on: September 23, 2020, 03:31:44 am »
    Excellent story 69Camaro.  Many of us have some great memories from back in the days.  Do what you can to help create memories like that for your kids and grandkids. 

69CAMARO

• SnoPro
    « Reply #80 on: September 23, 2020, 04:07:47 am »
    Great story 69camaro.
                      Thank you!

69CAMARO

• SnoPro
    « Reply #81 on: September 23, 2020, 04:09:49 am »
    Excellent story 69Camaro.  Many of us have some great memories from back in the days.  Do what you can to help create memories like that for your kids and grandkids.
            Thanks John!

TXL SP

• SnoPro
    • dont believe everything you think..
    « Reply #82 on: September 23, 2020, 10:50:05 am »
    I remember the little snow machine dealers that used to dot the countryside. I drive through areas in West Michigan,and look at old buildings or where the building used to be and think,"they used to sell Cats there or Scorpions or SkiRoules. Now the dealers sell all the makes and it is very impersonal.
    don't take yourself so seriously..no one else does!

ski-doood

• SnoPro
    « Reply #83 on: September 24, 2020, 04:03:11 am »
    I still buy my new sleds from one of those 'old time' type dealers at Paynesville Minnesota.  Nathe's Marine is Ski-doo only and in fact they disappointed Bombardier and now BRP over the years by not taking on Sea Doo and now Can Am.  Back when the Sea Doo's were getting hot their thinking was actually that a lot of their customers did not like those screaming little water bugs running over the areas dozens and dozens of lakes.  They passed on making a lot of money thinking it was what their customer base wanted.  Probably not a good move really.

They live and breath Ski-doo and have since the early 70's.  They have an amazingly loyal customer base.

When we were ordering our 2021's from them last April they were grumbling that BRP MADE them upgrade their old school Ski-doo and Evinrude signs to the tune of about $5K each. The new ones are huge and also very nice.  Of course 6-8 weeks later BRP pulls the plug on Evinrude - ouch!!!

Good people out there and they are getting to be rare in this area of Motorsport Superstores with little or no character.