Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Michigan Historic snowmobile registration.  (Read 1036 times)

Mike99ss

• SnoPro
Michigan Historic snowmobile registration.
« on: August 31, 2020, 11:17:19 pm »
Is there any way to get the form for doing the vintage registration without going to the Secretary of States office. If I remember correctly, it's handled directly through Lansing anyway.

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

hotdoo

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Linwood- Mi
    Re: Michigan Historic snowmobile registration.
    « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 11:55:27 pm »
    Some people may have had copies made, I did but I can't find them right now ! lol hotdoo

BLUEBYU

• Modified
    « Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 12:46:56 am »

Jekyll

• Global Moderator
    • SnoPro
    • Coloma MI (soutwest corner of lower MI)
    « Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 10:58:05 am »
    Michigan Historic Registration Information..

Effective September 2011, Michigan residents as well as non-Michigan residents (who's snowmobiles meet the age requirements) MAY also NOW PURCHASE a Michigan Historic Snowmobile Registration.  Cost of this Registration is $50 and remains valid for as long as you own the machine.  Snowmobiles that are registered as Historic are EXEMPT from the requirement to also have Michigan Snowmobile Trail Permit.

ALL Michigan Historic Registrations are processed by mail only, and there are a couple of documents that must also accompany the Historic Registration application.  It's a pretty easy process and last I heard, it was taking just over 5 working days turnaround time (my be as much a two weeks now).

Here is the link for Historic Snowmobile application.  You will type directly on the document and then print it off and sign.             http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/SOS448_Historic_Snowmobile_App_362171_7.pdf

If you have a current OR expired MI snowmobile registration, send it along with the above document.  If you do NOT have a current or expired MI snowmobile registration you will need to complete the Certificate of Ownership form.

Certificate of Ownership form link.

You submit the Application form for each sled, also send in the Ownership Certification Form or Proof of Ownership form-- this form asks where/when/how much you paid.   

Here is the link for this form:    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/tr-205_16198_7.pdf

You will need to fill out one of these for each sled, and you will also have to pay the tax due on the purchase price claimed.

If you have any problems please get back with us- we have the staff at the special projects section of SOS in Lansing pretty well in line with how this is supposed to work- but if you have any trouble please don't hesitate.  We can call them after we get the facts from you.

Everything gets mailed to the following address (note, the below address is correct, there is not a street number for this address).

Michigan Department of State

Out-of-State Resident Services Unit

Lansing, MI  48918
    BASHING a Moderator is NOT a victimless crime!

Founding Member of ETJ
    (Enduro Team Jekyll)

Triple Z

• SnoPro
    • Lapeer & Lupton Mich Host Ogemaw Hills Ride
    « Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 01:44:35 pm »
    We are hearing it should take 2-3 weeks  (maybe just a tad more during the current times)

Do me a favor and let us know how long it takes from when you mailed in to get it back,   and the number of the reg sticker when it arrives.

Don't wait-   do it NOW--  snow will be here soon and the vintage rides and fun begins !!     
    65 D100,65-170,66 D100,66 140D,67 H15 Panther,68 PantherH17, 69 Panther H19,69 Panther P19SS,70 Panther 295J ,  70 634 Mod P
    70 Puma 295 EXT,70 Panther295 EXT, 71 292 EXT Special,71 340 PumaZ,72 250&290 EXT,73 250 El'T ,74 295 El'tigre,76 Jag3000,75-76-77 250Z,78 El'Tigre 6000,
    79 CCC ,80snopro

Rampage

• SnoPro
    « Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 03:42:35 am »
    Good luck.  I sent in my check and sales tax only to get back 3 months later a Check  from State of Michigan without sales tax and a sorry we can't register it. Spending my money in other states now.
    Starcraft and Johnson snowmobiles.

Jekyll

• Global Moderator
    • SnoPro
    « Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 02:39:43 pm »
    Good luck.  I sent in my check and sales tax only to get back 3 months later a Check  from State of Michigan without sales tax and a sorry we can't register it. Spending my money in other states now.

Rampage,

Lots of good help on this site about this subject for a couple of members from the original committee.  Sure would love to help you get this resolved, maybe a simple error that we could help resolve.

