Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 380 fan motor in a 1979 Sno Pro chassis-what year motor to use and pipe  (Read 6170 times)

SRX SnoPro

• SnoPro
  • Western WI
Re: 380 fan motor in a 1979 Sno Pro chassis-what year motor to use and pipe
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 06:18:36 am »
We will have a new Cat 250 Sno Pro at 1 or more PVR event next season.   Hope the class survives.     

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

AllenJ

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #16 on: February 21, 2020, 11:49:03 am »
    The rules are in the late model classes not Vintage. If this was to be allowed the rules should have been posted in Vintage and the class listing updated instead of some people gloating that they have been breaking the posted rules for years. It is stuff like this that kills classes. 
    Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

PVR20

• SnoPro
    « Reply #17 on: February 21, 2020, 12:26:34 pm »
    No AllenJ what's killing the classes are the age of the drivers and the lack of 250 sleds and 440 sleds 340 still has a fair amount, no big deal we just wont let 380's run anymore and by the way we run under both oval sprint rules and vintage rules, any venue can add a specialty class and rules arent expressly stated in the ISR book,

AllenJ

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #18 on: February 22, 2020, 12:32:08 am »
    I looked those rules up this morning. It appears you can run any chassis you want as long as the ski stance is under 45"  I assume that apply's to all sleds. It also mentioned 1995 and newer available engines 370 cat, 340 Polaris and 340 Yamaha as well as 380 Rotax's . If that is the way it is going to be spell it  out so everyone be on the same page.

cheater67x

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • That's the only way I know
    « Reply #19 on: February 22, 2020, 04:10:43 am »
    it is also a trailing arm chassis only ,    well it was trailing arm  only  and I assume its still trailing arm only,
    no a arms allowed, those new fangled A arm sleds that have been around  ovals since 1993 (27 yrs old stuff that's too new)
    Now get off my lawn you stinkin kids

people want you to be honest until you tell them how much they suck

GHenry

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #20 on: February 22, 2020, 04:24:34 am »
    Now I’m confused  .... so now we’re using modern and vintage rules on vintage weekend?

Can I drop our 250’s in a newer chassis and still be legal?

Can we do the same in the 340 / 440 classes too?

AllenJ

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #21 on: February 22, 2020, 12:23:38 pm »
    That's the way I see it.  Should be some reasonable priced one year old champ sleds out there.

GHenry

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #22 on: February 22, 2020, 03:52:29 pm »
    We will have a new Cat 250 Sno Pro at 1 or more PVR event next season.   Hope the class survives.     

Good to hear Shaun, will be nice to have some additional "color" out there as well.   

Again, there were no less than four (4) different 250 Rotax engines for sale in the classifieds this past fall / winter.  I know of another "square" 250 for sale in the north eh?.    I know of two different race teams that have long stroke 250's sitting on the shelf, can't imagine those wouldn't be available?   Finding a motor is not the problem, although most will use it as an excuse.  After watching those motors sit in the classifieds for a couple months, I was approached on one said motor and struck up a deal for it ............ couldn't pass it up, great price for a complete running engine with fresh cylinders and two set of pipes for the same.

My guess is most don't want to try and work with the 250 platform, it's not an easy motor to clutch and try and find what it wants.  But what do I know.

PS - Mr. Spaulding has re-popped pistons for the long strokers, so no excuse there anymore either.  Lean em down till they squeak then jet up a size or two.  ;)
    « Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 04:31:47 pm by GHenry »

cheater67x

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • That's the only way I know
    « Reply #23 on: February 23, 2020, 01:34:27 am »
    You guys do realize most clones have revised dimensions and have for years.  Some of the orig ones I  see angle changed, chassis  bars mounted different. So if guys are changing angles on stuff,whats the difference ?  you do understand there not making the chassis worse with their efforts .
    lol  its all lipstick on a pig.  I think some are getting PVR and Eagle rules confused.
    people want you to be honest until you tell them how much they suck

opsled

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #24 on: February 23, 2020, 12:29:28 pm »
     So one guy asks a question about how he can get into a class and have fun without spending a bunch of cash. Even said he isn't concerned with being the best, just want's to compete and have fun. His question gets turned into a two page back and forth argument about rules, money, who has it, who cheats, how they will do it and how the class/sport will die.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but the original author has not responded to any of it. Buy now he has probably pushed the sled out to the road, put a for sale sign on it and is waxing his golf clubs.

Almost every thread on racing ends up like this. Pretty hard to entice new blood into the sport with all the negativity.

Just an observation from someone with no skin in the game.

opsled
    A conscience is a tool used to keep in control those who are prone to betraying their own principles.

I have no need for one.

Omertà is a code of honor that places importance on silence, non-cooperation with authorities, and non-interference in the illegal acts of others. "A criminal's code.

2muchfun

• SnoPro
    « Reply #25 on: February 23, 2020, 01:32:23 pm »
    And the difference here is what to you ophole. Your hole don't stink   :-*

slowestsled

• SnoPro
    « Reply #26 on: February 23, 2020, 01:44:15 pm »
     :D :D Read the positive post on "DERBY ATTENDANCE", that list of reasons will help float your boat. :-X :-[ :P :-\ :-* :'( And as other posters say, " EACH TO THEIR OWN"

AllenJ

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #27 on: February 23, 2020, 01:50:47 pm »
    So one guy asks a question about how he can get into a class and have fun without spending a bunch of cash. Even said he isn't concerned with being the best, just want's to compete and have fun. His question gets turned into a two page back and forth argument about rules, money, who has it, who cheats, how they will do it and how the class/sport will die.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but the original author has not responded to any of it. Buy now he has probably pushed the sled out to the road, put a for sale sign on it and is waxing his golf clubs.

Almost every thread on racing ends up like this. Pretty hard to entice new blood into the sport with all the negativity.

Just an observation from someone with no skin in the game.

opsled
    He got a answer right at the beginning 380's would not be legal as the rules stand. Run a 340. Those that twist the rules are the ones prolonging this discussion.

Tom Priebe

• SnoPro
    « Reply #28 on: February 23, 2020, 03:53:34 pm »
    it is also a trailing arm chassis only ,    well it was trailing arm  only  and I assume its still trailing arm only,
    no a arms allowed, those new fangled A arm sleds that have been around  ovals since 1993 (27 yrs old stuff that's too new)
    Now get off my lawn you stinkin kids

A arms have been around much longer than that.  Ski-Doo Formula 250, with the "square motor".  The architecture for that was based on the 75 245 RV, and 76 Super Mod kit...
    Pay no attention to the man behind the green curtain!

SRX SnoPro

• SnoPro
    • Western WI
    « Reply #29 on: February 23, 2020, 05:10:51 pm »
    I can't speak for people making these decisions, but I would guess that this is more in an effort to keep costs down, as there are a lot of 4 bar race chassis around at fairly reasonable prices.   It probably wouldn't be long and there would be no IFS SnoPro sleds competing in the class they are trying to save, if they opened it up to A-arms IMHO.   People would be running newer Champ/light and limited chassis before long.