Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Politics and Religion on the Bullsessions  (Read 9356 times)

Docjim

• Good luck racers! Play it safe.
  • Administrator
  • BS Hall Of Fame Member
  • Fuji baby!!
    • DocJim's project Album
Politics and Religion on the Bullsessions
« on: December 06, 2008, 06:25:21 pm »
This has been an increasing problem here and it is time to do something about it.    No matter what side of the fence you are on you are going to upset 50% of the other members.   That is not the goal here and it has become apparent that is what is happening.    So here on out we will delete any political or religous threads.   Sorry if that upsets anyone but it I feel it is necessary to keep us united.

I will allow posts that refer to any snowmobiling legislature.  I think this is good for us to get involved in.   But bashing any party in the post will get deleted.   Docjim
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:01:51 am by swede »
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

doolariswhiz

• Global Moderator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Mahna Mahna
    Re: Politics and Religion on Sledtalk 24/7
    « Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 12:48:27 am »

;D
    Of all my injuries, I love the motocross ones the best!

Have you hugged your tillotson lately?

cory464

• SnoPro
    • Its fun to be me
    « Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 06:58:50 pm »
    if i worship at the altar of polaris is that unnacceptable?  Thumbs/
    1983 Yamaha srv
    1976 Polaris tx340
    1978 arctic cat kitty kat
    1977 john deere cyclone

cory464

• SnoPro
    • Its fun to be me
    « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 07:00:27 pm »
    seriously though, good call. thanks for a great website.  'sleddin
    1983 Yamaha srv
    1976 Polaris tx340
    1978 arctic cat kitty kat
    1977 john deere cyclone

crazysledder

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 09:37:21 pm »
    Guess we can't talk snowmobiling then eh?
    LMAO
     :rolling 'sleddin :flag

GreenMtnMan

• SnoPro
    Re: Politics and Religion on the Bullsessions
    « Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 08:53:00 pm »
     I made a post in a political thread before I realized it was prohibited. I apologize and will refrain from doing so further. I really appreciate the site.

sledcrazyinCT

• SnoPro
    « Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 03:28:29 am »
    First time in a couple months that I have even read through the classifieds since the new rules about only certain years allowed and mandatory prices listed in every ad.  Those changes seem to have taken hold in the community. I only noticed one ad in the twenty pages without a price.  Ironically it was for a part that I would have considered buying had the price been posted.

So while the classifieds have become more vintage snowmobile specific I found one change on this site that I wish would go away, but economics and overhead to operate this site makes me doubtful that political ads will disappear until after the November election. 

Ironically no discussion about the candidates is allowed anywhere, even in the pure BS threads,yet the site owners allow the candidates to pay a fee to broadcast their message to an audience that is forbidden to talk about them and their plans for Americans?  For me I find it strange members here can't speak about politicians yet I am seeing HRC asking me to join her team at the top and bottom of every page :o  Hope this doesn't end up getting worse with increasing number of political ads popping up considering months ahead of us before the election.

A suggestion was made previously to create a new section where anything goes.  A forum you enter at your own risk, where politics/current events could be discussed. So to the powers that be please consider such an addition to this forum, otherwise seriously consider dropping paid political content entirely on all sections of this website. 

Having an invitation from the first female POTUS hopeful popping up every page on a strictly vintage snowmobile site sends a mixed message to website visitors - let alone potential advertisers that cater to old iron. Considering this website is about vintage sleds ONLY, and members are repeatedly warned no political discussion whatsoever seems hypocritical that we have exposure to political ads from any candidate?

I said the above comments with great respect for my continued use of this free site. I will continue to honor the current policies listed in the rules section and not engage in topics that are prohibited.  Thank you for your consideration  JOL

JLOpower

• Official Curmudgeon
    • Global Moderator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Fresh Snow makes me Whiz
      • Ski Whiz Rescue Mission
    « Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 01:09:48 pm »
    The political ad situation is multilevel. The website owners make banner ad space available to advertisers like Google and Taboola to offset the cost of the website. The owners can set certain guidelines for what kind of ads they think complement the website and it's users. They have asked that political ads not display. I know they have asked to have some removed in the past.

But ultimately, the advertisers load the ads from their servers, not VerticalScope's. So the ads run automatically and separately from this website itself. So if a political ad gets in the ad rotation, someone from VS has to contact the advertiser and ask for a review of the ad. Of course, with 200 websites, you can imagine it isn't very hard for some ads to slip through.

Second point: Google and the other advertisers use software that uses your browsing history to tailor ads to you. SO.... you get ads that may be different from everyone else.

Lastly, VerticalScope has made it so that if you sign in to the forum, you don't see those banner ads. This costs them ad revenue but makes the website friendlier to use.   
    « Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 01:13:10 pm by JLOpower »
    Do Not believe everything you think.

JLOpower

• Official Curmudgeon
    • Global Moderator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Fresh Snow makes me Whiz
      • Ski Whiz Rescue Mission
    « Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 01:11:52 pm »
    I will bring this thread to the attention of VS and see if the political ads can be trimmed.
    Do Not believe everything you think.

PhilipB

• Administrator
    • SnoPro
    « Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 06:28:14 pm »
    Hey guys,

I can send a request to have the adds removed.
    Can you guys provide me images, and the URL to the ads?
    Once I have that information, I get send the ticket in.

Thank you,

Richard.

sledcrazyinCT

• SnoPro
    « Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 02:46:26 pm »
    If these pop up again I will be sure to take screen shots.

PhilipB

• Administrator
    • SnoPro
    « Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 03:55:16 pm »
    Hi guys,

The problem with the political ads that you are seeing is that these ad spots are placements for Google ads, and unfortunately, Google tracks you search history. If you happen to search up anything politics related, it will automatically assume that you are interested in other related topics. Either way, when you do see that again, grab the screenshot, URL, and let us know what section of the site you noticed this on and, like Richard mention, we'll check to see if we can block this.

~Sheena