Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1981 Eltigre 6000 - Paint and finish questions  (Read 245 times)

Wicked King

• Modified
1981 Eltigre 6000 - Paint and finish questions
« on: June 19, 2020, 04:22:43 pm »
I have acquired (after a few years of trying) an 81 Eltigre 6000, that has been sitting outside for about 10 years. While the sled is all complete, the seat, hood, plastics, etc are all faded and shot. So I'm going to give it the complete treatment. Seat cover from Atwood, decal set from Frank S., and fresh paint all around. With that, I have a few questions for the restoration gurus:

1) For plastics like the tank, is it best to try to restore it with chemical treatment like "mothers back to black" or can you paint it? What kind of paint would work best?
2) For the hood I'm going with a base and clear from my local body shop friend. Would you go full gloss for the tunnel and bellypan paint, or would a semi-gloss be closer to factory original?
3) As far as the tunnel goes, what kind of prep is needed to paint the aluminum and have it stay in place? My other two vintage Eltigres are bare aluminum - not sure how to handle the aluminum painting correctly.
4) Also for the tunnel - should I consider powder coat? Pros and Cons?

Any advice is much appreciated - thank for the terrific site! 

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

Vics stuff

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Go Big Or Go Home
    Re: 1981 Eltigre 6000 - Paint and finish questions
    « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 03:58:12 pm »
     The tunnels are factory powder coated. To repaint , you will have to strip off the old paint first.
     I would not paint the tank. The dash and seat cover that.
      Vic

vtg

• SnoPro
    « Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 07:22:57 pm »
    It isn't easy to strip off powder coat.

I haven't had a whole lot of luck with Back to Black but I found another product last winter called Sonax and I'm quite impressed with it so far. The Back to Black seems to actually do a slightly nicer job of bringing back the color when first applied but it fades away quite a lot faster than the Sonax. Just my opinion.
    « Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 07:25:38 pm by vtg »

Wicked King

• Modified
    « Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 01:51:36 pm »
    Thanks for the replies, and for the heads-up on Sonax - I'll give it a shot.