Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 71 Scorpion Stinger II - $200 sled.  (Read 1431 times)

EricR

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
  • Official Tillotson ambassador to the south!
    • Jethros Garage
71 Scorpion Stinger II - $200 sled.
« on: February 02, 2020, 04:11:34 pm »
I decided that I needed a Scorpion.  Because I didn't have one, or for that matter any machine built in my home state of Minnesota. And I love engines in my lap, and 70's funk like big metalflake.

I didn't want anything pre 1970, as Scorpion's cog drive tracks were known to disintigrate (had chain vulcanized in to them) used pre '70 and post '70 on the lower trim models (Mark I, mark II etc)  and I did not want to deal with doing a track swap.  I wanted one with the later internal drive poly track.

I did not want anything with a JLO twin. Now now don't get upset JLO fans, it's well known by JLO aficionados  those twins were and are known to run hot and burn down UNLESS a very pains taking complete tear down with new seals, possibly adding base gaskets etc to "de tune" them is done to make them reliable on lower octane gas we have these days and trail riding.

My pal Swede up in Backus MN pointed this one out to me on a FB group- seeing as I was 1500 miles away living near the ocean in Georgia he also offered to look at it for me. Thus he did, and picked it up, stored it for me.

Finally my few days in MN came a rolling along!  MN had had a LOT of snow this season especially north of St Cloud.

The above is a Buick Park Avenue to give perspective on how deep it is. 8)

NOW what is this lump?

A little diggin'...

What do we have here? ;D

THE BEAST!!!

She had a blown idler wheel, which was known. I had purchased a complete rear axle with wheels and one of the wheels had a bad bearing, I got another wheel with a good bearing as well, all bought over the net before I got to the machine. In the shed of Swede she went for that, but first, we gave her a shot of permix through a squirt bottle- the 293 Sachs popped right off! The fuel filter inline was full of crap, and found the tank had some crud in it. So a spin on filter, short line, and a Mystic oil jug provided by Swede were employed.. we never even took the spark plug out.

The chrome tips gleam nice on what appear to be '73 Polaris Colt skis. :)  With the nearly "standard" offset spreaders I see on most every wedge body Scorp around.

Enjoy-

The track has some wear on the drive nubs but is otherwise in nice shape, the drivers are worn but once the track was adjusted right there is no ratcheting etc.

The GEM ram horn on the HR tilly is worth about 1/4 the purchase price of the whole thing.  ;D

The clutch stuck a few times- a rap with a hammer on the end bolt got it to back off, but it definitely needs to come apart for cleaning. Once wound out, you have to blip the throttle to get it to back shift. And it creeps at idle, I can't idle the engine down slow enough not to stall, I suspect a weak spring or such- I am told it is a Scorpion "L" arm clutch.  I am impressed by how slow that Sachs will idle down though. The headlight works, tail light wire is broken under the hood- the belt is nice and there is a NEW spare in the trunk! Also, it takes a 1034 belt, oddly my '76 Deere, '73 and '71 Ski Doos all take the same belt... how nice is that? No need to have different spares!

Swede's NICE original '72 Stinger II, with the 340SS sachs came out to play.  ;D

Also included in the price was a nicer dash with the spark plug cover as the one on the machine is cracked and melted on the pipe.

A nice bowl where someone dug some gravel out provides a good launch. 8)

Here's the vid if anyone hasn't seen it posted up in the virtual rides thread-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKERCnwOiNc

A shot of some of my fleet in MN, '71 Moto Ski not pictured.  Wanted all the headlights on but due to the creepy clutch I couldn't have the Scorp stay running. Usually start up with a five gallon bucket propping the back up, then let 'er down and go. Park it slightly up hill or with the skis in to a snow bank if I need to walk away from 'er.

All good things must end- had to return south to the job and family- tucked away in the shed for now.  Plans are to clean it up, re cover the seat and probably make it a few inches thicker, as my 53 year old knees don't bend like they used to. Clean out the tank, swap on my better console, maybe make a low wind shield, get the tail light working.  Maybe a Yosemite Sam "BACK OFF" floor mat for a flap.   

And ride it hard when ever I can!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 04:32:14 pm by EricR »
I scatter them from the midwest to south of the Mason Dixon

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

covert

• SnoPro
    • Who is John Galt?
    Re: 71 Scorpion Stinger II - $200 sled.
    « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 05:52:44 pm »
    Flame stickers add 10 horse!  ;D
    '72 Oly 399, '73 Elan SS, '88 Inviter

"No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows; in no way can the success of evil be made surer or quicker." - Theodore Roosevelt

motorman45

• SnoPro
    « Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 01:05:48 am »
    Very Cool ! nice pics and story, always loved the old sachs powered scorpions
    72 Cheetah 440 sachs
    72 Cheetah 303 custom
    71 Puma 303 mod
    71 lynx 303 mod

TZR

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 03:22:48 pm »
    Well, I guess this rules out attending the christian vintagesleds bible study ride !   ;D

And I will keep a eye open for DIO stickers instead of your traditional Iron Maiden ones for this sled.   ;)

( take a DIO album cover,......turn it upside down, and then read what the word dio looks like )   ;)

Gonna say, even I woulda been a bit leery once I saw the 666 on the side.   Might wanna make sure your insurance is up to date, and dont ride farther than you care to walk.   ???
    Rideing Onward..........as the World Spirals Downward

EricR

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
      • Jethros Garage
    « Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 11:47:50 am »
    Funny I did not see the numbers as the seller's pics had it in a storage unit surrounded by other stuff.

