Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lets see some Winnipeg-St. Paul I-500 Machines!!  (Read 478855 times)

JRC ETD

• SnoPro
Re: Lets see some Winnipeg-St. Paul I-500 Machines!!
« Reply #705 on: March 02, 2014, 01:39:39 pm »
Yup....15 feet hanging in a pine tree, missed a turn, launched off a snow bank and landed in the tree. It was the Heartland Grand Prix at Park Rapids in 1977. If you look through the Race annd Rally's there is a picture CJ took of it. Believe Jim was a pilot so he took a lot of grief over this landing. JRC

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

ruppaddiction

• Modified
    « Reply #706 on: March 03, 2014, 11:37:48 pm »
    Hi guys pretty new to the bullsession just posted my 71 arctic cat  I 500 sled on the classifieds but there is alot more pictures of it under the 71 ext panther just a little below this .................Gary
    73 Rupp Magnum 75 Rupp f/a 440  71 EXT Special 292

racinfarmer

• SnoPro
    • That guy
    « Reply #707 on: March 04, 2014, 12:26:43 am »
    Yup....15 feet hanging in a pine tree, missed a turn, launched off a snow bank and landed in the tree. It was the Heartland Grand Prix at Park Rapids in 1977. If you look through the Race annd Rally's there is a picture CJ took of it. Believe Jim was a pilot so he took a lot of grief over this landing. JRC

Glad I'm not the only one who has had to retrieve their sled from the branches on a tree in the Park Rapids area.

basicbajax

• Powder-Puff
    « Reply #708 on: March 10, 2014, 04:35:47 pm »
    Man I am glad I found this thread. It has been some great reading.

Horicon Joe

• SnoPro
    « Reply #709 on: April 02, 2014, 11:06:51 pm »
    Can we have too many Liquidators? .......  I think NOT

1976 JOHN DEERE LIQUIDATOR SNOWMOBILE WITH 572 ORIGINAL MILES       (UNRESTORED)
    NUMBER 586 OF 600 TOTAL PRODUCED 

This Liquidator was originally purchased by Max Lobekey (Deceased) of Carlyle, MT for the 1976 I500 Winnipeg to St. Paul Cross-Country Race.

Bill Aaby of Billings, MT was brought on as his mechanic.  Bill completed factory updates, and the installation of handlebar heaters, juice brake, Liquifire track, rear fuel tank, and carbide ski wear rods.  He rebuilt the engine with rebuilt pistons from Deere, reweighted the primary clutch, and rejetted the carbs.

Max finished the first stage of the race in Alexandria safely, but was disqualified for being 15 minutes late at check-in.  This was due to a broken starter rope that he had to fix at a fuel stop.  The following morning, upon inspection, it was found to only have one bogie wheel missing; otherwise the sled was in good shape.

Bill purchased the sled in 1980, lightly rode it and owned it until it was sold to Joe Wanie in February 2010.  Thank you, Cliff Allen, for locating the snowmobile, and connecting Bill and Joe, so this piece of John Deere Snowmobile history can continue to be shared.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 12:51:11 pm by Horicon Joe »
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Joe Wanie
    Rolling Prairie WI

neverenoughtxs

• SnoPro
    « Reply #710 on: April 03, 2014, 12:20:11 am »
    Very nice sleds! Love the original race history

neverenoughtxs

DinosaurDan

• SnoPro
    • Proud Enduro Team Jekyll member
    « Reply #711 on: April 03, 2014, 02:07:38 pm »
    Nice save, Joe, it is good to see that piece of history is in good hands!
    « Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:08:17 pm by DinosaurDan »
    My Collection...
    1978 Polaris TX-L
    1979 Polaris TX-L
    1977 Polaris TX-L "Winnipeg Replica" Custom
    2009 Polaris Retro Shift 136 Custom
    1982 Polaris Cutlass SS

StUdEnTdRiVeR

• SnoPro
    « Reply #712 on: April 03, 2014, 05:46:57 pm »
    Jesse must be foaming at the mouth seeing a Deere with race history!
    Lots of piles of parts, and very few complete sleds!

WishIhadachapracer

• SnoPro
    « Reply #713 on: April 04, 2014, 10:32:02 pm »
    Came across a 75 Polaris Winnipeg sled.  Cross country seat, two tanks, reinforced ski's, strange suspension, triple chain and gears. No numbers on hood anymore.  Supposedly previously owned by a Klema from Roseau.   Don't know race history of it.  I looked on Winnipeg to St. Paul website to find drivers list and didn't find his name but there are a block of numbers and drivers missing in the list  and also a picture of a Polaris with a number in between those missing numbers on the list.

Would anyone have a complete drivers list from 75?  Does anyone know any Klema's that either raced or maybe sponsored or owned the sled with there being a different driver?  Also is there a list of serial numbers of the sleds driven documented?

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:36:21 pm by WishIhadachapracer »

72t-jet

• SnoPro
    « Reply #714 on: April 06, 2014, 07:59:52 pm »
    Nice sled  Horicon Joe.

Horicon Joe

• SnoPro
    « Reply #715 on: April 07, 2014, 02:31:07 pm »
    Thanks guys ....  I consider myself very fortunate to have this sled.  Any complete original Dator would be cool to own and having the entire history to go with it is the icing on the cake!   The cool thing about this, Cliff told me the story about the sled that the starter rope knot failed at a fuel stop and he was there to help him get it going.  He told me the story about 6 years before I got the sled!

Joe
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Joe Wanie
    Rolling Prairie WI

FreeAirHead

• SnoPro
    « Reply #716 on: April 08, 2014, 12:22:02 am »
    Thanks guys ....  I consider myself very fortunate to have this sled.  Any complete original Dator would be cool to own and having the entire history to go with it is the icing on the cake!   The cool thing about this, Cliff told me the story about the sled that the starter rope knot failed at a fuel stop and he was there to help him get it going.  He told me the story about 6 years before I got the sled!

Joe

Your Liquidator is pretty cool! Very....Very Nice!!

FreeAirHead

• SnoPro
    « Reply #717 on: April 25, 2014, 12:42:11 am »

Wow, I do wonder how a Speedway would do in the I-500

WinnipegStPaul9

• SnoPro
    « Reply #718 on: April 25, 2014, 12:40:33 pm »

Wow, I do wonder how a Speedway would do in the I-500

I guess it's safe to tell you that it didn't win........

DA
    The Snowmobile Hall of Fame in St. Germain, will gladly accept your donated snowmobiles. All makes, models, years. We do prefer that they are complete. Thank you!!

WinnipegStPaul9

• SnoPro
    « Reply #719 on: August 10, 2014, 11:00:09 pm »
    For all you Cross Country fans, yesterday the Snowmobile Hall of Fame changed the display and are now honoring several winners of the Winnipeg-St. Paul I-500 and subsequent I-500 races, ie Jeep etc.

Hope everyone visiting the northwoods of Wisconsin will stop by and see this amazing collection of past I500 sleds!

DA
    The Snowmobile Hall of Fame in St. Germain, will gladly accept your donated snowmobiles. All makes, models, years. We do prefer that they are complete. Thank you!!