Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pair of 73 Triples  (Read 64663 times)

Philh

• SnoPro
Pair of 73 Triples
« on: May 05, 2014, 03:48:11 am »
I've had these two 73 Starfire projects for a couple years now, but just got motivated to get them going.  One is a 650 and the other a 440.

Still looking for some parts, but have hit both chassis hard for the past two weeks and got a lot done.  Helps to have done a couple 73's before. (my completed 295 and 650 have both found new homes in the midwest)

I need 440 pipes.....anyone have a spare set?  Two of the pipes are the same as 295/340.

A LOT of work went into getting them this far......but I don't have many pics to show it.  (paint stripping, hole filling, tunnel mounting, etc, etc, etc)  I put a new BouleyBuilt tunnel on the 440.  West Coast Vint Sleds bars and post, thanks Mike!

Original 650 chassis from Hegwood/Haug in Minn.  It needed a bit love.  Pepsled performed feats of aluminum magic.  Looks fantastic now and will have almost no body filler.

Fitting motor plates and trying out the beautiful seats by Conrad.  An original style for the 650 and an Eastman style for the 440.  Can also see one of my completed (but unpainted) dual outlet 73 tanks that are correct for triples.

Trial fitting the newly reproduced (Neverenoughtxs) pan onto the 440.  Fits great!  It will be painted the correct blue soon.

Fitting the clutch gaurd.

Fitting the chaincase on the 440.

Rails mounted on the Neverenoughtxs hood.  HOURS of work, but worth it, it fits the pan great.

650 motor is completely restored.  Assembled by Pepsled, thanks bud!  It has been waiting for me to get the rest of the sled done.  The 440 needs to be completely gone thru and made pretty.  Have correct Keihin carbs for both motors.

What is it with you and rusty old crap??         Mrs. Philh

Vintagesleds.com

• Advertisement

VinRacer12

• SnoPro
    • Oregon
      • Western States Vintage Snowmobile Association
    Re: Pair of 73 Triples
    « Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 04:22:23 am »
    Phil !!!!!

Good stuff Man !!!!  Good stuff !!!

neverenoughtxs

• SnoPro
    « Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 11:21:48 am »
    Phil

Awesome job so far. Glad you like your fiberglass!

Neverenoughtxs

ajjohns

• SnoPro
    • How fast did you say it'd go?
    « Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 11:50:26 am »
    Looks awesome. You have a nice place to work out of too, that makes it nice!
    Should just drive em' in the daylight anyway.

StUdEnTdRiVeR

• SnoPro
    « Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 01:03:00 pm »
    Clecos....Probably one of the best inventions ever! Beautiful work, can't wait to see more!
    Lots of piles of parts, and very few complete sleds!

gruppe_a

• SnoPro
    « Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 07:31:06 pm »
    Beautiful stuff! Love your restos Phil!
    '72 TX 500 Limited
    '74 TX 500 Limited
    '74 Colt SS 340
    '78 RXL 400 clone
    '81 Centurion Indy 500
    '86 Indy 600 LE
    '87 Indy 400
    '89 Indy 650
    '92 Indy RXL
    '94 XLT SP
    '94 Storm (2)
    '95 XLT SKS

svnuccadoc

• SnoPro
    « Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 11:02:32 pm »
    I have VERY inappropriate feelings about your shop.
    Trying to cope with the ravages of the vintage sled disease.
    PETT # 83

mtstarfires

• SnoPro
    « Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 11:33:18 pm »

me too. phils shop makes mine look like the grease pit at jiffy lube.   ken

71TXman

• Global Moderator
    • BS Hall Of Fame Member
    « Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 12:17:23 am »

I know right!! That Pontiac clock is hanging up and that poor Polaris sign is on the floor!!!  Scratch that. I now know what you are talking about after reviewing the pictures again  ???  :o   ;D

Nice work there Phil & Pep!!!! I did talk to a professional about your Polaris issues. I was told you have OCPRD which is Obsessive Compulsive Polaris Restoration Disorder. It can turn into a problem if not treated early on is what the professional said. I told them you guys are beyond help at this point.  :D

Nice work!!! Can't wait to see them finished!!!

Philh

• SnoPro
    « Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 05:03:08 pm »
    "Inappropriate feelings about my shop".......as long as that doesn't include working on Ski Doos cuz that is really inappopriate.  Oh wait, I've already done two of those.  Or Arcrtic Cats, oops, one of those.  Certainly not Rupps.....one in the rack already.  Not Yamaha for petes sake, yep, two.  Sigh, I fear my wife already has inappropriate feelings about me, but they are more in the direction of trading me in for someone not suffering from a vint sled disease in general and OCPRD in particular!

I was into Pontiacs long before sleds, and had my shop FILLED with GTO cars and parts.  The clock is one of the few things that remain from that period.  Got the Polaris sign from Pepsled, haven't hung it up yet but plan to.  Hope to fix the lights inside first.

dirtman

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • nort west mini-sota ya betcha
    « Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 07:57:51 pm »
    hey Phil....., altho the 73s aren't quite my cup of java, (a bit too new) but as a Polaris nut, most only dream of havin a 73 starfire.  you seem to bring em in and push em out like stackin cordwood!     :o   keep up the good work buddy!    ;)

dirtman
    a bunch of Polaris's   PETT # 85

Philh

• SnoPro
    « Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 12:32:41 am »
    Took the 440 motor apart and spent some time standing behind the blast cabinet.  Turned out great.  Crankcase/crank was in nice shape.  Cylinders need new nicasil.  Will send the cylinders to US Chrome.  Bought these pistons a year ago or so when a buddy had a run made.

neverenoughtxs

• SnoPro
    « Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 01:28:29 am »
    Looking good Phil sent you a pm.

Neverenoughtxs

Vics stuff

• BS Hall Of Fame Member
    • Go Big Or Go Home
    « Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 09:33:29 pm »
     Hey Phil ! Does your friend have any of the piston and rings sets left ?  I have a 440 triple and always good to have spares ?
     Vic

Philh

• SnoPro
    « Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 10:33:25 pm »
    They are gone (I wouldn't mind another set too).  Call Bill Bune Enterprises in Anoka, MN.  That is who did them.