Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1969 Skiroule SX-740 Adventure  (Read 6019 times)

zoom

• SnoPro
  • The whole fam damily in 1968
1969 Skiroule SX-740 Adventure
« on: December 08, 2019, 03:40:58 am »
        In the fall of 1968 we sold a new 1969 Skiroule SX-740 to a friend and co-worker . He raced it  once in early winter 1968.  He raced it just as manufactured , complete with the high-performance flex tubing exhaust system , for which Skiroule was famous.  Shortly he received his draft notice . He joined the Navy and dad returned his money.  We got the 740 back. That started a trend that hasn't stopped.                                                                                                                                                              We had the Sachs cylinders bored .100 over, modified the engine and added chambers. Dad and I switched out driving , we did well locally  .  In Mod. V , I remember running against mostly 669 Doo's, 744 Pols and 634 Panthers. Luckily I don't recall any Honkers. The 69-70 race season rolled around .  Big surprise  :o , the 740 wasn't competitive anymore. Over the next 18 months we sold and then took on trade,  that sled over and over again. In early 72 the PTO end of the crank broke .  We got it on trade again.  I pulled the engine , put it under a bench and forgot about it.  The chassis gathered dust for another year.  Then two teenage brothers with a plan, bought the chassis . Coming in evenings and week-ends, with our dad's help  they dropped in a new CCW ( I think ). After refurbishment and repainting it a slightly different color , it was gone and soon forgotten . Fast forward 20 or so years , Derwood started asking and looking for the sled.  No luck , it had simply vanished .  Dad reassured us that was no biggy , he had stashed all the SX-740 specific chassis parts away. We rested easy. Why we never moved all those parts and the engine to one location , we don't know.  :o Fast forward to 2016 , Derwood and I finally decided to make the 740 sing again.  Well we started by cleaning , organizing and repairing the engine . I hadn't misplaced or ruined it , but not for some lack of trying. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.  Dad's gone now , so the two of us started looking for the parts. We searched everywhere twice or more.  Nothing other than the special front axle could be found.  What were we to do ?  Well without the patience and help of Dennis Sawyer of Chatham NY , Dan Nimsgern  and the Warning family , the way back engineering rebuild/rebirth of this sled would not be possible.  Thanks a lot guys     

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

zoom

• SnoPro
    Re: 1969 Skiroule SX-740 Adventure
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 04:08:12 am »
    After finding out who owned a SX-740 , I made several 450 mile trips to Chatham NY . Dennis Sawyer and his father allowed me to photograph his 740. I took along calipers, scale, angle gauge and note pad. I think I took near 100 pics .  After studying , and I mean studying the pics , we were able to start to see what Skiroule had done to build these sleds. I understand that 1969 sleds can't be compared to 2019 sleds and the production methods .  These old sleds were really pretty darn simple . That is not to say that the designers ,engineers and production workers weren't good at their trade. For the most part they took standard production sled parts and reworked them into something special . We tracked down the new owners of a 1969 SX-740 chassis , sold in upstate NY , just a couple of years ago. The Warning family was the new owner and Dan Nimsgern  was contacted.  He took pictures, measurements and answered lots of questions for us. Derwood visited the sled in person. We started our rebuild with motor mounts . I hadn't kept them, but knew ? they were safely tucked away.  ::) The Sachs 740 is sort of laying down and the mounting holes in the engine case are in really odd ( I think ) places . Some pics from Chatham and what we started out with. 

zoom

• SnoPro
    « Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 04:18:13 am »
    Milled up and after welding.

zoom

• SnoPro
    « Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 04:19:31 am »
    more

chris r

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 11:38:11 am »
    Cool to see something like this happening. Looking forward to more in the future.

8)
    If you can't look back on your younger self and realize you were an idiot, you're probably still an idiot.

markxx800

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Western NY
    « Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 01:27:17 pm »
    can't wait to see this sled in all it's glory.

