Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Clutches, bushings, and Loc-Tite  (Read 653 times)

cat5752

• SnoPro
Clutches, bushings, and Loc-Tite
« on: January 10, 2020, 01:48:20 am »
Okay, so I saw a video on YouTube of a guy from EPI rebuilding clutches and in that video he talked about using green Loc-Tite on the bushings when they are pressed in. Is this right, or do they go in dry? Have almost all of my clutch rebuild parts for drive and driven and want to figure out if I need anything else. 1994 Polaris XLTSP with P85. Thanks as always for not kicking me off the site for asking dumb questions all the time.  :o

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

Earl

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    Re: Clutches, bushings, and Loc-Tite
    « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 02:54:07 am »
    I don't have a answer for you about the clutch.  I am the leader in asking dumb questions.  But don't concern yourself, there are no dumb questions just another opportunity to open your mind and learn new things.  Never too old to learn...
    getting older by the minute            2001 Panther 2 up       80 Kitty Cat   2002 Z 570

chris r

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 11:34:51 am »
    I'm not real sure on this. I'm a believer in loc-tite when needed, but not if it isn't needed. I'll assume the bushing in question is a bronze one.

The Green is the "Wicking" type to be used on something that is already assembled. I don't think it would hurt to use it for this, but if the bushing is loose in the hole, I would take it out and I would spike it with a punch in a number of places in order to create some raised bumps on it. That would give you some "teeth" on that part by increasing the over all diameter of it. At that point, if I felt it was still loose, I would determine my fix based on just how loose it is. If it was close, I'd probably use the Blue loc-tite and re-install the bushing. If it felt like it was still questionable, I'd get/make another bushing more suitable for the job at hand.
    If you can't look back on your younger self and realize you were an idiot, you're probably still an idiot.

C-note

• SnoPro
    « Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 05:43:55 am »
    Loc-tite compound #609 (thin green) is a compound used for press fit assembly of Duralon®️ bushings used in Cat and Polaris clutches.

It does have a tendency over time to accumulate moisture and “swell”, making the pressed in bushings I.D. reduce in opening size, creating very tight (binding actually) bushing to shaft interference. For that reason alone, I do not recommend it for such uses. It is a med-high strength boot/nut compound also.

If you’re looking for a really strong Loc-tite compound, find some #620 (thick green) and it will retain nuts and bolts like you’ve never seen before.

Vics stuff

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Go Big Or Go Home
    « Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 04:21:13 pm »
     I do not use any loc-tite on my bushings. When pressing the originals out , did you ever see where they used any from the factory ?
     Vic

xcr440

• SnoPro
    « Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 06:50:50 pm »
    I was going to say, I put on many miles a year, so I usually replace the weight bushings about every 2500-3000 miles.  Never once have I used anything on the bushings.  Press the old ones out, press the new ones in.  Done.  I've never seen one move, ever.

C-note

• SnoPro
    « Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 05:16:32 pm »
    Fella’s, I’m referring to the moveable sheave bushings (and spring retainer cover bushings for Cat and Yamaha along with Polaris  primary’s and Doo secondaries), not the weight bushings.

Vics stuff

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Go Big Or Go Home
    « Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 03:58:52 pm »
     I press all mine in dry.
     Vic

earnhardtnorth

• SnoPro
    « Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 05:01:42 pm »
    Just ran across this post now... probably too late but here's what the 1996-1998 Polaris factory service manual says...

This goes for both P-85 & P-90 primary clutch cover bushings (not for the movable sheave bushing or secondary clutch bushing)

"On GARMAX style bushings (PN 3576516) apply Loctite 680 (PN 2870584) to the outer surface of the bushing.
    Retaining compound is not required on bronze/Teflon type bushings (PN 3576510)
    Do NOT lubricate bushings as premature wear will result."

P-85 Cover bushing Garmax style (Installed dimensions)
    Nominal bearing bore 1.125"
    Service limit 1.140

P-85 Cover bushing bronze/Teflon type (Installed dimensions)
    Nominal bearing bore  1.125"
    Service limit 1.132"

Service limit on bronze/Teflon types:
    When more brass than Teflon is visible on the bushing.
    « Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 05:04:26 pm by earnhardtnorth »
    What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?