Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1969 Skiroule SX-740 Adventure  (Read 6018 times)

zoom

• SnoPro
  • The whole fam damily in 1968
Re: 1969 Skiroule SX-740 Adventure
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 07:27:23 pm »
I failed to give credit to RTX doug for his help in this project. He had contacted Derwood some years ago about SX-740 parts.  He supplied a picture of two of the unique parts .  Those gave us some clue what to be looking for as my memory of specifics was very questionable. For example ,I had given Derwood a description of the engine mounts . This probably lead to him tossing the mounts or " hinges "  he found.  When I first visited the Dennis Sawyer example and saw a SX-740 again for first time in close to 45 years , I at first suspected it's mounts weren't correct.  That is what a memory , poor memory can do to you.  Put doubt in your mind even when shown the real thing.  Sawyer's mounts are the real thing . When Derwood contacted RTX doug about the parts in the photo, he explained they weren't his to sell. The two parts in the pic were the chain case spacer and front axle. Thank you RTX doug . 

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

EricR

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Official Tillotson ambassador to the south!
      • Jethros Garage
    « Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 03:16:21 am »
    LOVE IT!
    I scatter them from the midwest to south of the Mason Dixon

chris r

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #17 on: December 10, 2019, 01:42:34 pm »
    First of all I turned a piece of scrap material to the size of PTO bearing OD .  Used this to set-up steady rest .  In Clausing lathe , I  held Mag. end in three-jaw chuck and the bearing on PTO end I sat in the steady rest .  Held the bearing tight , instead of letting it rotate in steady rest. The crank then turned in the bearing as if it were in the engine.  Hung up some card board to deflect any chips and went at it. LOL   Should have taken some pics of that ,  "Rube Goldberg "  set-up.  LOL   

With the broken part of the PTO end was sticking out past the bearing no worries.

:)
    If you can't look back on your younger self and realize you were an idiot, you're probably still an idiot.

zoom

• SnoPro
    « Reply #18 on: December 11, 2019, 04:28:41 am »
      On my first visit to Chatham , as I said I took lots of pics and measurements.  The sled is displayed under another, so getting to it wasn't the easiest.  The only under the hood pics , were just that, poking the camera up under the hood and clicking away. I could only get a poor view of the chain-case area . Both with the naked eye and latter looking at the pics. So we had those pics , my impressions and the RTX doug's supplied pic. Derwood and I started attempting to reason  something out of all this info . Then we heard about the Warning sled . Having spoken with Dan Nimsgern before about another matter , I contacted him about the 740.  He said he would take all the pics I needed and answer questions.  8) He invited us to visit the sled .  A couple of pics from Chatham.

zoom

• SnoPro
    « Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 04:32:34 am »
    Some pics from the Warning SX-740

zoom

• SnoPro
    « Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 04:35:48 am »
    A few more  and a couple sketches Dan provided.  All these were a big, big help.

zoom

• SnoPro
    « Reply #21 on: December 11, 2019, 04:53:52 am »
    Then Derwood received some pics from the fellow that owned the parts RTX doug had the pic of.  Whew , talk about a run-on sentence. LOL   We have a lot more pics, but you get the idea.  So after  receiving all this info we proceded with construction of the chain case spacer.  This part is needed  for belt alignment since the engine is so wide and the narrow tunnel mount positioning. I remember that the Rupp 740 Sachs machine uses something a spacer of some type .  Derwood and I had concluded from our research ( hours of looking at pics and measuring parts of the Sawyer sled ) that Skiroule was building these 740 sleds with at hand parts modified to suit.  We decided it made sense for several reasons. One reason : it was 1968 and Skiroule was a small company.  The other reason was : we have all heard that were only 30 of these engines imported. Ten to Rupp. Ten to Alouette . Ten to Skiroule. I don't have a clue whether these numbers are correct . 

zoom

• SnoPro
    « Reply #22 on: December 11, 2019, 05:00:04 am »
    We finally decided Skiroule made the spacer  by sectioning a  chain case , adding width with a stock size piece of steel bar and welding .   Dan and RTX doug's friend verified the dimensions for us and off we went .

zoom

• SnoPro
    « Reply #23 on: December 11, 2019, 05:10:50 am »
    All the pics for now . Derwood will post some pics of finished spacer. Quite a bit a of work involved  for us . A piece of aluminum and a little machine work would have accomplished the same . We guess that  cutting up a chain-case , some bar stock , plate and welding was easier for Skiroule.  All that material was probably on site for sled construction.  Same could have been said about the engine mounts . We didn't have the luxury of having the angle iron and bar stock in inventory and welders on the pay-roll. LOL

chris r

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #24 on: December 11, 2019, 11:45:10 am »
     :)
    If you can't look back on your younger self and realize you were an idiot, you're probably still an idiot.

dirtman

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • nort west mini-sota ya betcha
    « Reply #25 on: December 12, 2019, 02:06:27 am »
    Enjoying this one!!   8)  8)

dirtman
    a bunch of Polaris's   PETT # 85

theSLEDwhisperer

• SnoPro
    • "I think we are going the wrong way"
    « Reply #26 on: December 12, 2019, 03:21:10 am »
    I doubt I will have anything you need for the build - but just in case as I go through my mess, I'll keep putting this green stuff off to the side for when you guys come down and take a peek.
    # 101
    I could be mistaken, I frequently am.

zoom

• SnoPro
    « Reply #27 on: December 12, 2019, 03:44:07 am »
       theSLEDwhisperer , thanks for thinking of us. :)

derwood

• SnoPro
    « Reply #28 on: December 14, 2019, 02:11:30 pm »
    RTX Doug sent me the pics of the chain case spacer and drive axle that someone he knew had. That at least gave me a idea of what I was looking for since I had no clue. For whatever reason, I have only been able to find the axle other than the motor mounts which I know in my heart I threw away. I still think that the spacer is laying around somewhere next door because dad always said the stuff was around. Doug reached out to the person to ask if it was ok for me to contact him about the parts so I could get info about them. I believe his name is Bernhold Trembolay, have it in my notes somewhere. He was kindly nice enough to give me pics and measurements of his so we could duplicate it. Like Zoom said, it looks like Skiroule just sawed a regular case apart, made a spacer, and then welded it back together to get the measurement they needed. When we are figuring this all out, I kept saying that we had to look at this in the simplest way. That Skiroule would have done it the easiest, simplest way possible to get the job done. We were overthinking some stuff just because of our tool and die backgrounds. Here is the finished project that we came up with. Even though there is a pic of the original already, I will show one in comparison to what we came up with.
    Derwood
    I want more than I need.

Everyone wants to change the world but no one wants to change themselves.

derwood

• SnoPro
    « Reply #29 on: December 14, 2019, 02:15:06 pm »
    Couple more and one of how it will look in the sled.
    Derwood
    I want more than I need.

Everyone wants to change the world but no one wants to change themselves.