Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1965 Evinrude Skeeter  (Read 2529 times)

Stepney

• SnoPro
1965 Evinrude Skeeter
« on: January 18, 2017, 03:34:43 am »
Hello, all. For years I have wanted an OMC sled and they never cross my path.. had a talk with a fellow sled nut this afternoon, and he told me "Your looking too hard.. don't look and they'll show." Well.. tonight I made a deal to swap my 66 MotoSki and my 73 Oly on a pair of beautiful OMC's, a 68 Evrinrude Widetrack, and a Johnson of some sort.. then I get another email from a teacher.. a 1965 Skeeter.. mine if I want it! How rare are these? I cant seem to find much about it. What's up with the 'suspension'? I see it doesn't even have springs..?
"Rock and Roll is here to stay,
It will never die!"

1965 SkiDoo Chalet
1968 SkiDoo Super-Olympic-e
1970 SkiDoo Olympic 335 "Snoopy"
1970 Arctic Cat Panther P246
1971 Arctic Cat Panther 399.

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

rustyplymouth

• SnoPro
    Re: 1965 Evinrude Skeeter
    « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 04:00:45 am »
    I was told there where about 800 of the 65 Evinrude made. 65 is the first year production. The rubber suspension mounts can be replaced with McMaster Carr mounts. They are pretty collectable with the OMC guys.
    61 Polaris Ranger K-95
    65 Evinrude Skeeter
    65 Johnson Skee-horse
    65 Snow Cruiser
    66 Snow Cruiser
    66 Arctic Cat 460-D
    67 Snow Cruiser
    68 Polaris Super Voyager
    70 Evinrude Skeeter
    71 Snow Cruiser 36hp
    71 Johnson Rampage

399jlo

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 10:30:00 am »
    I thought that in 65 you could get the optional CDI ignition also. That would make it more rare.
    PETT member #60

Stepney

• SnoPro
    « Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 02:37:54 pm »
    I didn't know you could get CDI then? I never saw it in the ads? The track drivers on these, I looked at a cleated 69 Johnson once and saw they were rubberised. Are there any replacements out there for them should something go wrong? Hoping to get it on Sunday.
    It will never die!"

1965 SkiDoo Chalet

Jesse

• SnoPro
    • Southwest Montana
    « Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 03:19:06 pm »
    If you want I can get you in touch with my dad, he replaced all of the little track snubbers with McMaster Carr pieces. I believe we just had to put on some extra washers as the originals had square shafts to keep them indexed.

It's actually pretty amazing when you look at a '65 OMC machine. They had quite an advanced design if you look at other manufacturers. '65 Arctic cats half of them were still steel cabs with chain tracks. Ski doos were quick but pretty tiny and not very heavy duty. Polaris was starting to make a more nimble machine at the time. The OMCs had a nice robust engine, disc brake, large separate fuel tank, primer, very nice fiberglass work, etc.

If the guy has the original skis, even if they are worn out, that would be a real plus. They didn't have replaceable wear bars at first so they would probably have to be repaired.
    1968 Ski-Doo Olympique
    1968 Ski-Doo Olympique Plaisted Replica
    1975 Ski-Doo Elan
    1973 Arctic Cat Panther

Projects: 1966 Sears by Scorpion
    1969 Luger

PolCat

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Old ain't so Bad De Pere, Wi PETT #27
    « Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 01:45:17 am »
    They made that model until the 68 year and then they did a step back if you ask me. The
    good lines of the 65-66-67 OMC gave way to square pug  nosed behemoths. I have a 66
    and a 69 if it wasn't for the reverse on the 69 it wouldn't go anywheres. I put on the McMaster Carr
    rubber mounts also.  https://vintagesleds.com/bs/index.php/topic,55739.30.html
    Cheap is the way to go, the less you have in them, the more you can have! 

VS BS Members Map

Stepney

• SnoPro
    « Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 10:02:09 pm »
    Honestly, I prefer the 68 style.. no idea why haha. Guy doesn't have the skis anymore, it's been sitting about 3 years and he says it ran, but after sitting it has locked up.. kinda skeptical honestly but regardless, it's a 65 Evinrude in decent shape, so I'm not too worried.
    It will never die!"

