FINALLY – Insurance for Classic Snowmobile Collectors
By Valdi Stefanson, President, Antique Snowmobile Club of America
I spoke with a vintage snowmobile guy from Michigan yesterday. He told me of three instances where entire collections of vintage snowmobiles were ruined. One when the shed burned and two where the barn roof caved in.
Ask yourself — Could I stand this loss? If the answer is NO, I bring good news! Recently, the Empire Company had a program that insured a collection of old snowmobiles. Unfortunately, two years ago they quit insuring classic snowmobiles. Since then, we worked on all the other “collector vehicle” insurers to take on snowmobiles, to no avail.
A new company has stepped up and has developed a great program — agreed value; bundling of all your machines; demonstration/trail ride coverage; different deductible & limit options; show, event and museum coverage; loading –transit-unloading coverage. The policy protects you from collision, fire, theft, wind, and hail as well as liability for bodily injury, property damage and medical payments.
This policy was developed by an insurance broker that is a great asset to all of us snowmobilers. In fact, Dale Vagts is an International Snowmobile Hall of Fame (ISHOF) inductee from Iowa. Contact: Robin Schultz, V & V Insurance @ 563 382 4720.
– Will insure all your classic snowmobiles in one policy.
– Valuation is “agreed value”. You supply a picture and fair estimate of value. (Appraisals required on sleds with values over $ 15,000).
– Liability, medical payments and physical damage coverage with many different deductible and limit options.
– Snowmobiles must be over 30 years of age.
– Insured sleds must be garaged in a locked enclosed facility.
– Coverage is restricted to non-racing exhibitions & shows. Occasional pleasure drives are permitted.
– Coverage available in CO, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NE, ND, OH, OR, SD, UT, WA, WI. Coming soon in MI.
– Off premise coverage for sled while at a show, exhibition or museum.
– Coverage applies while in transit, while loading or unloading.
– Policy provides up to $ 500 in coverage for spare parts.
– Minimum premium is $ 100/year.
There will be other particulars that you need to understand. Call the agent for full details.