Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Just wanna race  (Read 1159 times)

renkenator

• Modified
Just wanna race
« on: January 10, 2021, 04:33:29 pm »
Hello, I am interested in getting into racing, nothing serious, I just enjoy vintage sleds and working on them and I thought what the heck, maybe I'll try racing. Iam 57 years old and have been riding for probably 45 years or so. I just don't know what class would be best to start in. I like the Merc trail twisters or Deere trail fires so Iam thinking 340 or 440 F/C?  Your thoughts. Thanks for this site.

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

corey237

• SnoPro
    Re: Just wanna race
    « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 07:39:29 pm »
    The fan cooled 440 would be a good choice probably. You could run several SS classes with one sled.
    "The most fundamental fact about the ideas of the political left is that they do not work. Therefore we should not be surprised to find the left concentrated in institutions where ideas do not have to work in order to survive"

-Thomas Sowell

renkenator

• Modified
    « Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 01:40:15 am »
    Yes it looks like there is a lot of sleds to pick from in that class. Do you know of a site where guys buy and sell race parts and sleds?  I see them on here once and awhile so I will keep looking for a project. Thanks

Brettm57

• SnoPro
    • You can't have too many toys....
    « Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 10:58:55 am »
    Before you buy anything, check around your area with the places you plan on racing, find out what their classes are, and pick one that has a regular turnout for it.  Just because they have a class listed doesn't mean they run it all the time.  If no one shows up for for a certain class, they don't run it.  It gets boring pretty quick when you're the only sled in your class.
    1971 634 Puma, 1972 340/440 Puma, 1977 Pantera, 1983 EL-JAGRE, 1980 Jag w/295 Wankel power, 1995 Polaris XCR 600, 1967 Rupp A-Bone/MC90, 1984 MXK Mirage/Briggs Flathead-alky fueled

renkenator

• Modified
    « Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 05:41:11 pm »
    Yes, That is a good idea. I know a guy from my are that races a Sno-Twister in the Senior 340F/A class. Might have to tag around with him for a few races. He was at Eagle River this weekend.

SRX SnoPro

• SnoPro
    • Western WI
    « Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 03:52:42 am »
    That 440 FC cooled class is hotly contested and not really a beginner class any longer in my opinion.  FC sleds have won the FA class at ER more than once, and have given the LQ sleds all they can handle.   The final from ER was just posted on this site.   I would recommend watching it to get a feel for if that's how fast your interested in running.  It's also a great race!   Those sleds are considerably faster than the 340 FA class sleds your friend is running these days.

Good Luck!