Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: THE PASSING OF PHIL BECKER,,FRIEND AND MODERATOR...........................  (Read 16145 times)

yamakid

• SnoPro
Re: THE PASSING OF PHIL BECKER,,FRIEND AND MODERATOR...........................
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 01:32:49 pm »
Wow this is some tough news to read. Phil was a great man! His personality was definitely one of a kind, he would always go out of his way at St. Germain to come over and say hi to me. We stayed in touch throughout the year and he always loved hearing about my flat track stories as much as I loved hearing about the new and exciting adventures on Beaver Island. He will be missed that's for darn sure. God Speed my friend!
The Tyrant Timmy Walz can ETADIK

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

derwood

• SnoPro
    « Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 02:16:40 pm »
    Dang! Just met him the first time at A-1 this year after conversing through vintagesleds all these years. A very great guy to talk to, either in person or via this site.
    Ride on friend!!
    Derwood
    I want more than I need.

Everyone wants to change the world but no one wants to change themselves.

chris r

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 02:31:06 pm »
    Ok so a bit of info on Zuk, based on things he's told me.

He used to work on the freighters when he was young, was a professional photographer for 15-20 years and grew up in Kalamazoo, MI.

On the island, he wore many hats (his words  :).) He worked as a carpenter, painter, lumber yard, and he also was a sort of caretaker for many who went off island for the winter months. He would check on their homes though out the months that they were gone to make sure everything was safe and secure.

Phil also did a radio show on the Voice of Beaver Island. I never tuned into it, but I'll always wish it did. Phil also spent time at the islands play house where he was a actor in many different plays there. He also was the person who delivered the Meals on Wheels to those who weren't able to take care of themselves.

Obviously there is more to Phil than what I learned over the last 10 years or so, but what I know for sure is that Zuk was a people person. He liked people and people liked him.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:57:43 pm by chris r »
    Find good people, treat them right, pay them well, and get outta the way.

kawiherder

• Super-Mod
    « Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 03:00:22 pm »
    Wendy and I went to Beaver Island in August of 2014. We went to get our ferry tickets on Wednesday thinking we could visit Phil for a day and move on. Turned out the next chance to get off the island was Sunday so we were trapped on the island for 4 days. Phil met us as we got off the boat, showed us around and made sure we had everything we needed including a tour of his sleds. It was a great  vacation. We got off the boat late Sunday morning and drove until we got home at 3:00am so Wendy could be at school by 7:00am to start the first day of school. We consider Phil a good friend and will miss him.  We still do Beaver Island Thursday buy grilling and having a camping style meal.  This Thursday will be in memory of our friend Zuk.
    aka  interceptor 398

TZR

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #19 on: December 17, 2018, 03:36:54 pm »
    Noooooo !

Not Phil !   :'(

Godspeed Zuk.

Just a few days short of the 3 year passing of CP.

This will allways be a truely sad week for the vintage sled world............

Rideing Onward..........as the World Spirals Downward

mr bolens

• SnoPro
    « Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 03:59:04 pm »
    RIP ZUK

thefoolsbro

• SnoPro
    • Hale, MI
      • Hale Area Trailblazers
    « Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 04:01:51 pm »
    RIP Phil (zuknomad). I also met him through our small world of vintage sleds and as mentioned, he was everybodys
    friend. from A1, to the jackpine ride and all points between I would run into him. most memorable was Rogers City
    2017. my brother and I spent a lot of time shooting the bull with him and also sat down to dinner with him.
    I even sent him a 32oz Suzuki beer mug that I was given years ago just because of his love for Suzukis.
    1970 moto-ski 375 (372 jlo) most original vintage winner 1st  Hale show
    1971 chap firebird with an executive hood
    1974 El Tigre 340
    1974 polaris colt 175

1974 chap. ssx 340

jr37

• SnoPro
    « Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 04:07:33 pm »
    God bless you Zuk! Although I never met him, I thoroughly enjoyed his posts and was a little jealous of his lifestyle. Sure appeared to be living the good life. He surely will be missed.

71TXman

• Global Moderator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 04:19:56 pm »
    Brings tears to my eyes to read this. I never did get to meet Zuk, but we always communicated through here, he always had good words to say, and great stories to share. I always looked forward to reading his posts as he had such great stories, and was a good hearted man! RIP my friend, you will be missed very much.

Prayers to his family, and his friends in this difficult time.

penguin

• SnoPro
    « Reply #24 on: December 17, 2018, 04:52:34 pm »
    This is truly sad news. Phil was a great guy as we all know. He had a quick wit and a smile to go with it. I never heard him speak ill of anyone. I met him at A1 too-He gave me the push I needed many years ago to break out with my seats when he asked me to make one for him. I felt honored to be able to do it for him, and to have him like it so well. We traded parts and conversations over the years-he was a world of knowledge, and he knew those Suzuki sleds like no one else. I had just found 2 carb covers, and sent one out to him-boy was he happy to get it-would have thought he hit the lottery! He was my go to guy for anything to do with them. There is a lump in my throat, and many more tears yet to come. Rest easy, Phil, thank you for being you.

danno297

• SnoPro
    « Reply #25 on: December 17, 2018, 06:31:19 pm »
    Really sad news.  Still doesn't seem real.  I met Phil at A-1 a couple of years ago.  It was like you were old friends even if you just met.  I saw him again at this years A-1 show and had a real nice visit with him.   I'll cherish that moment.   He will be greatly missed.  RIP Phil.
    PETT Member 102

mikem4

• SnoPro
    « Reply #26 on: December 17, 2018, 06:38:46 pm »
    Sad news. I know he had a heart scare a while back but I thought he had it beat. RIP

69MarkIII

• SnoPro
    « Reply #27 on: December 17, 2018, 06:59:14 pm »
    Unfortunately I never had the honor of knowing him, but I sure enjoyed reading his posts. He seemed like a great guy.
    1958 Beeline Sapphire 16' speed boat.
    1968 Scorpion Mark III.
    1969 Skiroule S-370.
    1969 Scorpion Mark IV 400.
    1969 Boa-Ski Mark I 300.
    1970 Boa-Ski Mark I 246.
    1971 Ski-Doo Elan.

polaris-case

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #28 on: December 17, 2018, 08:19:57 pm »
    W O W    Iím in shock yet even after reading this thread 😢  like everyone on here everyone he had a special spot in his and ours hearts. Zuk  I will never forget our friendship on the internet but I wish I could have meet you in person thou !!  You will be missed by everyone as you had one of the biggest hearts I could have been lucky to have been a part of.
    RIP my friend and ride on the fluffy clouds and keep them up to date on the radio show !!  Dale

buschdog123

• SnoPro
    • Ski Daddler
    « Reply #29 on: December 17, 2018, 08:36:30 pm »
    So Sad, just saw him a month or so ago. Reading his post on here of the events he wanted to attend.....Hope he is there in spirit with us all. What a nice person and sadly missed...RIP Zuk!!!
    66 Power Sled/Cutter, 1967 Sno Scout
    68/69 Wide Track 22(longtrack 20" ext)
    69 Super Scout & Super Twin 634
    69.5  Mark 23
    70&71  Ski Daddler Mark V
    72 XX-1300, 1971 XX-1400, XX-1650, MarkIV399,   72 Boa Ski, 73 Raider
    ,Rupp 29, 70 AMF Cutter,  73 Chaparrel 440
    Wife's 73-Puma/80 Yamaha 250 Enticer,