Please reach out to myself or Doug (Triple Z) with any specifics that can help us track down the particular problem with your Historic Registration.  I know Doug has had a tremendous about of success helping with these issues.

Thanks!
    Roger

Founding Member of ETJ
    (Enduro Team Jekyll)

uncletom

• SnoPro
    « Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 12:58:58 am »
    And be sure to keep copies of everything you send them! Make notes of when you send it in!

jd440

• Modified
    « Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 02:02:19 am »
    The Michigan Snowmobile & ORV association is proposing to lobby for changes to the historic registration, capping it at sleds manufactured before 1993, eliminating the current 25 year old rule.  See the attachment from their recent publication

MR Misfit

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • I am a misfit in every way
    « Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 06:42:56 pm »
    $65 for trail sticker glad i like riding my old stuff
    1968 fox trac 300
    1968 larson hawk
    1970 ski whiz 350ss
    1971 ariens 400ss
    1971 ariens 300 s

thefoolsbro

• SnoPro
    • Hale, MI
      • Hale Area Trailblazers
    « Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 11:58:21 pm »
    $65 for trail sticker glad i like riding my old stuff

that is a proposal of what the DNR says is needed, still $48 this year
    1970 moto-ski 375 (372 jlo) most original vintage winner 1st  Hale show
    1971 chap firebird with an executive hood
    1974 El Tigre 340
    1974 polaris colt 175

1974 chap. ssx 340

ldb

• SnoPro
    « Reply #11 on: September 20, 2020, 01:20:22 pm »
    so what happens to all the 93 & 94 sleds already registered? are they going to revoke them? i would say if they need to change it, then stop it at 1999.

uncletom

• SnoPro
    « Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 10:12:54 pm »
    so what happens to all the 93 & 94 sleds already registered? are they going to revoke them? i would say if they need to change it, then stop it at 1999.

But, Larry I've got a 2000 I'm waiting for!   LOL!

They are saying the snowmobile fund is losing revenue because we have the Historic registration, and I can say right now, I would not buy the regular registration or trail sticker for any of the sleds I have the historic sticker on.

Jekyll

• Global Moderator
    • SnoPro
    « Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 12:19:45 pm »

The easy way to explain the dynamic is this..........

When the Historic Registration program started MSA (now MISORVA) was instrumental in getting the law passed.  There was a 4 member committee of Antique & Historic enthusiast that was formed and acted as an advisory group to help MSA/MISORVA navigate the inter-workings of our community/hobby.

As a joint committee, we looked at all available Michigan Snowmobile Registration data and extrapolated some very obvious facts.  When machines became 20 years old, there was a substantial drop in registration numbers.  As they moved to 25 years old, there was a larger drop and after 30 years even more had fallen out of the system.

We recommended, based on those facts, and to maintain continuity with other Historic Registration types (autos, motorcycles and watercraft) set forth within the Michigan Motor Vehicle Code, to recommend snowmobiles over 25 years old to be considered as Historic for purposes of this law.

At the time of the laws signing, a $50.00 Historic Registration represented double the cost of a annual trail permit. 
    There was simply no way to judge if the Historic Registration program would be successful or not.

Over the past several years, our committee of four has been pushing back (mostly behind the scenes) against the proposed changes in the law that have been "floated" by MISORVA(then MSA).

I believe there are two key factors we must constantly battle. 

#1 Virtually none of MISORVA's current leadership held positions of leadership when the law was proposed and passed. 

#2 Perception is reality and, with most of MISORVA's leadership being over 50 years old, it's hard to maintain historical  context of what is "old" in each persons mind.

Should the law change, current registrations would still be valid.  Most likely there would be a "sunset" on Historic Registrations.

There are most likely two scenarios for a resolution.  Increased fee for Historic Registrations or the "sunset".

Want to make a difference?  Join you local snowmobile club and be a positive voice for the Historic Snowmobile Community!

Founding Member of ETJ
    (Enduro Team Jekyll)

71coltrider

• SnoPro
    « Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 01:45:06 pm »
    Our local snowmobile clubs are all about atvs so good luck there