Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic Sled Find of the Year 2020  (Read 3990 times)

chris r

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
Re: Classic Sled Find of the Year 2020
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2020, 12:03:33 pm »
Pretty cool bigwedgies. Not sure I understand what you are saying about the rear skid. Other than Vector shocks, what's different on the skid?

:)

Cool info on your submission too Skidoojunky.

I hope we see some more Classic sleds being found this year. It's been a crazy 2020 so far.

If you can't look back on your younger self and realize you were an idiot, you're probably still an idiot.

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

bigwedgies

• SnoPro
    « Reply #31 on: October 10, 2020, 03:48:42 pm »
    Pretty cool bigwedgies. Not sure I understand what you are saying about the rear skid. Other than Vector shocks, what's different on the skid?

It has a single rear shock. The later extra 12s have 2 shocks, also the arms are different to accommodate the single shock as is the suspension stop.   I have not seen any other pictures of one of these suspensions. Many have told me their buddy has one in his garage but nobody has come up with one yet. Iíve even had people tell me Polaris never made this set up.  But itís exactly like the set up manual for the original 94 xlt xtra.
    1965? fox trac 140??
    1970 ridge runner
    1969 innovar sno coupe
    1979 chrysler sno runner
    1979 skidoo elite
    2,1971 polaris charger tx 300.
    1974 tx500
    1972 atx335

dirtman

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • nort west mini-sota ya betcha
    « Reply #32 on: October 12, 2020, 02:51:22 am »

It has a single rear shock. The later extra 12s have 2 shocks, also the arms are different to accommodate the single shock as is the suspension stop.   I have not seen any other pictures of one of these suspensions. Many have told me their buddy has one in his garage but nobody has come up with one yet. Iíve even had people tell me Polaris never made this set up.  But itís exactly like the set up manual for the original 94 xlt xtra.

We NEVER stated that a XLT Special xtra was NOT made, we said Polaris never made a 14" travel rear suspension....the only place 14" travel is mentioned is in magazine articles, not in any Polaris literature??  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sooo, what is the actual travel???

dirtman
    a bunch of Polaris's   PETT # 85

bigwedgies

• SnoPro
    « Reply #33 on: October 18, 2020, 05:23:49 pm »

We NEVER stated that a XLT Special xtra was NOT made, we said Polaris never made a 14" travel rear suspension....the only place 14" travel is mentioned is in magazine articles, not in any Polaris literature??  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sooo, what is the actual travel???

dirtman

I never actually measured the rear suspension travel. It was already partially disassembled when I got it. The suspension is complete but out of the sled now, next time I get a chance I will measure it.  But even the extra 12 is rated in the Polaris literature as 13.1 inches so I donít see it far fetched this is a fraction of an inch longer giving it the claimed almost 14 inches. 
    I do recall and after rereading the other thread, I was told that the sled did not come with a prototype style suspension that it came with the xc100 suspension used in other sleds.  But itís obvious due to the fact I now have one in my possession and also the Polaris literature posted that sled sled did in fact come with a prototype style xtra 12 rear suspension if you must. Which in fact did have closer to 14 inches of rear travel. I can give you my ďtheoryĒ only but itís only worth anything to me. So Iíll Lee it to myself. 
    You are right, I cannot find any actual Polaris literature claiming. Extra 14.  But there is very little literature on any of the late release sleds. But that wasnít even the previous discussion.  Again reading the other posts I was told that the sled came with the Xc 100, and I think the fact that dealer set up instructions, and now an original suspension exist, I think that doesnít hold water.
    But I personally donít have friends that worked at Polaris during these times, or ever I just have solid information sitting in my hands.
    1965? fox trac 140??
    1970 ridge runner
    1969 innovar sno coupe
    1979 chrysler sno runner
    1979 skidoo elite
    2,1971 polaris charger tx 300.
    1974 tx500
    1972 atx335