Mark
    Give me Liberty or give me Death

zoom

• SnoPro
    « Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 05:13:02 pm »
     I'm doubting  "glory" will be suitable.  ;) 

derwood

• SnoPro
    « Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 05:16:16 pm »
    Yes, dad always said we had the stuff but for some reason we never gathered up all of the stuff and put it together. I guess we never figured we would get old to forget about where it was, what it looked like, or dad would get to the point where he couldn't get them or tell us where they were at. I had been looking for something that I had not idea what it was and Zoom thought they were different. One day many years ago, I decided to do some cleaning out of the barn where all barn hinges, handles, and misc steel was laying. Fast forward to a couple of years ago when Zoom sent me pics of the motor mounts and it flashed into my mind that I had seen them before next door. I beat feet up there to dig around looking. I then realized that I had thrown them away in thinking that they were old barn door handles. I can still remember picking them up and looking at them, thinking what kind of door would they have been on since they were angled and built pretty tough. I keep kicking myself about doing that.
    So, 3 lessons have been learned here. 1) mark everything 2) don't get old and 3) don't throw anything away.
    Derwood
    I want more than I need.

Everyone wants to change the world but no one wants to change themselves.

zoom

• SnoPro
    « Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 10:14:42 pm »
    These are better pics of the "hinges " Derwood thinks he tossed. LOL

zoom

• SnoPro
    « Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 10:30:53 pm »
    The crank originally had a thread on clutch.  It had broken off. I took the crank to work, put it in a lathe.  Faced off damaged area, drilled and taped for clutch bolt and machined a taper. We had a sleeve CNC 'd to get correct clutch offset ( as determined from Dennis Sawyer SX-740 ) . This slips over crank positioning clutch correctly. The crankcase mount holes were repaired using "time-serts" . These things are great.

zoom

• SnoPro
    « Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 10:32:02 pm »
    crank sleeve

zoom

• SnoPro
    « Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 10:33:21 pm »
    two of four "time-serts "

toocheaptosmoke

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Keepin' it old school
    « Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 02:06:58 am »
    Yes, dad always said we had the stuff but for some reason we never gathered up all of the stuff and put it together. I guess we never figured we would get old to forget about where it was, what it looked like, or dad would get to the point where he couldn't get them or tell us where they were at. I had been looking for something that I had not idea what it was and Zoom thought they were different. One day many years ago, I decided to do some cleaning out of the barn where all barn hinges, handles, and misc steel was laying. Fast forward to a couple of years ago when Zoom sent me pics of the motor mounts and it flashed into my mind that I had seen them before next door. I beat feet up there to dig around looking. I then realized that I had thrown them away in thinking that they were old barn door handles. I can still remember picking them up and looking at them, thinking what kind of door would they have been on since they were angled and built pretty tough. I keep kicking myself about doing that.
    So, 3 lessons have been learned here. 1) mark everything 2) don't get old and 3) don't throw anything away.
    Derwood

Excellent advice!

The crank sleeve adapter is a neat repair and upgrade.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/toocheaptosmoke

If you don't have too many projects, you don't have enough!

- Barn Fresh Racing -

chris r

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 11:32:55 am »
    Cool fix on the crank shaft. But I'm wondering how you held it in order to work on one end.

I also like the iron threaded inserts. I used to use them on a lot of aluminum details on the job.

:)
    If you can't look back on your younger self and realize you were an idiot, you're probably still an idiot.

zoom

• SnoPro
    « Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 02:53:53 pm »
    First of all I turned a piece of scrap material to the size of PTO bearing OD .  Used this to set-up steady rest .  In Clausing lathe , I  held Mag. end in three-jaw chuck and the bearing on PTO end I sat in the steady rest .  Held the bearing tight , instead of letting it rotate in steady rest. The crank then turned in the bearing as if it were in the engine.  Hung up some card board to deflect any chips and went at it. LOL   Should have taken some pics of that ,  "Rube Goldberg "  set-up.  LOL