1965 SkiDoo Chalet

399jlo

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 11:08:21 am »
    Oil it down through the spark plug holes- it's a cast bore, not plated so you should be able to get it freed up.
    PETT member #60

Sledded

• SnoPro
    « Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 01:55:15 pm »
    Another bit of trivia that I heard about the 65 is that the first models had a 16 inch track and no rear suspension swing arm. It rode so hard that they had an update to a different narrower 15 1/2 inch track to clear the update of the added swing arms.
    I Ain't Never Had Too Much Fun. Commander Cody

Stepney

• SnoPro
    « Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 11:27:40 pm »
    Well I picked it up today.. and got some surprises! It has rear suspension.. thank goodness. I got a box full of NOS suspension mounts, another box full of McMaster Carr mounts, the original title, registration, manual, parts book, and a copy of a 1966 SnowCruiser book. I have found some worse news though.. For one it has been on fire a time or two, the seat is scorched at the front, some of the wiring has noticeable burns. Guy went on to say "It ran on spray 3 years ago, it's stuck from sitting." Well.. I left the block and jugs full of oil all day.. and myself and another guy were pretty much hanging off a bar through the starter clutch.. I don't think it's coming loose... So that honestly concerns me. I have a 1968 362 engine that while it certainly needs work, does move at the crank. Could that fit? I imagine they are the same. If it weren't for the fact this is a '65 I'd honestly consider doing an involute drive swap. As it is the drivers on it aren't in the greatest shape.
    It will never die!"

1965 SkiDoo Chalet

dirtman

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • nort west mini-sota ya betcha
    « Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 01:33:04 am »
    Have some patience grasshopper.....   ::) 2 guys reefing on a bar--probly not the best thing to do!   :-[

dirtman
    a bunch of Polaris's   PETT # 85

65Traveler

• SnoPro
    « Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 04:51:34 am »
    Well I picked it up today.. and got some surprises! It has rear suspension.. thank goodness. I got a box full of NOS suspension mounts, another box full of McMaster Carr mounts, the original title, registration, manual, parts book, and a copy of a 1966 SnowCruiser book. I have found some worse news though.. For one it has been on fire a time or two, the seat is scorched at the front, some of the wiring has noticeable burns. Guy went on to say "It ran on spray 3 years ago, it's stuck from sitting." Well.. I left the block and jugs full of oil all day.. and myself and another guy were pretty much hanging off a bar through the starter clutch.. I don't think it's coming loose... So that honestly concerns me. I have a 1968 362 engine that while it certainly needs work, does move at the crank. Could that fit? I imagine they are the same. If it weren't for the fact this is a '65 I'd honestly consider doing an involute drive swap. As it is the drivers on it aren't in the greatest shape.

Awesome sled btw!  My $.02, if you put a 68 motor in, what's the difference putting in a solid newer suspension and drivers?  I myself have run into similar scenarios about how original to keep something.  Just keep all the original parts and make that baby a rider!  I had a 65 Johnson years ago, I could have ran faster than that thing!  Keep us posted!  Oh, and beer makes things come loose!

rustyplymouth

• SnoPro
    « Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 03:10:28 pm »
    No problem putting the 68 motor in. Iíd recommend using all the shrouds, magneto and carb off the 65. Once you swap those no one will know the difference. And youíll get rid of the timing advance linkage that can be troublesome on the 68ís. Carb is easier to find rebuild kits for on the 65. Itís a Carter model N which kits are on ebay. If you want to ride it I see no problem with swapping in a rubber track out of a bobcat or something. You can gear it up a bit after you remove that heavy cleated one. I did the bobcat track swap in my 66 Snow cruiser. Makes it fun to go on longer rides. I can reach 40 mph on hard pack or road and on normal trail conditions mid 30s mph is no problem. Get a lot of looks booming down the trail on the old sled.

Here is a picture of a bobcat track in a 65 skeeter. Fits really well in the 65 tunnel. This was at the mockup stage.

I ended up putting the bobcat track in my snow cruiser instead after that since that one was already running. Casual lookers donít even know the tracks been swapped. At shows I usually get a few questions when they look closer. I like it.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:47:55 pm by rustyplymouth »
    61 Polaris Ranger K-95
    65 Evinrude Skeeter
    65 Johnson Skee-horse
    65 Snow Cruiser
    66 Snow Cruiser
    66 Arctic Cat 460-D
    67 Snow Cruiser
    68 Polaris Super Voyager
    70 Evinrude Skeeter
    71 Snow Cruiser 36hp
    71 Johnson Rampage