Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: No Rev 1969 Merc 220E  (Read 1653 times)

struggler

• SnoPro
Re: No Rev 1969 Merc 220E
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2020, 06:14:57 pm »
Found the reed cage on the spare engine. 10 small, round valves. Looks like the valves are built into the engine. Best case? oxidized/ dirt? nest? Worst case? Broken valves?  The latter might require a different engine?

This is great, the best part of the hobby.  Not really frustrating, as educational.  I have too much time on my hands for awhile. Was supposed to be on a beach, this week, not full of grease.

Mike

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

skidootntfa

• SnoPro
    « Reply #16 on: March 22, 2020, 07:28:13 pm »
    Those reeds are actually little spring valves. As you accelerate they open on the intake and spring pressure causes them to close on the compression stroke so you get minimal spitback so the engine uses the whole intake charge. All motors are reed valve motors. Either mounted in the cylinders or in the case, they serve the same purpose. The reed cage is removable on these engines. They are mounted with 6 allen head flush mounted bolts. Take the carb and intake assembly off and you'll see the whole reed cage. If I remember 1 reed assembly per cylinder. An inspection won't hurt especially if you've never seen these before. None of them should be stuck open. They should all spring shut and seal.

Good luck  ;)

skidootntfa

• SnoPro
    « Reply #17 on: March 22, 2020, 07:31:20 pm »
    I mentioned all motors were reed valved. I meant these Merc 220 and 250's. Most of the new engines in the new sleds are reed cage motors. There are piston port and rotary valve motors but that's a different topic on a different day. Today is Mercury reed cage motor day.

struggler

• SnoPro
    « Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 02:26:05 pm »
    I take a look at the reed cage and valves on my 220 today or tomorrow.  Can we still order carb kits and other gaskets from Mercury? Otherwise, I'll be cutting my own new gaskets.  Awhile back I was looking for some sort of, at least gasket, kit for the MD147A carb.

skidootntfa

• SnoPro
    « Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 11:53:46 pm »
    I don't think so on the gasket kit from Mercury. But you never know, they ran snowmobile engine parts in their outboards and vice versa... :-\

skidootntfa

• SnoPro
    « Reply #20 on: April 01, 2020, 07:31:14 pm »
    Any updates on the Mercury??

struggler

• SnoPro
    « Reply #21 on: April 02, 2020, 12:59:50 am »
    Not yet.  I did not get around to taking the carb off and examining the reed cage.  I did, however, take apart the older engine to learn what the reed cage is and what the 20 valves look like.  I think the next step is to pull the carb and take a look. Not sure how bad it would have to be to prevent revving. If the reed valves look good, then I go through all of the exercises again. I'm wondering if one of those really small holes in the carb is blocked. I bought some fine wire tools for trying to clean them out.  Anyway, hope to find some time this weekend. Thanks for asking.

Earl

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #22 on: April 02, 2020, 01:20:09 am »
    I bought a micro-size drill bit set from a hardware store.  The bits are so small they will clean out the tiniest holes in any carb. quickly.
    getting older by the minute            2001 Panther 2 up         2002 Z 570

struggler

• SnoPro
    « Reply #23 on: June 25, 2020, 09:40:31 pm »
    Okay, three more running and now back to my nemesis. It's been awhile since I've post on this.  1969 Mercury 220E with Kiekhaefer engine and MD147A Tillotson carb.  Today, I finally inspected the reed cage. All valves looked great. So...

1) 120 PSI both cylinders
    2) spark plugs good and spark on both sides
    3) fuel line clean, intact, without kinks (I'll admit, I found the filter on backwards. This didn't fix the problem)
    4) carb gone through multiple times, but most thoroughly the other day. Found residue on needle and an inlet.  This did not fix the problem.
    5) Kind of looked at timing at one point, but his has a form of CDI. Pretty simple and the machine idles smoothly. No back fire, etc.
    6) Exhaust does not appear blocked
    7) checked primer ports - both tightly capped/ sealed, not in use.
    8) Today while it was running, I sprayed starter fluid in the carb.  No change in RPM.

????

So, I've been assuming a fuel delivery issue.  However, it's all about air:fuel ratio and I think it's around 15:1.  Is it possible that too much air is getting in?  If too much air, kind of the same as not enough gas. Bad seals, cracked crank case, shot rings?  The thing is, it starts easy, idles nice, and when you open up the throttle it does nothing. It does not bog down and die.

My current thought:  When I had the read cage off, got down close with a flashlight and turned the clutch, I could hear air leaking.  Could it be a bad ring all along? Sounds like the MAG side.

Slow as it goes.

Mike

skiroulekid

• SnoPro
    « Reply #24 on: June 26, 2020, 03:22:40 am »
    Years ago I had a Harley sled that did the same thing, I was told it was something in the electrical system that would not let it rev up.

struggler

• SnoPro
    « Reply #25 on: June 26, 2020, 03:44:35 pm »
    Interesting.  I'm trying to figure out how this electrical system would come into play.  If there is enough current/ voltage to create enough heat to spark (and it looks like a good spark) and the timing is on, I don't know what else there could be.

twinrotor

• SnoPro
    « Reply #26 on: June 26, 2020, 09:04:11 pm »
    I have seen weak spark cause that problem.Test the spark with a spark tester or screw driver,how big of a gap will it jump?

SnoDeere

• Stock Racer
    « Reply #27 on: June 29, 2020, 06:52:01 am »
    Does this motor have a 2 stage stator? The first stage looks after the starting and idle and the second stage takes over after that. The second stage could be defective and maybe that's why its not reving up.

struggler

• SnoPro
    « Reply #28 on: June 30, 2020, 03:19:24 pm »
    It has surface gap plugs.  Does a typical in-line spark tester tell you the strength of the spark or do they just glow if there's any spark at all?

Someone mentioned the stator a long time ago. It might be in a 2018 thread on this machine. I didn't really look into it much, as I didn't understand it.  I just recently learned how to replace points and do the timing on another machine. This machine is a bit different. To answer the question, yes I think it has a 2 stage stator.  I say this because it has two levers, one for the choke and the other for ignition, going to what's called a trigger coil.  There's an adjusting plate for advancing and retarding, clearance adjusting screws and timing adjusting screws.

twinrotor

• SnoPro
    « Reply #29 on: June 30, 2020, 07:37:48 pm »
    You can test with a spark tester that has an adjustable gap or put a screwdriver in the plug wire and hold it away from an engine ground,the amount of gap it can jump shows how many kv your system is capable of producing.