See the first pic of the hood exposed by a shovel? That is a spare hood Swede gave me. It came off the sled in the old pic of Rampage pouring gas over a Scorpion given him by the late CP.    I'm going to clean it up and put it on, the flake is in far better shape.

The handlebars are bent and I'm pretty sure it has been rolled a time or three in it's life. ;D

TZR

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 02:55:28 pm »
    Totally agree with da hood swap !   I would leave da lichens on it as is.   ;)

Gonna have good juju from CP & Rampy embedded in it.

Use da 666 hood in a bonfire or trade it for usefull stuff.  Bad vibes in that hood.

69MarkIII

• SnoPro
    « Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 11:30:03 pm »
    Eric, the '71 Stinger I-II series will tip over just sitting in the garage. The spreaders don't do much for stability but will give you some 'camber' with enough hard landings! Either the spindle will bend or just snap eventually. Personally I preferred the stock, geeky looking tall narrowness to the idea of losing a ski at the blistering top speed of 45mph!

I was really looking forward to this thread! Glad to hear you got her running. I LOVE Sachs singles! Few things (except maybe Rotax) beat their simplicity and reliability. I've  had some that sat for 30 years and will fire right up without pulling the plug. It might pack the cylinder with shredded mouse nest, but it'll run!

Grumpy Jenkins had 666 on the side of his '66 L79 Nova and had a pretty good season that year, so I guess it could go either way!

If I find some handlebars I'll let you know! -Marc.
    1958 Beeline Sapphire 16' speed boat.
    1960 Studebaker Lark Regal wagon.
    1968 Scorpion Mark III.
    1969 Skiroule S-370.
    1969 Scorpion Mark IV 400.
    1970 Boa-Ski Mark I 246.
    1971 Ski-Doo Elan.

EricR

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
      • Jethros Garage
    « Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 01:19:53 am »
    Thanks Marc-

Yep I had never ridden a wedge, though technically I had ridden a home built "Stingeroo" where a guy used a wedge, cut the lips off the pan and ran a teardrop hood on it, then used a "lil Whip" short track and two bogie sets, cut the excess tunnel off to make a custom, so I guess it was the same thing.  ;D

In any case I figured I should just buy one site unseen. It has the GEM aluminum ram horn with the screen intact in it, that's got to be worth a few bucks by itself.  Man oh man I do love the way it sounds through that Donaldson muffler, and the feel of that cable recoil. Sachs got the recoil right. 

I appreciate ya looking out for some bars- I don't care if they are rusty, these are obviously bent down.  Probably the same roll over that broke the dash and took out the windshield?  ;D  It's got to be a good story anyway...   

swede

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • WIN.....then dominate
    « Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 02:47:40 pm »
    Good story as always!  That was a fun day wrenching, riding and tunes.  BTW TZR no Dio or Maiden....I think we listened to half a dozen old Melvins albums tho
    look over your shoulder now and then to be sure someone is following you

TZR

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 02:23:47 pm »
    Cool !

Well, Jethro is gittin on in years now.......Lawrence Welk cant be far off.  I bet Jethros dad has a few Mel Torme albums you guys could borrow !  ;D

EricR

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
      • Jethros Garage
    « Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 09:43:45 pm »
     Just occurred to me, $200 is the MOST payed for a single sled on initial purchase of mine. ;D

EricR

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
      • Jethros Garage
    « Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 02:32:08 pm »
    Let's see- I took the original seat remains back to Georgia with me when I visited this summer, I also installed a nice set of handlebars purchased from Steve Chapman in Michigan (great guy to deal with, parts a lot of scorps)  and installed a nice dash that was not broken.

I cut a new seat board, then added about two inches of foam, got some sparkly flake vinyl off of Amazon and stapled myself up a seat cover. 

Ski of Plenty

• SnoPro
    • Caution: Has an opinion you may not like!
    « Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 01:52:32 am »
    I had one of those...sold it a few years ago. Mine had a 400 CCW and no ski spreaders. One time on a vintage ride I got the genuine Scorpion speedo up to 58 mph...felt like more than 90. Most terrifying ride I ever had. I debated putting a kick stand on it (yes they do tip over easy) If you can ride one of those without tipping over you can probably do wheelies with a unicycle. 
    « Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 02:40:31 am by Ski of Plenty »
    If you're angry, frustrated or crazy and feel you have to kill someone...start with yourself!

1994 Polaris Trail Deluxe
    1993 Polaris XCR 440
    1977 Scorpion Sting 440
    1975 Scorpion Whip 340
    1975 Rupp Nitro F/A 440

EricR

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
      • Jethros Garage
    « Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 01:47:36 am »
    Ski of plenty, that is one sweet looking wedge stinger!

Ski of Plenty

• SnoPro
    • Caution: Has an opinion you may not like!
    « Reply #14 on: March 11, 2021, 06:19:11 pm »
    Ski of plenty, that is one sweet looking wedge stinger!

Thanks...that's one I sometimes wish I hadn't sold. When I restored it the original hood was busted out in the front. Believe it or not a friend found a NOS wedge hood on a shelf at Certified Parts and brought it home for $35.00. Lots of scuffs on it but I water sanded it and shot 6 coats of Sikkens clear on it. Sanded about half of that off and buffed it. It sure looked pretty in the sunshine.
    By the way I apologize for hi-jacking your thread a bit, but you don't get to talk about wedge hood Stingers much anymore.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 06:28:00 pm by Ski of Plenty »
    If you're angry, frustrated or crazy and feel you have to kill someone...start with yourself!

1994 Polaris Trail Deluxe
    1993 Polaris XCR 440
    1977 Scorpion Sting 440
    1975 Scorpion Whip 340
    1975 Rupp Nitro F/A 440