Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $20 1975 Skidoo 340 TNT F/A  (Read 7290 times)

s10 warrior

• Modified
$20 1975 Skidoo 340 TNT F/A
« on: November 28, 2014, 07:56:03 pm »
I'm new to the forum, got my first snowmobile!
I basically bought this for $20

I believe it's a 1975 Skidoo 340.  The engine is a 2 cylinder rotax.
it obviously does not run. Everything was sezied.i got it to steer, got the brake freed up and the throttle to work.

I know it is missing the spark plug coil and wires. It is missing the windshield and air cleaner as well.

I have been trying to find a coil , on ebay all I can find is external coils and internal stator .
I cannot find spark plug wires anywhere .

I was told it ran 20 years ago, I assume it lost spark because I found 5 spark plugs in the belly . It then sat in a fallen down barn till I got it.

my plans are to find a rebuild kit for the carbs , find a new coil and spark plug wires , get new plugs and fuel line. See if I can get it to run for now.
I actually won't tear in to it until I have ALL the parts I need , I have 3 projects torn apart right now in various stages , I don't want to have the snowmobile torn apart and "forgotten" .

I will get some pictures uploaded here shortly!

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

t-jet-nut

• SnoPro
    Re: $20 1975 Skidoo 340 TNT F/A
    « Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 01:35:44 am »

Welcome to the addiction and the "headaches" !

t-jet-nut
    I'm growing old but,
    I'm not going to grow up

s10 warrior

• Modified
    « Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 09:48:46 pm »

new222

• SnoPro
    « Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 05:00:40 am »
    $20 well spent.

s10 warrior

• Modified
    « Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 06:36:36 am »
    $20 well spent.

Thanks ! I actually bought 2 simplicity 2 stroke snow blowers for $20 ( projects , take 2 and make 1 good one ) .

I had a 99 dodge Durango that had engine / trans problems , was worth fixing , so I traded it for a 93 Polaris 400 4wd quad . I heard the Skidoo was going to scrap , so I offered the snowblowers for trade.

s10 warrior

• Modified
    « Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 04:46:28 am »
    Well, with the replies to my other thread , I have came up with a plan.

Purchase 2 new coils off ebay , ship them and have a CDI box made  , unless I can find a good used functioning unit.

Do a compression test on both cylinders. Rebuild if necessary.

Replace crank shaft seals, head gaskets and exhaust gaskets.

I would like to remove the wiring harness , clean it all up and make sure all contact points are clean.

I was told that my sled is a " high miles" sled, it has 1998 miles on it.

List of parts that I would like to get :
    New hood (mine is missing a chunk)
    New air cleaner assembly ( mine looks brittle)
    Windshield  (don't have one )
    Seat ( mine is horrible )
    Ignition switch ( mine feels "gritty" when you use key)

If anyone has parts that I need / can use , or know of anyone , please shoot me a pm!

I have a interest in 4x4 trucks , older lawn tractors , quads , old rc cars , I feel that this sled is start of a new hobby . I want to do everything correctly and take no short cuts. I am 25 , back when I was 18 -20 , in the Army with money to spend , I'd have a vehicle torn apart , no parts on hand , ask for help / opinions then go off and do what I thought was correct , screw something up and then come back asking for help again!  I know this sled will be a long term project and cost some $ , but I know I'll enjoy every bit of it !

Thanks for the information and tips on my other thread. I'll update this as I make progress ( more like as the Wallet allows !)

yeah i like rvs

• SnoPro
    « Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 12:54:49 am »
    www.skidoobob.com has new keyswitches for not very expensive. the hewtech is a great cdi and will be worry free for you for years to come. good luck and welcome to the addiction. and if you buy more stick with doo :)

s10 warrior

• Modified
    « Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 11:27:39 pm »
    Well , this project is on hold for a while, haven't really done anything yet anyway !  I do plan on buying a engine gasket & seal set , possibly new pistons and rings within the next month.

My daily driver truck engine up slinging a rod, so that's my main project now.

I have a 1993 Polaris 350 4x4 quad , that someone upgraded the motor to a 400 . It is a project as well , antifreeze in the oil and blown crank seal. I had a guy offer me a John deere trailfire 440 as a trade for it. I don't know the condition , but if it's all there I may go ahead and trade up.

Good thing I have a huge garage.  2nd sled in 2 or 3 weeks .....